Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

‘Game of his life’: Dog continues stunning career turnaround after shutdown of star

Ben Cotton from Fox Sports
    September 12th, 2021 12:50 pm

Western Bulldogs swingman Josh Schache has been praised for his shutdown role on All-Australian defender Aliir Aliir in Saturday night’s 71-point preliminary final win over Port Adelaide.

It continued a resurgence of the former Pick 2’s career, with injuries at the Dogs opening up senior opportunities for him in the back end of the year to feature in six games since Round 19.

And now, Schache’s played key roles at either end of the ground in the lead into their grand final showdown against Melbourne.

Traded from the Brisbane Lions to the Dogs at the end of 2017, Schache’s struggled to make an impact at AFL level and thus get regular senior opportunities.

But he proved his worth in Saturday night’s negating role on Aliir to restrict him from his normal impact – who was ranked No. 1 in the competition during the home and away season in scores created from intercepts.

“His role was pivotal in the outcome. He was dangerous, he probably should’ve had one or two more goals,” Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge told reporters post-match.

“His ability to complete in the air and reduce Aliir’s and their whole defence’s intercept game was outstanding.

“I’m so rapt for all the boys but there are some lads who, whether they’ve been maligned or haven’t necessarily cemented themselves at the level that are no emerging.

“I’m just so happy that they’ve persevered and they’re having a big impact in what we’re trying to achieve. Schache’s definitely one of those guys.”

Beveridge highlighted the key role Schache played against the Demons last time the teams met in Round 19, filling a key defensive post down back after Alex Keath went down with injury.

It proved to be the catalyst in turning Schache’s career around.

“Schache had to really stand up and he played so well that night and we won that game,” he said.

“Now he’s back forward in probably his more familiar position and had a little bit of a negative tone to it tonight as far as reducing their intercept impact and he was outstanding.”

Hawthorn legend Dermott Brereton also lauded Schache post-match on Fox Footy, saying it was “the most memorable game of sport he’s played in his life”.

Bulldogs great Brad Johnson acknowledged how the 24-year old has found his feet at senior level.

“He’s played his way into a grand final team,” Johnson said.

“When everyone thought his career was going to peter out the back end, because he couldn’t get into the senior team. When he did, he just couldn’t find his way in terms of performance.

“Now he’s provided five weeks of very good football as a defender, now as a forward the last three weeks as well. He did a great job tonight on Aliir Aliir the way he was so diligent in his performance.

“He never went away what was being asked of him in his positioning and he stood up. One of the best players on the ground tonight without a question.”

Schache has played 63 AFL games since making his debut in 2016
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks SquirrelGrip, macca, Raw Toast, josie thanked for this post
    Likes DOG GOD, Mofra, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ‘Game of his life’: Dog continues stunning career turnaround after shutdown of star

I was there before it was fashionable.

So happy Josh can read the sports news on the net and hear praise like that. So much confidence coming into the GF.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes DOG GOD, Sedat, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ‘Game of his life’: Dog continues stunning career turnaround after shutdown of star

Back in my day when a forward took a bunch of marks and kicked a few goals they “beat” their defender. Don’t know what this “shutdown” nonsense is about.

Maybe, just maybe, Aliir isn’t much of a defender when he has to, you know, defend.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Back in my day when a forward took a bunch of marks and kicked a few goals they “beat” their defender. Don’t know what this “shutdown” nonsense is about.

Maybe, just maybe, Aliir isn’t much of a defender when he has to, you know, defend.
    I think Aliir getting AA this year will be a real 'wtf' when it's looked back on in a few years. Similar to DBJ.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I think Aliir getting AA this year will be a real 'wtf' when it's looked back on in a few years. Similar to DBJ.
    This is funny

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Schache

Joshua Schache (born 21 August 1997) is a professional Australian rules footballer with the Western Bulldogs in the Australian Football League (AFL). He previously played for the Brisbane Lions from 2016 to 2017. Josh is the father of Port Adelaide defender Aliir Aliir
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Thanks MrMahatma thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, EasternWest, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don’t get me wrong, I like Aliir and think he can be a great contributor, and Port did well to put him in the best possible position to succeed. But he can definitely be exposed defensively if challenged, which we managed to do twice this year.

But wow DBJ. That was some serious “I am very smart” bullshit from the AA selectors.

Post Thanks / Like

Shades of Tom Boyd’s efforts in the 2016 prelim

11. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I'm a little slow! Who is DBJ
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Sorry I'm a little slow! Who is DBJ
    Darcy Byrne Jones (Port HBF)

14. Thanks ratsmac thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Darcy Byrne Jones (Port HBF)
    Gave up at least 2 or 3 goals to his direct opponent in the first quarter. You will see him and his dirty mullet trailing Bazlenka and his luscious locks as he strolls in to kick the first.

16. Likes bulldogtragic, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Gave up at least 2 or 3 goals to his direct opponent in the first quarter. You will see him and his dirty mullet trailing Bazlenka and his luscious locks as he strolls in to kick the first.
    He doesn’t like defending very much, does he? All front running or bust.

Post Thanks / Like

He was quite influential against us in round 23, positioning himself defensively at stoppages. Not this time.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

DBJ killed us in round 23 with him sitting off the back of the pack and then a lot of front running. I suggest we had a good look at that and put plans in place accordingly.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

He was quite influential against us in round 23, positioning himself defensively at stoppages. Not this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    DBJ killed us in round 23 with him sitting off the back of the pack and then a lot of front running. I suggest we had a good look at that and put plans in place accordingly.
    I’ve had my memory of R21-23 surgically erased. So I will take your words for it.

21. Likes azabob, The Pie Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It happens every year with a small defender who is ostensibly bad but “well actually” is allegedly the best small defender who actually defends guys despite it being far more difficult to quantify with most smalls beyond scoreboard impact. They tried with Starcevich this year, and have with the likes of Neville Jetta recently. Carlton fell for it brutally and gave up pick 8 for Saad.

The best small defenders are the ones who actually look good. Shocking I know.