Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  258
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs vs Hawthorn - Community Series 2/03/24

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Hmmm...my go to of bashing Churchill might not work on him.
    Target his fake medical degree.

2. Likes azabob, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Target his fake medical degree.
    Maybe if I reveal I'm Father Doctor hujsh and my medical qualifications are from God that'll get him

4. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the Weightman in the middle didn’t work.
    He is a forward pocket or a HFF
    I’m glad he was tried it’s what practice matches are for.
    You don’t know unless you give it a go.
    He looked lost to be honest.
    Put him back to FP and bang he takes a mark , goal.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Very little pressure from either team during this match.
    I have my concerns that our pre-season hit outs will leave us underdone for Melbourne given they will have had a round zero match. We'll see - just hoping we don'y get jumped with the increase in intensity.
    Negatives
    - Still felt we bombed it too much inside 50. I was hoping to see more method particularly given the weak opposition
    - Drop off in the second qtr had all the hallmarks of our worst performances over the last few years
    - kicking for goal
    - English still dropping too many marks he should take
    Positives
    - we look fitter
    - Sanders
    - Buku
    - Westy
    - Marra looks to have taken the next step
    - Early signs good for Coff
    - Love the ground being covered by Naughts

7. Likes Uninformed, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Well the Weightman in the middle didn’t work.
    He is a forward pocket or a HFF
    I’m glad he was tried it’s what practice matches are for.
    You don’t know unless you give it a go.
    He looked lost to be honest.
    Put him back to FP and bang he takes a mark , goal.
    I think some of Weightman through the middle is about getting him into the game as well. He was incredibly hot or cold in 2023 - seemed like we could either get a four-goal or a 4-disposal game on a week-to-week basis. I think letting him roll through the middle for 5 minutes a quarter is more about getting him involved, getting the footy in his hands and trying to lift the 'floor' on some of his poorer performances.
    Last edited by lemmon; 04-03-2024 at 01:34 PM.

9. Likes bornadog, hujsh, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I think some of Weightman through the middle is about getting him into the game as well. He was incredibly hot or cold in 2024 - seemed like we could either get a four-goal or a 4-disposal game on a week-to-week basis. I think letting him roll through the middle for 5 minutes a quarter is more about getting him involved, getting the footy in his hands and trying to lift the 'floor' on some of his poorer performances.
    He was getting locked down by the best tagger in the game (Maginness) - a small forward getting sat on that much absolutely should move up the ground or try and change it up.
    McNeill created opportunities (especially the first half) and West had 3 goals and created 5 more so in a way it worked, take their most dangerous defensive asset away from the chaos ball in our deep F50.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glove38 View Post
    Negatives
    - Still felt we bombed it too much inside 50. I was hoping to see more method particularly given the weak opposition
    I was particularly not happy with this. I thought we have been trying to move the ball quicker from The backline to forward, and not giving the opposition time to clutter up the forwards so they can then lead more. Yet we kept bombing it hopping our big forwards marked it
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He was getting locked down by the best tagger in the game (Maginness) - a small forward getting sat on that much absolutely should move up the ground or try and change it up.
    McNeill created opportunities (especially the first half) and West had 3 goals and created 5 more so in a way it worked, take their most dangerous defensive asset away from the chaos ball in our deep F50.
    I would pick them all. If McNeil can’t get a game after his last two weeks then why did we bother relisting him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

13. Likes GVGjr, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I think some of Weightman through the middle is about getting him into the game as well. He was incredibly hot or cold in 2023 - seemed like we could either get a four-goal or a 4-disposal game on a week-to-week basis. I think letting him roll through the middle for 5 minutes a quarter is more about getting him involved, getting the footy in his hands and trying to lift the 'floor' on some of his poorer performances.
    I agree with you but you can’t sacrifice losing a game because a player isn’t getting a touch in his position to another position he is no good at.
    As I said I am glad we tried it, it gave us an idea and him an idea, that’s what practice matches are for . No doubt he picked up a lot of learning from it and maybe in the future, but it was clear he isn’t anywhere near it atm.
    Roll him through but then the opposition take over as you have split a winning midfield up .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I would pick them all. If McNeil can?t get a game after his last two weeks then why did we bother relisting him.
    They were practice matches against the same opposition, one of them we selected a side that suggested we weren't that serious about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's yet to be seen whether our changes across Coffield, Bramble, Duryea and JJ, or Khamis and JOD fighting it out with Keath and Gardner on the sidelines with claims, will actually improve us.

Our major issue in defence last year was a lack of continuity and cohesion, it genuinely cost us a finals place. I don't really stress over who ends up in the final side because abilities across the board are close to parity, give or take some attributes when on song (i.e. JJ's run and kicking). Whoever we pick in defence needs to learn to play together without too many injuries disrupting things, and get good experiences across games under their belts.
    It is a good point. You can get a bit fussed over who is a couple of percent better, but over all considering individual strengths and weaknesses it is not make or break. And as you say cohesion is way more important.

17. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Practice match or match simulation or a home and away game how good is Libba

I think I will lose a fair bit on interest when he decides to call it time.

Just a footballer who could and can play in any era

19. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to rain on the parade, after all a 50+ point win is emphatic, and yes there were some good performances mostly in patches. But I'm certainly not in the all's well camp far from it. To my eyes we did not in any way show that the lapses and problems of the past few seasons have been overcome. In fact the opposite.

To kick only two goals in a half of football against such decimated opposition was to put it politely very poor. Had we done that against any of the better teams we would have been so far behind at half time the game would have been beyond reach. Caste your mind back, how many top teams did we beat last year?

We replicated several fundamental and continuing weaknesses.

We showed in the first part of the game that we can dominate and still not put the opposition away.
    We showed that after dominating we can be dominated. The good for a while bad for a while still haunts us.

Furthermore when the opposition gets a run on we have no idea how to stop it. This seems to be characterised by two features.

Firstly too often if we don't win the ball out of the centre the opposition make us pay. Too often we can't shut them down.
    Secondly once they gain possession their players are suddenly in all space, and we are chasing tail forlornly.

Maybe our list isn't as good as I think it is. I ask myself, who played well for 4 quarters? I don?t come up with a lot of names. I admit in the long run the gap in class between the two sides was reflected in the result. But if we?re so fit and so ready, why did it take so long to become apparent?
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    I don't want to rain on the parade, after all a 50+ point win is emphatic, and yes there were some good performances mostly in patches. But I'm certainly not in the all's well camp far from it. To my eyes we did not in any way show that the lapses and problems of the past few seasons have been overcome. In fact the opposite.

To kick only two goals in a half of football against such decimated opposition was to put it politely very poor. Had we done that against any of the better teams we would have been so far behind at half time the game would have been beyond reach. Caste your mind back, how many top teams did we beat last year?

We replicated several fundamental and continuing weaknesses.

We showed in the first part of the game that we can dominate and still not put the opposition away.
    We showed that after dominating we can be dominated. The good for a while bad for a while still haunts us.

Furthermore when the opposition gets a run on we have no idea how to stop it. This seems to be characterised by two features.

Firstly too often if we don't win the ball out of the centre the opposition make us pay. Too often we can't shut them down.
    Secondly once they gain possession their players are suddenly in all space, and we are chasing tail forlornly.

Maybe our list isn't as good as I think it is. I ask myself, who played well for 4 quarters? I don?t come up with a lot of names. I admit in the long run the gap in class between the two sides was reflected in the result. But if we?re so fit and so ready, why did it take so long to become apparent?
    I am hoping it was just brushing off the cobwebs and that’s the last we see of it.
    We also did it two weeks ago.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

The importance of our inaccuracy can't be overstated. 12 times in the first half we handed the ball back to them...clearance dominance doesn't matter when you're gifting possession so frequently. It felt like Hawthorn were very good at maintaining possession during that period - I think their conversion from rebound 50 to inside 50/scoring shot would have been pretty good.