Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Simon Garlick Quits

The Western Bulldogs today announces the resignation of CEO Simon Garlick. Simon’s resignation has been accepted by the Board. Simon has been Chief Executive since 2010 and over the period in the role he has demonstrated great leadership and commitment.

The search for a new CEO will begin immediately.

Club President Peter Gordon said, “Simon has played an important role for the Club in a pivotal and difficult period of its history in which we have re-built following three successive preliminary finals appearances and a cyclical downturn coupled with the unfortunately timed loss of key players when GWS and GCS were introduced to the competition, and key draft choices which ordinarily would have been available to us were given to the new Clubs. Under his leadership, the Club has maintained membership levels through this period of indifferent on-field performance and he has maintained the economic position of the Club through that difficult time.”

Some of the Club’s achievements that Simon has overseen as Chief Executive include:

• Club revenue has grown and its debt levels have reduced by over $1.5 million in the past 3 years. These results were achieved during a time in which the Club significantly increased football expenditure which will benefit future player recruiting, development and coaching.
    • The construction of the Edgewater project has progressed to a stage where it will be open and operational later in 2015.
    • The Club has played a key role in the equalisation process that will continue to provide more opportunities for smaller clubs.
    • The Club successfully re-introduced the Footscray team into the VFL, winning the Premiership and providing another pathway to develop our exciting young list.
    • The Club renewed the Mission major sponsorship for a further 3 years, making it the longest major sponsorship in the Club’s history.
    • The Club raised $1.5 million for the next development phase of the Victoria University Whitten Oval and construction has commenced so it will be ready for the NAB Cup game against Richmond.
    • The announcement of a partnership with the City of Ballarat and the State Government’s commitment to developing Eureka Stadium for AFL.

The Club successfully ran for the first time the ‘Sons of the West’, a community Men’s Health initiative supporting men living and working in Melbourne’s West to lead healthier lives and raised over a million dollars to support the programs in difficult economic times.
    Garlick said he had given the decision much thought and consideration, “I have decided after over 13 years with the Club as a player, Board member, manager and as the Chief Executive that the time is right for me to resign and start a new chapter in my life and career.”

“I believe it’s in the best interests of the Club, my family and myself at this time given the recent appointment of a new Coach, a stable Board in place and a new five year strategic plan for the Club ready to be launched. I’m proud of all I have accomplished here at Western Bulldogs during my tenure as the Chief Executive. During this period I have truly appreciated the support of staff, colleagues but most of all my incredible wife and family. It has been a privilege to serve the Club in this capacity after representing it as a player.”

“I would like to acknowledge all of the Club staff for their dedication and hard work – they mean a great deal to me and I wish them all the best. I also want to thank the loyal Bulldog members for whom the Club exists. I wish Rob Murphy and all Players, Luke Beveridge and his Coaches and the entire Club all the very best. The football talent is clearly present and foundations are there for future success.”

A sub-committee of the Board led by the Chair of the Club’s Audit & Risk Committee, Gary Kent, will lead the search for a successor. Egon Zender partner Fiona McGeochie, who assisted in the recruitment process for new coach Luke Beveridge will be a member of the committee. (Egon Zender were also retained by the AFL in the recruitment of Gillon McLachlan as AFL CEO and for the selectin of new AFL Commissioners Simone Wilkie and Jason Ball).

Pending the appointment of a new CEO, the role and duties of CEO will be shared between Club President Peter Gordon and Chief Operating Officer Michael Quinn.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Simon Garlick Quits

Big Surprise

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... Didn't see that coming. Job elsewhere? Probably GWS..

4. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    No reasons yet
    They briefly spoke about it on SEN and will talk more later, they said that our President did not think Garlick had the experience to take the club forward?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jam Donuts View Post
    They briefly spoke about it on SEN and will talk more later, they said that our President did not think Garlick had the experience to take the club forward?
    Not surprised by that comment

Post Thanks / Like

Hope they have someone experienced in mind.
    Going to look a tad silly if they bring in a greenhorn

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Grant may be also stepping down at this weeks AGM

From Melbourne, to London and now Perth WA
    Post Thanks / Like

Reckon he was a yes man and we probably need someone with a tad more of a robust style...

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't see this coming.
    When first appointed - I queried what experience/capabilities/qualifications Simon had to have been appointed to the role. However, he has been pretty impressive over the last few years.
    Will be interesting to see who ends up in his chair.

Post Thanks / Like

Not surprised after the last 6 months.

We seem to be in free fall.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I never liked Garlick. I thought he was way too inexperienced, nervy in front of the camera and unable to really provide a strong presence to assist selling our product. It sounds like garlick has been tapped on the shoulder. I wonder if we've head hunted a more experienced person with a bigger, robust personality and a higher business acumen.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am surprised. I thought he did a very good job. He always had the best interest of our club in mind. He was fantastic to talk to, very corporate minded. He will be a loss.
    WOOF Member 422

15. Likes WBFC4FFC, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Didn't see this coming.
    When first appointed - I queried what experience/capabilities/qualifications Simon had to have been appointed to the role. However, he has been pretty impressive over the last few years.
    Will be interesting to see who ends up in his chair.
    Interested to hear your thoughts on what he has done during his tenure that has been impressive?

A cleanout of the coaching staff was always going to be followed by a cleanout at management level - important decisions made by senior management in the last couple of years have effectively been wiped this off-season, so the likes of Garlick and Chris Grant were always going to be skating on thin ice as a result.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Interested to hear your thoughts on what he has done during his tenure that has been impressive?

A cleanout of the coaching staff was always going to be followed by a cleanout at management level - important decisions made by senior management in the last couple of years have effectively been wiped this off-season, so the likes of Garlick and Chris Grant were always going to be skating on thin ice as a result.
    Sedat, where have you been?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Not surprised after the last 6 months.

We seem to be in free fall.
    My perception is that we had stabilised very well after the traumas of October.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured