Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

Boyd 'determined more than ever': Beveridge

Link

TOM Boyd's five-goal display in the VFL on the weekend is an encouraging sign the premiership hero could be returning to his best, says Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge.

Boyd hasn't played at senior level since round 13 last year due to mental health and form issues and had struggled with Footscray at state league level in recent weeks.

However, the 22-year-old key forward's confidence appears to be building after an all-round performance against Coburg on Saturday netted five goals, 23 possessions, six marks, six tackles and 11 hit-outs.

Beveridge told Channel Seven on Monday night Boyd is desperate to recapture the form that made him one of club's most valuable players in the 2016 premiership triumph.

"He's determined more than ever to get back to his best and there were some really good signs on the weekend," Beveridge said.

"Tom kicked three goals in a 10-minute patch, and two of them were as a midfielder.

"We've got a bit of tall timber in our Footscray side at the moment, so by keeping them all involved we threw Tommy and Josh Schache on the ball and they both did well.

"They're encouraging signs, and I had a chat to him last week about one or two things."

Schache is another young, high-profile forward plying his trade at Whitten Oval, with the former Lion also struggling with form and the rigours of the game.

The 20-year-old had little influence in two JLT Community Series appearances and has battled injury in recent weeks, but Beveridge has called for patience and says the wait will be worth it.

"(Josh) is going to take some time, he is a young foal and physically developing," Beveridge said.
    "For him to be a really effective key forward at AFL level on a consistent basis, it will take another two or three years, I'd say.

"That's not to say he won't play in our team (sooner), but we love the way he's gone about his pre-season.
    "We see him as a very promising player who will play well for us in the future."

With Jack Redpath joining Boyd and Schache as three key forwards on the Dogs' list, Beveridge said defensive structures in modern football made it very hard for teams to have a tall attacker play predominantly close to goal.

The premiership mentor demands flexibility from his chargers, with Boyd and Redpath both spending plenty of time in the ruck over the past few seasons.

"I think there is (room) depending the team you've got playing with you and the extent of (the player's) skill set," Beveridge said.

"The game has changed, but I think most teams have explored a one-out forward deep for the whole game, and that affects (the team's) defensive structure a little bit.

"I think there is, but it would take an exceptional player to pull it off."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Eastdog, SquirrelGrip, WBFC4FFC, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boyd 'determined more than ever': Beveridge

Looking forward to seeing Tom back playing in the seniors soon. From the VFL reports on the weekend very good signs.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

It's an interesting article and insightful comments from Bevo. Such a dominant junior forward, Schache too.

I remember reading something about Schache's old coach saying something about how junior forwards play TAC being completely different to how they would play forward at AFL level, the transition being like you've got a plumbing apprenticeship but everyone is playing like an electrician.
    I can't remember the commentators name maybe McGuane. Said tall forwards are completely ill-equipped to play AFL due to how defenses structure up.

Bevo's comments struck me because he pretty much stated that stay at home forwards are a thing of the past, yet thats exactly what Tom / Josh were drafted to do.

Let's hope one of them is exceptional.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It's an interesting article and insightful comments from Bevo. Such a dominant junior forward, Schache too.

I remember reading something about Schache's old coach saying something about how junior forwards play TAC being completely different to how they would play forward at AFL level, the transition being like you've got a plumbing apprenticeship but everyone is playing like an electrician.
    I can't remember the commentators name maybe McGuane. Said tall forwards are completely ill-equipped to play AFL due to how defenses structure up.

Bevo's comments struck me because he pretty much stated that stay at home forwards are a thing of the past, yet thats exactly what Tom / Josh were drafted to do.

Let's hope one of them is exceptional.
    There was an article last week about young key position players that mentions some reasons why KPFs struggle to adapt to AFL:
    "The ones who have not yet got there have had different reasons. There's been injuries, some haven't coped as well with the demands of the game, some have battled with the athleticism and defensive pressure required of tall forwards, and some need to be more competitive," a recruiter said.

Another view is that the anti-density rules in the TAC Cup – which forces each side to always have at least two forwards and two defenders inside 50 – actually hinders the key forwards' development as it is unrealistic of the challenges they'll face at AFL level with busy forward lines and extra numbers dropping back.
    Draft revisionism: The problem with talls

6. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That article Axe Man just goes to show that fiddling with the rules in the TAC is so wrong Fiddling with any rules changes the game and in this case has affected the way young KPP learn and develop their trade.

Pretty sure those TAC rules will be introduced into AFLW, and maybe one day in the AFL if Hocking and his cronies get their way.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

How stupid is it to have different rules in the feeder competition to the senior competition? I didn't know that was the case.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite