Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  31

View Poll Results: Can we beat the Power?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope - It'll be over by half time.

0 0%
  • Nope - We'll keep it close-ish but they're too good.

7 13.73%
  • Yeah...Nah. Within a kick or so but not over there.

7 13.73%
  • Yeah - It'll be tough but the boys will squeak it out.

30 58.82%
  • Yeah - Why are you asking? Second set of 6 coming up!

7 13.73%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: We're 7-1. Does anyone think we can beat Port?

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Without looking up the stats I assume we are close to the top in not allowing opposition inside 50s, therefore it's difficult to rebound from 50 if it doesn't get there.
    It also doesn't help when our KPDs are more likely to punch than be in a position to intercept mark.
    Keath can do it when he's released to play a no 2 role, Cordy doesn't do it, Garnder rarely and Young only does it when there are no opponents around him.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Yes, we can beat anyone on our day.
    My main concern is the second or third tall forward getting us - we need to win the inside 50 count for us to win.

Against Carlton we actually adjusted our midfield set up after halftime (ignore the "no plan B" talk, it's nonsense) and would often set up with all our midfielders defending the Carlton side of the stoppage at the centre bounce. It was an interesting tactic that won't be as effective against Port.
    We changed the personnel in there too with Bailey Smith attending more than he had all season I believe.
    Similar to the Eagles game when Treloar went into the middle in the last quarter.

Post Thanks / Like

It also doesn't help when our KPDs are more likely to punch than be in a position to intercept mark.
    Keath can do it when he's released to play a no 2 role, Cordy doesn't do it, Garnder rarely and Young only does it when there are no opponents around him.
    Isn't a rebound 50 simply the ball exiting our defensive 50 (a reverse inside 50)? Basically every entry that doesn't result in a goal (or the quarter ending) will be a rebound 50?

It might be a slow rebound but it's still a rebound as long as the opposition don't kick a goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't a rebound 50 simply the ball exiting our defensive 50 (a reverse inside 50)? Basically every entry that doesn't result in a goal (or the quarter ending) will be a rebound 50?

It might be a slow rebound but it's still a rebound as long as the opposition don't kick a goal.
    From AFL site:

REBOUND 50 - Moving the ball from the defensive zone into the midfield.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It is, but we seem to be getting rebound 50s from our smalls (IIRC Dale & Williams were getting high stats in the area) but other top teams have talls and mid sizers/small contributing.

Dale is statting as just about the best 'general' defender in the comp this year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah ... I'd love to say we've got this, but Port are really good at home. If we were in our round 3 form I think we could knock them off, but not on last week's performance.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Going semantics, more will we rather than can we.

The confidence is quite low for a team that is 7-1 and beat Power last time on their own deck. Clearly we are a chance, but they are the favourites.

8. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is, but we seem to be getting rebound 50s from our smalls (IIRC Dale & Williams were getting high stats in the area) but other top teams have talls and mid sizers/small contributing.

Dale is statting as just about the best 'general' defender in the comp this year.
    True, but that is more relevant to the intercept marks and intercept possession stats, not rebound 50s.

Rebound 50s only tell us how often the ball goes inside defensive 50 and doesn't result in an opposition goal. Being last in rebound 50s is a good thing so long as your percentage of goals per inside 50 conceded is also low.

Post Thanks / Like

We were stiff to go down over there last season, and if you’re only as good as your last quarter...

On the other hand, how good are they at home, and how slack were Carlton in the last 30 minutes on Sunday?

I’ll tip a loss, but it should be a cracking game.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

True, but that is more relevant to the intercept marks and intercept possession stats, not rebound 50s.

Rebound 50s only tell us how often the ball goes inside defensive 50 and doesn't result in an opposition goal. Being last in rebound 50s is a good thing so long as your percentage of goals per inside 50 conceded is also low.
    Being last in rebound 50's is also a product of being last in Inside 50s conceded, which was your previous point.

I believe we do concede scores when opposition get inside 50 which is also a consequence of defending high to prevent inside 50s.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I think we will win.

In last years match we actually had more shots at goal than Port (5.12 to 8.7) and broke even in most areas except for contested marks (21-6). Dixon and Georgiadis took 8 between them, whilst we had Bruce only get 2 possessions, Naughton didn't play, and Wallis didn't have an impact. I think with Naughton, Bruce and English up forward, we pose a different threat this year.

If we defend well enough as a team, including the mids, and bring an attitude that matches Port's ferocity, then I think we will have too much for them.

Post Thanks / Like

We got this.

Post Thanks / Like

I respect Port because they're a good overall team with a bit of firepower up forward and a mix of talented youngsters.
    At home I regard them as a bit of a force but I think we should start as favorites

Looking forward to this game but I think we will nab it by 14 points.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Without looking up the stats I assume we are close to the top in not allowing opposition inside 50s, therefore it's difficult to rebound from 50 if it doesn't get there.
    But remember, not allowing the opposition to enter our defencive fifty is apparently a bad thing.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    But remember, not allowing the opposition to enter our defencive fifty is apparently a bad thing.
    Yep. Shows signs of cowardice and an unwillingness to be scored against for the good of the competition.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

17. Likes jeemak liked this post