Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 37 of 175 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787137 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

I just got this txt from my mother that I thought I would share...

Liam Jones to the Dogs, Jarrod Grant and Billy Gowers to follow lol

Ahh bloody Melbourne supporters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I just got this txt from my mother that I thought I would share...

Liam Jones to the Dogs, Jarrod Grant and Billy Gowers to follow lol

Ahh bloody Melbourne supporters.
    Now that's something to celebrate!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

3. Thanks kruder thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Liam Jones meets with Western Bulldogs as potential homecoming looms after league relaxed vax rules

A homecoming for Liam Jones back to the Western Bulldogs is a step closer after a secret meeting at football boss Chris Grant’s Williamstown home.

The former Blue was spotted entering Grant’s house with his partner on Tuesday morning where he sat down with Dogs officials including list manager Sam Power.

Jones is in Melbourne to hold talks with a number of clubs after the AFL last week cleared the way for the vaccine-hesitant defender to play next year.

The Bulldogs desperately need to boost its tall defender stocks and there is a fairytale feel about a player who they developed for six years returning to the fold.

Jones, 31, played mainly as a forward during his 66-game stay at the Whitten Oval before moving to Carlton where his career took off when switched to defence.

He walked away from Carlton after 95 games in seven seasons last November because of the league‘s vaccine mandate.

Jones has been playing for Palm Beach Currumbin in the QAFL.

He met Essendon list manager Adrian Dodoro in Queensland last week with an eye to returning to the top level.

Carlton has ruled out redrafting Jones with the Blues likely to seek compensation from the AFL given he’s now been given the green light to return.

Jones finished eighth in Carlton’s best and fairest last year after playing 19 of a possible 22 matches.

He rated elite among key defenders for one-on-one contests and intercept marks and above average for spoils and intercept possessions.

Essendon coach Ben Rutten last week confirmed his club was doing its “due diligence” around the possible recruitment of Jones.

The Bombers’ developing young backline has been exposed this year and are undersized.

“There’s some recent shifting in some of the rules,” Rutten said when asked about Jones on Friday.

“So it’s really just part of our due diligence as a club. Moving forward we’re looking at all avenues as to how we can improve our list and improve our squads.

“All that stuff will play out as the year goes on.”

The AFL opened the door for unvaccinated players including Jones and St Kilda AFL Women’s young gun Georgia Patrikios to return to training immediately, shifting its firm vaccine ruling to “strongly encouraging” all AFL and AFLW players and industry figures to have an up to date vaccine status.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting my solo Caleb Graham bandwagon.

I hope Jones isn't the only KPD were talking to
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

6. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'm starting my solo Caleb Graham bandwagon.

I hope Jones isn't the only KPD were talking to
    We need some young KPD for the future.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Sorry if this has been raised previously but thoughts on Cam Zurhaar? Out of contract at the end of the year. Could add a really hard, big body to our forward line and can play tall or small. Has kicked goals at North while starved of opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's done very well but I don't think he fits our more glaring needs.
    I'm of the view that if you can improve your list at the right price you should improve your list at the right price.

We need an actual mid sized forward as much as we need any other type of player. So if we can get him and he is good to play and doesn't mean we need to overspend, then get him.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Likes Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The question is, can we get Zurhaar 'at the right price' and it's pretty clear that we couldn't and shouldn't match what other clubs could offer him.

Our priority must be a key back. As you can imagine there isn't an abundance of quality key position players on the market as they tend to be a rare breed. Port Adelaide's targeting of Aliir Aliir shows it can be done if the work is done properly.

Caleb Graham is a legitimate option and I hope the club explores that option. I'd love to return the favour on Brisbane who poached Adams from us, and consider Payne for the right price. He has the skill set to fill a specific need. I understand why we would look at Jones but would prefer if we could attract a younger more promising prospect. Is there anyone else out there that we could realistically be targeting?

11. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We need some young KPD for right now.
    Fixed that for you.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    The question is, can we get Zurhaar 'at the right price' and it's pretty clear that we couldn't and shouldn't match what other clubs could offer him.

Our priority must be a key back. As you can imagine there isn't an abundance of quality key position players on the market as they tend to be a rare breed. Port Adelaide's targeting of Aliir Aliir shows it can be done if the work is done properly.

Caleb Graham is a legitimate option and I hope the club explores that option. I'd love to return the favour on Brisbane who poached Adams from us, and consider Payne for the right price. He has the skill set to fill a specific need. I understand why we would look at Jones but would prefer if we could attract a younger more promising prospect. Is there anyone else out there that we could realistically be targeting?
    Mofra has been also suggesting Jaxon Payne for the last couple of years and by all accounts so has the club but no luck yet.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Mofra has been also suggesting Jaxon Payne for the last couple of years and by all accounts so has the club but no luck yet.
    Yep we chased him last year prior to him recommitting to the Lions.

Weirdly, they are linked to Logue (not the frontrunner)

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs coach opens up on ‘total coincidence’ behind defender’s return rumours

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says his club is being “vigilant” in efforts to improve its list but wouldn’t bite on talk the club is chasing anti-vaccination defender Liam Jones.

Amid reports Bulldogs football manager Chris Grant reportedly met with Jones, who opted out of his Carlton contract for this season after refusing to be vaccinated against Covid-19, Beveridge opted for silence on Wednesday.

The AFL last week ended its compulsory vaccine mandate, leaving Jones, 31, free to return in 2023 and it’s understood Essendon is one of the clubs chasing his services.

Jones, who has been playing in Queensland with Palm Beach-Currumbin, began his career at the Bulldogs in 2010, but Beveridge said he wouldn’t comment on any players the club was chasing.

“You know Liam’s manager lives a few doors up from Chris Grant so someone’s obviously seen him walking into his manager’s place and assumed it was Granty’s place,” Beveridge said of the reported meeting.

“With any potential acquisition players, I’ll always be silent during the year just out of respect for our own playing group. Any overtures, or anything that’s in the pipeline from a list management perspective, I’m always silent on.”

But Beveridge said the Bulldogs would likely be looking for a key defender, like Jones, ahead of next season.

“Rest assured we’re quite vigilant behind the scenes in what we might be doing at the end of the year and even now, but I don’t want to be specific around needs,” he said.

“There’s a lot of commentary around where we might be able to improve our group and you’d imagine we might be thinking along similar lines.”

The Bulldogs should welcome back both star forward Aaron Naughton and key midfielder Lachie Hunter for Saturday’s showdown with Melbourne.

The pair will train on Thursday to prove their fitness after overcoming Covid and Beveridge said the week off could have benefited Naughton in particular.

“He’s played every game and you see him week to week with a bandage on his knee,” Beveridge said.

“He’s had some knocks but he’s kept coming up. Hopefully, he’s freshened up a little bit.”

Post Thanks / Like

Haha Bevo and his magical spin.

Who would know anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Haha Bevo and his magical spin.

Who would know anymore.
    Since Power has taken over we leak far less.
    Both a blessing and a curse

Post Thanks / Like

Grundy anyone?
    Mattie Lloyd:
    “The Western Bulldogs. Grundy gets Brownlow votes every time he plays the Western Bulldogs. Imagine (Marcus) Bontempelli and those guys (roving to Grundy). ‘Tim English, you can help (Aaron) Naughton forward, Brodie join Bontempelli and those guys in the midfield’ – it’d be unbelievable.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Grundy anyone?
    Mattie Lloyd:
    “The Western Bulldogs. Grundy gets Brownlow votes every time he plays the Western Bulldogs. Imagine (Marcus) Bontempelli and those guys (roving to Grundy). ‘Tim English, you can help (Aaron) Naughton forward, Brodie join Bontempelli and those guys in the midfield’ – it’d be unbelievable.”
    Where does the money come to pay him?

We would need to off-load someone on considerable money to afford Grundy... unless Collingwood want to pay half.

And would English want to play as a ruck/ forward? Based on previous commentary it's a no.