Thanks Thanks:  36
Likes Likes:  113
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Martin

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Lets get him now. We need to impress him and as GVGjr says, not just with money, but the overall culture and environment of the Whitten Oval. Nail this one Sam.
    There are 4 things I think we can offer a player like Martin

A great salary...that is a bit of a no brainer
    A great culture...have a look at the quality of our leadership group and coaches etc
    The opportunity to play finals...we are now back on track and it's a more than competitive playing list
    The opportunity to help this club set-up an indigenous programme that will last for many years after he finishes playing. A true chance to progress the indigenous culture within the club.

There is a lot more for Martin to consider than just his pay packet. This is a genuine once in a lifetime opportunity to be a leader in so many area's.

Lets be honest, how does he say no?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes ratsmac, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Tom Browne reporting we are leading the race for Martin
    Reported that he met with Bevo yesterday in an inner city location. I guess that's normal when you're still in the finals.

https://amp.triplem.com.au/story/tom...mpression=true

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Sunday games.
    Lack of indigenous teammates.

That counts against us
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't have said it any better. I am really really hoping we can land him, and would happily pay 'overs' to trump the Bombers and Blues.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I can talk about him a bit - not from the past couple of years as I really haven't seen him much since 2015.

He is a very hard worker. He is well liked by his team-mates and has an 'old head' on his shoulders. He wouldn't like the losing too much and is a very prideful person. He is THE great, unrealised talent in the AFL today (with Callum Ah Chee not far behind him - but Jack is better than Cal).

We are talking about a genuine, first overall pick in the draft type talent. The other 3x pre-draft selections (two awarded the Giants, two awarded the Suns) were Crouch (Brad version), Jaeger O'Meara and Jesse Hogan. (Yes, 3x West Australians who ALL missed the National Champs in their 18th year). Pretty comfortable in saying Jack was more highly regarded that the other 3. He can seriously play. His idea of fun is salmon fishing off Broome - not 3am in a dodgey Gold Coast night club. He would be a great get and if the club pulls it off we will all sit back and thank the lord above they did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Sunday games.

That counts against us
    If we pitch it in the right way, he can have huge say in how we go about addressing that
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There are 4 things I think we can offer a player like Martin

A great salary...that is a bit of a no brainer
    A great culture...have a look at the quality of our leadership group and coaches etc
    The opportunity to play finals...we are now back on track and it's a more than competitive playing list
    The opportunity to help this club set-up an indigenous programme that will last for many years after he finishes playing. A true chance to progress the indigenous culture within the club.

There is a lot more for Martin to consider than just his pay packet. This is a genuine once in a lifetime opportunity to be a leader in so many area's.

And with form he's going to play every week with us. At Carlton (if they get Papley, Betts, Gray etc plus SPS etc) & Essendon (various), there's a bunch of similar types all fighting for limited spots. I'd argue we don't have someone like him. So if he wants the opportunity to play regular senior football, despite our overall talent profile, he will play regular senior football with us. He can rest assured that if he executes his role to the level we know he can he will have a spot in the 22 without fighting with a bunch of other players for the spot. Carlton can offer him a best 22 spot in a range of roles because they're no good, but we can offer him a best 22 spot in an emerging strong side because we don't have someone like him in the role we want. It's hopefully a distinction that makes a difference.

If this does eventuate, I hope the clubs can knock it over early, put it to bed and move onto acquiring KPPs such as Keath, Bruce and ruck depth with Zak Smith for next to nothing but a list spot (with Geelong going after Goldstein).
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Sunday games.

That counts against us
    Only until Jamarra comes along next year. It's a temporary thing. Surely he wants to play with the next and better Buddy Franklin.

I wonder what his relationship is with Bennell from their time together? Maybe a rookie list spot for him if he 'ticks the boxes'.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Sunday games.

That counts against us
    Judging from history our improved form will mean our Sunday games will be reduced.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Judging from history our improved form will mean our Sunday games will be reduced.
    Yep. We won the flag in 2016, we had a ton of night games the following year. So I expect the exact same thing next year too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Tom Browne reporting we are leading the race for Martin
    I just listened to the audio of the interview. He also made mention Martin had a sit down yesterday with Bevo at a CBD establishment.

That's a fairly strong statement to Jack by Bevo and the club to let Bevo sell the trade to him when he's coaching in an elimination final of the weekend. It's also our best salesman to player/s about where we are and where can be with him on the journey. Probably a very different pitch (& feel) from walking around Visy Park listening to SOS.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Carlton have met today with Dan Butler for the small forward position the are auditioning for. That's Butler, Gray, Papley & Betts they're interested in plus Martin. With our offer being higher, and Carlton happy to shop around for people not named Jack Martin, maybe they won't up their offer on Martin. Leaving us some clear room to work with him and his manager.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Carlton have met today with Dan Butler for the small forward position the are auditioning for. That's Butler, Gray, Papley & Betts they're interested in plus Martin. With our offer being higher, and Carlton happy to shop around for people not named Jack Martin, maybe they won't up their offer on Martin. Leaving us some clear room to work with him and his manager.
    I considered Butler until the second half of this season happened. He's been in terrible form of late. Not sure what's going on there.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

things seem to be lining up nicely for us atm

Post Thanks / Like

I just listened to the audio of the interview. He also made mention Martin had a sit down yesterday with Bevo at a CBD establishment.

That's a fairly strong statement to Jack by Bevo and the club to let Bevo sell the trade to him when he's coaching in an elimination final of the weekend. It's also our best salesman to player/s about where we are and where can be with him on the journey. Probably a very different pitch (& feel) from walking around Visy Park listening to SOS.
    I'd like to have Bevo set the cat among the pigeons by having Martin roll out as our runner versus the Hi-Vis Turds this weekend.

Checkmate, Dodo.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

17. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it is as MJP says and he does have an old head I'm confident he'll get where Bevo is coming from and respect our approach. Bevo forms real relationships with his players it remains to be seen what kind of coach Teague is. Bevo himself is a big selling point. Glad he's meeting him one on one.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.