Thanks Thanks:  36
Likes Likes:  113
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Jack Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Martin

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    for much the same reason that you don't (i assume) drink straight from the toilet bowl.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    For much the same reason that you don't (I assume) drink straight from the toilet bowl.
    Because its full of shit just like Geelong you mean?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Martin’s morphed into one of the Krakouer Brothers

Post Thanks / Like

I get why Martin looked elsewhere but if he is picking Carlton over us because of their superior indigenous program then I think he should have looked a bit deeper.
    From my understanding they now have two indigenous players in Liam Jones and Sam Petrevski-Seton

He had an opportunity with us to be a prominent figure in our efforts to set-up an indigenous program.

I guess the only good part of his decision it isn't just a financial one.

Good luck to him but I'm glad he let us know early in the process
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW I have heard from a very good source who I will not name that our club is not favourably viewed by indigenous players.

I wonder if we have skeleton in our cupboard that we fans do not know about?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    FWIW I have heard from a very good source who I will not name that our club is not favourably viewed by indigenous players.

I wonder if we have skeleton in our cupboard that we fans do not know about?
    Sherman's lasting legacy?

In all seriousness, if this is the case then we need to look to bring in a big named indigenous player/ex-player to really ramp up our programme. Shaun Burgoyne? Eddie Betts? Throw some huge coin and a Hail Mary play for Brad Hill?

What is Brett Goodes currently doing? Wasn't this his domain?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    What did Sherman do?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    What did Sherman do?
    Hm.. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/brown-s...630-1gs7k.html

Post Thanks / Like

Sherman shows Toby Greene like remorse

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/fo...877764a14db656

10. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post

In all seriousness, if this is the case then we need to look to bring in a big named indigenous player/ex-player to really ramp up our programme. Shaun Burgoyne? Eddie Betts? Throw some huge coin and a Hail Mary play for Brad Hill?

What is Brett Goodes currently doing? Wasn't this his domain?
    I think we are chasing shadows with regard to this issue. Was it a problem in 2006 when we drafted Brennan Stack, Josh Hill and Malcolm Lynch all in the same draft? Or shortly after, Shane Thorne and Zephi Skinner? Was it an issue when Nathan Djerkurra came to the club? Or Joel Hamling?

If there is a problem with our support programs in assisting indigenous players to better settle in Melbourne then I'm all for addressing it. But if it is purely off the back of Wingard and Martin choosing other clubs over ours in trade week then we are putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I think we are chasing shadows with regard to this issue. Was it a problem in 2006 when we drafted Brennan Stack, Josh Hill and Malcolm Lynch all in the same draft? Or shortly after, Shane Thorne and Zephi Skinner? Was it an issue when Nathan Djerkurra came to the club? Or Joel Hamling?
    We also had Harbrow in the rookie draft that year. None really stuck around.

We've publically shown interest in three indigenous players in the past three years and missed them all, and our President has gone public with wanting to have proper support networks around the club.

We're about to draft at least three indigenous kids in the next two years via our NGA listers so it's not just about attracting mature talent, it's as much about having a strong support network around the kids we're about to bring in.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

13. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

We've publically shown interest in three indigenous players in the past three years and missed them all, and our President has gone public with wanting to have proper support networks around the club.

We're about to draft at least three indigenous kids in the next two years via our NGA listers so it's not just about attracting mature talent, it's as much about having a strong support network around the kids we're about to bring in.
    It could be argued that they did not stick around for other reasons. Money in Harbrow's case, better opportunities for Josh Hill (who was at the club a number of years in any event) and lack of talent/ability with the other players mentioned.

If there is a problem with our support structure we should absolutely be addressing it. Just hope we aren't being tokenistic about it because we currently don't have an indigenous player on the list.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

15. Likes Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Whilst I do agree with this Mofra, and like our messaging of wanting to develop an indigenous pathway, equally I don't like the current media messaging that we're failing in our efforts to attract indigenous talent. The reality is that we do struggle to attract in demand younger bigger name players against the 'high visibility' Clubs, regardless of the colour of their skin. That we've missed on Impey, Wingard and Martin in recent times is largely due to them being pursued by the likes of Hawthorn, and now Carlton with Martin.

The likes of Mitchell, O'Meara, Frawley, Gunstan, Shiel, Devon Smith, Treloar, Adams, Docherty, as a sample, were all elite young non-indigenous talent that sought the limelight and stardom of the traditional bigger Clubs. Just add Martin and Wingard to this list rather than have it messaged that we are now somehow having an issue with attracting elite indigenous talent.

17. Likes Sedat, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If there is a problem with our support programs in assisting indigenous players to better settle in Melbourne then I'm all for addressing it. But if it is purely off the back of Wingard and Martin choosing other clubs over ours in trade week then we are putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5.
    If those players chose us it might have some relevance to the conversation but since we drafted them I don't really think it does. The fact they aren't on the list anymore only compounds the issue that when it comes to indigenous talent we're at a disadvantage recruitment wise. It doesn't work to have competitive disadvantages in a league like the AFL generally but especially when we're already a small club with no blockbuster games on the G or specific regional attractions.

19. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is this is direct feedback from previously missed targets (Wingard certainly). It's probably not the reason but when part of the decision making soup it's one of them.
    The club are working hard to address this, as well as other areas as far as I'm aware to make us more attractive on all fronts. I guess over the past few seasons our targets have been indigenous guys so that's put a spotlight on that particular part of our club.
    I read with interest Shaun Burgoyne to Suns is on the cards, gee, he would be the man I would chase.

21. Likes divvydan liked this post