Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  19
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rookie List Strategy 2018

What do we want out of the final spot.

Injury insurance?
    A flyer on a young player with an elite trait?

I'm leaning more towards a young player as think we've addressed mature depth options via the trade period and draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    What do we want out of the final spot.

Injury insurance?
    A flyer on a young player with an elite trait?

I'm leaning more towards a young player as think we've addressed mature depth options via the trade period and draft.
    I tend to agree. Someone who was overlooked last year, but shown a bit more. Or a late bloomer, former delistee whose starting to hit some form. Not a pure retread to add to the age profile.

I'd like another flexible KPF who can pinch hit ruck. I don't mind midfield depth like Jye Caldwell. I'd also like to know if Lachy Dawson might make his way on a Cat B to add another name on the midfielder column, that might move the need to the KPF/2nd ruck type. I think we can be a little position specific with this the last spot on the Cat A list.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

We didn't nominate Dawson or Chatfield, so i think that means we can't add them as a Cat B rookie.

Maybe someone like Hayden McLean might be someone we could add as a kpf

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Could McLean be worth a crack? 197cm forward who can pinch hit in the ruck and apparently a good shot on goal. I know a few here have been worried about the amount of height we have had go out of the team.

I would be keen on Mitch Grigg too (if he is a solid citizen). At absolute worst he is a great pickup for Footscray (both in playing ability and experience) and some added midfield depth for the 1's.
    I thought McLean was a bit stiff not to make a rookie list in his last season in the TAC because he had a good season.
    Decent mark and can ruck a bit as well. The Saints might be interested.

Jono Marsh anyone? Sydney Stack would be an awesome addition but he is probably on his way to Tigerland
    James Blanck might be worth considering. Athletically he tested well but doesn't have a great tank. He scored an invite to the combine but wasn't selected. Riley Bowmann can play forward and in the ruck.
    Daly Andrews from the Jets has plenty of run and carry and good skills. He can play in the midfield back line or up forward. He forced his way onto the Metro side but suffered an unfortunate concussion after getting falconed.

Grigg or Bolton would add midfield depth if we copped a few injuries.

It will be interesting to see if we go for youth or if we top up with a player with some AFL experience.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I thought McLean was a bit stiff not to make a rookie list in his last season in the TAC because he had a good season.
    Decent mark and can ruck a bit as well. The Saints might be interested.

Jono Marsh anyone? Sydney Stack would be an awesome addition but he is probably on his way to Tigerland
    James Blanck might be worth considering. Athletically he tested well but doesn't have a great tank. He scored an invite to the combine but wasn't selected. Riley Bowmann can play forward and in the ruck.
    Daly Andrews from the Jets has plenty of run and carry and good skills. He can play in the midfield back line or up forward. He forced his way onto the Metro side but suffered an unfortunate concussion after getting falconed.

Grigg or Bolton would add midfield depth if we copped a few injuries.

It will be interesting to see if we go for youth or if we top up with a player with some AFL experience.
    From the article last page, there's only three spots left across all lists:

That leaves the Giants, Demons and Bulldogs with one vacancy apiece.

Among the players in the mix could be multiple state league medallists Mick Gibbons, Mitch Grigg and Jye Bolton, Casey Demon Jay Lockhart, key-position prospect Hayden McLean, who trained at St Kilda, and late-blooming South Fremantle onballer Marlion Pickett.

Any preferences from them G?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

We do have Hayes as mature midfield depth. Would another not be overkill?

Post Thanks / Like

No more depth mids. I want either a super pacy clever small forward like a Betts type or an athletic tall who played u18s 1 or 2 years ago and has shown something against men already.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    We do have Hayes as mature midfield depth. Would another not be overkill?
    Is he really a centre square type of player? I see him more as a winger or half forward

Given the troubles we had last year and the fact that it's Liberatore in (with a couple of others that are more forwards) and Dahlhaus out I'm not sure we have addressed it completely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    From the article last page, there's only three spots left across all lists:

That leaves the Giants, Demons and Bulldogs with one vacancy apiece.

Among the players in the mix could be multiple state league medallists Mick Gibbons, Mitch Grigg and Jye Bolton, Casey Demon Jay Lockhart, key-position prospect Hayden McLean, who trained at St Kilda, and late-blooming South Fremantle onballer Marlion Pickett.

Any preferences from them G?
    Probably McLean or maybe Grigg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Probably McLean or maybe Grigg.
    Given your time this year is limited on McLean. In his top year in the TAC did you see him making the grade eventually as a ruck, a KPF or hybrid KPF that rucks a little?

Post Thanks / Like

Given your time this year is limited on McLean. In his top year in the TAC did you see him making the grade eventually as a ruck, a KPF or hybrid KPF that rucks a little?
    Forward who could ruck. He might have even played in the back line for Vic Metro in one game

Thought he would be picked up by someone.

13. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will be very interesting to see what we add with that final list spot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Will be very interesting to see what we add with that final list spot
    I find it kind of interesting that we in the last three clubs with a pick. Did we miss out on someone we had targeted? Are we trying to convince or haggle over a certain player? Are we still assessing the list, slowly somewhat? Is it all around positions and who we might need or want in the mid season rookie draft? Is Power trying to exploit another draft rule for benefit and wants everyone out before the ruling?

Post Thanks / Like

I find it kind of interesting that we in the last three clubs with a pick. Did we miss out on someone we had targeted? Are we trying to convince or haggle over a certain player? Are we still assessing the list, slowly somewhat? Is it all around positions and who we might need or want in the mid season rookie draft? Is Power trying to exploit another draft rule for benefit and wants everyone out before the ruling?
    We may be waiting a while to get any kind of answer. Amazingly the SSP period goes from December 1st to March 15th!

So theoretically, we could pick someone on the 15th and play them 8 days later. I find this whole SSP thing a bit bananas.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good opportunity to get those ones we are interested in down to the club for the preseason to have a really close look at before making any rushed decision. That is if it is allowed by the AEFL. We can see who is a good trainer and who fits the no dickhead policy, etc.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.