Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  29
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 20, Vs Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Would Fletcher Roberts be in a stronger position to replace Morris than Lewis Young?
    Fletch played last time against Brissie and we really couldn't contain their talls. Hipwood should have kicked at least 5 - ended up with 2.5. Trengove rucked, so I guess he plays Hipwood.

I feel we are still one tall player down, but I bet Bevo goes in with Trengove and Cordy.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Fletch played last time against Brissie and we really couldn't contain their talls. Hipwood should have kicked at least 5 - ended up with 2.5. Trengove rucked, so I guess he plays Hipwood.

I feel we are still one tall player down, but I bet Bevo goes in with Trengove and Cordy.
    Not sure Trengove is a great match up for Hipwood. He is a tricky match up with his pace and height, Trengove probably better suited to McStay. Hipwood’s opponent will depend on who comes in for Morris- but I think Cordy will end up there and we’ll back him to do better.
    Who knows which Hipwood turns up. He missed one game, but otherwise hasn’t had a kick in a month.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Can we talk more about the ruck. I’m not sure we have gotten everyone’s view on the ruck.
    Rucking hell

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure Trengove is a great match up for Hipwood. He is a tricky match up with his pace and height, Trengove probably better suited to McStay. Hipwood’s opponent will depend on who comes in for Morris- but I think Cordy will end up there and we’ll back him to do better.
    Who knows which Hipwood turns up. He missed one game, but otherwise hasn’t had a kick in a month.
    Trengove really matched it well with Martin last time and I can see some sense in going down that road again with English more up forward
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Trengove really matched it well with Martin last time and I can see some sense in going down that road again with English more up forward
    Martin is a nightmare matchup for English at this stage of his development, but as you said Trengove can more than match it with him given his (Martin's) increased reliance on wrestling in ruck contests.

There isn't really a proper match up for Trengove down back anyway so I'm all for it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

With regards to Rich, I would like to see Dickson take the job. Has played as a negating forward at times in the past and is dangerous enough that Rich won't be able to drop off him when we're going forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Would Fletcher Roberts be in a stronger position to replace Morris than Lewis Young?
    Yes.

Roberts plays and plays back (Hipwood).
    Trengove plays on McInerney.
    English plays in the ruck.
    Cordy plays forward (so do Naughton and Schache).

The deck of cards looks kind of like this:

- Trengove into the ruck vs Martin if the difference in styles between English and Martin is going Martin's way (too much).
    - Cordy available to help down back as/when required.
    - Libba plays on Rich (see below for Libba part 2).
    - Duryea takes Cameron.

From there, I think we need a plan for McCluggage...I would go JJ but I think the MC would be more likely to go with Lipinski. Dunkley works with Libba to look after Neale.

If the English in the ruck thing is working, Naughton and Schache provide support as required.

(Morris out for Roberts, Richards out for Schache...sorry but I can't find a spot for Toby based on the form shown over the past couple of weeks...Dale, Lloyd, Smith, West etc should all hold their spots. In pure 'win now' terms though, he should probably come in for West).
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

9. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Who plays on McStay in the above scenario mjp?

Post Thanks / Like

Walters had zero impact when the game was up for grabs and has been amazing for them this season.
    Walters went kick chasing and got the easy handball down back. this is where stats are no good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Because you are inferring he should not be in the ruck (your pet topic )and the incident wouldn't have happened. You don't know that, the same thing could have happened in the forward line. That is footy.
    Agree. You will find the forwards play down back anyway. there are usually 36 players down one end of the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see Richards going out. In the members email Bevo mentioned him and Libba having roles on B. Hill and Walters...when on the ball...respectively. Said both played well.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked Cordy on the forward line Sunday. He didn't get a lot of it but the pressure he put on was manic and the contests he got to crash the pack and spoil the ball to the ground was like the Cordy of 2016.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    I liked Cordy on the forward line Sunday. He didn't get a lot of it but the pressure he put on was manic and the contests he got to crash the pack and spoil the ball to the ground was like the Cordy of 2016.
    Agree - he brings the ball to ground when seemingly out of the contest fairly well (see R West goal) and doesn't resort to holding that he can be prone to down the other end.

Re: Roberts in for Morris - would rather Lewis Young's athletic attributes matched up with Hipwood.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Yes.

Roberts plays and plays back (Hipwood).
    Trengove plays on McInerney.
    English plays in the ruck.
    Cordy plays forward (so do Naughton and Schache).

The deck of cards looks kind of like this:

- Trengove into the ruck vs Martin if the difference in styles between English and Martin is going Martin's way (too much).
    - Cordy available to help down back as/when required.
    - Libba plays on Rich (see below for Libba part 2).
    - Duryea takes Cameron.

From there, I think we need a plan for McCluggage...I would go JJ but I think the MC would be more likely to go with Lipinski. Dunkley works with Libba to look after Neale.

If the English in the ruck thing is working, Naughton and Schache provide support as required.

(Morris out for Roberts, Richards out for Schache...sorry but I can't find a spot for Toby based on the form shown over the past couple of weeks...Dale, Lloyd, Smith, West etc should all hold their spots. In pure 'win now' terms though, he should probably come in for West).
    Truly the stuff of nightmares, but speaks to our dearth of options for Hipwood types.

He's 200+cms but can crumb like a rover so without organised support Fletch is chasing lots and lots of tail once the pill hits the deck.

Lewy Young seems tailor-made on paper, but a recall before throwing him at Hipwood does him few favours. Then again if we're going to do the same to Roberts ...

The plans looks an effective one otherwise. Love to be able to keep Zaine forward if we can swing it. He makes stuff happen.

They're very fond of chaos ball going forward - and with Cameron, Christensen, Hipwood & Rayner lurking why wouldn't you be - so our small-medium defenders must be ferocious at ground level. Hopefully our mids are getting things on their terms to help curb supply.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Truly the stuff of nightmares, but speaks to our dearth of options for Hipwood types.

He's 200+cms but can crumb like a rover so without organised support Fletch is chasing lots and lots of tail once the pill hits the deck.

Lewy Young seems tailor-made on paper, but a recall before throwing him at Hipwood does him few favours. Then again if we're going to do the same to Roberts ...

The plans looks an effective one otherwise. Love to be able to keep Zaine forward if we can swing it. He makes stuff happen.

They're very fond of chaos ball going forward - and with Cameron, Christensen, Hipwood & Rayner lurking why wouldn't you be - so our small-medium defenders must be ferocious at ground level. Hopefully our mids are getting things on their terms to help curb supply.
    Who DOES have an array of options for 'Hipwood types'? He's 200cm's and as quick on the sprint as nearly anyone in the league - they don't make many like that! But as I said earlier - he has barely had a kick in a month, and he has the odd game where he can have 5 shots on goal in a quarter or a half. If he is 'on' and getting supply - then good luck to anyone, but the team's job is to defend well across the whole ground and limit clean opportunities.

I'm more worried about containing Charlie Cameron - who is consistently dangerous, and not someone we have a natural match up for.