Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Just 34 games enough for Dog's leadership role

Link

YOU could call him the accidental leader, but a newfound responsibility sits comfortably with Jack Redpath.

Despite just playing 34 games in five seasons at Whitten Oval, Redpath is a highly respected figure, and the admiration from his peers has seen the 26-year-old unanimously voted into the Bulldogs' leadership group for the first time.

A self-confessed country boy, the former carpenter believes his honest approach and an ability to relate to all walks of life have been central to his elevated standing at the Dogs.

"I had a chat with the club at the end of last year on whether I'd be willing to do it if the boys threw up my name, and my name kept coming up, which was good," Redpath told AFL.com.au.

"I don't think I've ever tried to be part of the leadership group, I've just had good relationships within the group, I like to think I work hard and look after myself.

"I think it came from working at a younger age and coming into the club at 21, because I had a bit of life experience.
    "When the boys threw my name up, I jumped at the opportunity."

Upon announcing the news to the whole playing group, a proud Luke Beveridge revealed it was a "great realisation" for he and the other coaches that the hugely popular key forward was also so highly valued by his teammates.

"He regulates the professionalism and spirit side of things as much as anyone, and he's really honest when he speaks," Beveridge said.

"That's what we are urging (the whole group) to do – walk the walk."
    Redpath fully understands joining a leadership group headed by new skipper Easton Wood "doesn't guarantee" him a game each week, and knows he'll have to contend with Tom Boyd and recruit Josh Schache for a spot in attack.

But after years of failing to convince the Bulldogs he was a long-term AFL player, the hulking goalkicker received a strong show of faith recently when he signed his first multi-year contract.

"It was always good to get some security after signing six or seven one-year deals, so getting the (two-year) contract sorted, and then to be put in the leadership group was great.

"Now, it's just about getting through the pre-season, working hard and rolling into next year and enjoying it like I did last year.
    "The goal is to be in the best 22 every week, but our tall stocks are looking good, and that can only be a positive for the club.

"It makes you work that little bit harder if someone is just behind you or just in front of you."
    It's been a bittersweet past few months for the Kyneton product, with his cherished but battered Ford Falcon AU finally giving up the ghost after years of being a constant in his rise to high regard.

A new Mazda his reward.

"I'm spewing because it broke down twice in the one week, so I ended up giving it to a bloke," Redpath said.
    "I bought it for $600 and I did 20,000kms in it, so it wasn't too bad."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just 34 games enough for Dog's leadership role

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It's been a bittersweet past few months for the Kyneton product, with his cherished but battered Ford Falcon AU finally giving up the ghost after years of being a constant in his rise to high regard.

A new Mazda his reward.

"I'm spewing because it broke down twice in the one week, so I ended up giving it to a bloke," Redpath said.
    Love that he has been driving around in an old beaten up AU Falcon. Surely Mercedes could have hooked him up with a new ute?

4. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

A new Mazda his reward.

I'm not quite sure what he's spewing about. That his car broke down? That he gave it to a bloke? That it broke down twice in a week? Surely not that he paid 600 and did 20 000 Ks in it.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I guess he loved his old Ford and is spewing at not having it any more!!

7. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Moustache needs to go. You need to kick a ton of goals or be very good to sport something like that.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Moustache needs to go. You need to kick a ton of goals or be very good to sport something like that.
    Strongly concur.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Love that he has been driving around in an old beaten up AU Falcon.
    Should have got an older XF. Great Falcons. Mine was a beauty.

However, my '67 Fairmont was a real legend. It was known as "The White Shark" for those who like "Fear and loathing in Las Vegas".
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Should have got an older XF. Great Falcons. Mine was a beauty.

However, my '67 Fairmont was a real legend. It was known as "The White Shark" for those who like "Fear and loathing in Las Vegas".
    My mate used to have an XF Fairmont Ghia. The electrics were horrendous - the speedo didn't work, the windows played up, etc. Other than that it was a nice car.