Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  27
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs eradicate debt with third straight significant profit

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    An outstanding effort by everyone at the club. 3 years ago I thought we were 10 years away from being debt free.

We have many challenges coming up and we can't take the foot off the accelerator. Our position is still very reliant on membership and the commitment of our supporters so we all have a role to play to .

How great will it be if we can back it up in 12 months with another $1M+ profit announcement?

The days of being known as the struggling club from the West will long behind us
    I'm assuming we didn't have Mercedes advance us, nor Bob Jane. So with a bit of luck that cash will give us a big head start towards that profit range you mention. I fear a membership drop off of (worst case) 10% next year. But if we come out guns blazing in the first month, we should grow the membership yet again.

It's just wonderful to know a line in books of $1,000,000 or more was not a benefactor bailing us out. It's great to have those club heroes do those things for us, but it's better to have our masses doing it with competent financial management. Those 2016 players have a huge legacy beyond a flag, they've set in motion a bulldozing of the debt and built the future profits with 4 amazing weeks.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Let’s hope PG can keep turning the screws on city hall to finally get that stadium deal upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like

I want us to be in a position where we don't need to rely upon the AFL and any equalisation funding.

We may well have seen the high point of TV rights and net deals. I don't know that an 18 team AFL comp is sustainable.

In time, when they speak of the Big 4 Vic teams, I want the Dogs to be one of them.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

4. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I want us to be in a position where we don't need to rely upon the AFL and any equalisation funding.

We may well have seen the high point of TV rights and net deals. I don't know that an 18 team AFL comp is sustainable.

In time, when they speak of the Big 4 Vic teams, I want the Dogs to be one of them.
    Fix up the stadium deal and I suspect we'll basically be there already

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Fix up the stadium deal and I suspect we'll basically be there already
    Equalization funds = fixing the stadium deal and other abnomalies.
    The AFL has more control keeping it as an equalization fund.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

That's assuming the AFL hand out the goodies they have under their control on an equal basis. They don't so we can't see the equalisation fund as something we get as an extra or an add on to the deal we already have. I see your (and agree with) your point about the current conditions continuing on (they won't). But I don't agree that we are the first to get it in the neck when things change. It's simple , if we go down we take the other bastards with us. I see it as a fairly simple equation, either we get to play or no one gets to play. And I'm happy to bring the whole edifice and superstructure down. I'd do it without thinking about it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully this means we are also going to sign a better deal soon. This should be one of the first items Ameet Bains crosses off his to-do list.

Saints close to resolving Etihad 'hamstring'

ST KILDA is "very close" to finalising a deal with the AFL to see improved financial returns from games it hosts at Etihad Stadium, with a result almost certain to come before the start of next season.

The AFL purchased the Docklands-based venue last October in a huge win for most of the tenant clubs, which have received relatively low revenue compared to what they make when hosting games at the MCG.

Saints CEO Matt Finnis told reporters at Seaford on Friday a resolution was not far away.

"We've been working all year with the AFL and the other tenant clubs on improving the economics of Etihad Stadium. We're getting very close to nailing that down," Finnis said.

"We think we're on the cusp of getting a deal at Etihad Stadium which will now underpin our financial sustainability in the future."

Finnis said the increased funds would allow for more investment in the club's football department, with a new deal to be done before round one in March next year.

"We'd be incredibly disappointed if we hadn't resolved that before the first ball is bounced," Finnis said.

9. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Hopefully this means we are also going to sign a better deal soon. This should be one of the first items Ameet Bains crosses off his to-do list.

Saints close to resolving Etihad 'hamstring'

ST KILDA is "very close" to finalising a deal with the AFL to see improved financial returns from games it hosts at Etihad Stadium, with a result almost certain to come before the start of next season.

The AFL purchased the Docklands-based venue last October in a huge win for most of the tenant clubs, which have received relatively low revenue compared to what they make when hosting games at the MCG.

Saints CEO Matt Finnis told reporters at Seaford on Friday a resolution was not far away.

"We've been working all year with the AFL and the other tenant clubs on improving the economics of Etihad Stadium. We're getting very close to nailing that down," Finnis said.

"We think we're on the cusp of getting a deal at Etihad Stadium which will now underpin our financial sustainability in the future."

Finnis said the increased funds would allow for more investment in the club's football department, with a new deal to be done before round one in March next year.

"We'd be incredibly disappointed if we hadn't resolved that before the first ball is bounced," Finnis said.
    Just make me question what the butterfly effect will be. The AFL won't easily give up profits to assist smaller clubs. Other things will be taken away.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Just make me question what the butterfly effect will be. The AFL won't easily give up profits to assist smaller clubs. Other things will be taken away.
    The AFL is all of the clubs. The profit from Etihad earned by the shabby deals for the clubs in question now belongs to all the clubs.
    AFL only play at equalization.

Answer will be in smaller distributions, as they really can't cope with smaller clubs becoming bigger and meriting a fairer fixture.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The AFL is all of the clubs. The profit from Etihad earned by the shabby deals for the clubs in question now belongs to all the clubs.

Answer will be in smaller distributions, as they really can't cope with smaller clubs becoming bigger and meriting a fairer fixture.
    It's a parochial form of equalisation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

Our financial destiny is in our own hands. We need to continue to win on field and increase our fan base, sponsorship etc, and crow bar our way in to the upper echelon. But with the moat the AFL has put around the elite fixtures (except Good Friday!), we're up against it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Our financial destiny is in our own hands. We need to continue to win on field and increase our fan base, sponsorship etc, and crow bar our way in to the upper echelon. But with the moat the AFL has put around the elite fixtures (except Good Friday!), we're up against it.
    Up against it is right if the AFL reaction (let's work out everything the Bulldogs do well and outlaw it) to us winning their premiership keeps up. If we dare to win another watch out for the new 'Bulldog players have to kick the ball backwards over their heads when they have a shot for goal' rule to come in.

Post Thanks / Like

Financial report is now available:

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%2...cialReport.pdf

No loans or borrowings and payables lower but still quite high at $6.9m.

16. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    Financial report is now available:

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%2...cialReport.pdf

No loans or borrowings and payables lower but still quite high at $6.9m.
    Current Assets lower than current liabilities.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Current Assets lower than current liabilities.
    Indeed, though $1.95m of that is income in advance (i.e. 2018 memberships). This was down 470k on last year which on its own is not a great sign though the membership tally is overall up currently.

Not having to find over 800k each year for gaming machine entitlements is really going to help you would think.