Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  107
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rising Star - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Don't really care for the award. We got Caleb, that's reward enough. Kid is a super player and will be for a very long time
    This. We won the Caleb Daniel at pick 46 award.

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Also congratulations to Jacob Hopper for winning the 2017 nab Rising Star award

It'll be nail biting waiting to see which week the media are given the word to start pumping him up as the winner.
    We ought to have a sweep. The winner can tell us who wins the 2018 NAB Rising star.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It is the way the AFEL stage manage the whole process. Daniel was exceptional this year ranked number one for Kicks and disposals, as well as number one for disposal efficiency. His influence on games was unbelievable. Mills picked up all the cheapies defending.

It is no coincidence that Swans and Brisbane have something like 8 winners between them in 22 years of the rising star award. - Total Joke.
    He really stood up when we were under injury distress. He played some of his best games when we were short handed.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

If runner-up you end up with a Bontempelli rather than the first place Lewis Taylor (who), I'll take the runner-up thanks.

Mills is a deserving winner but so would Caleb have been.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    If runner-up you end up with a Bontempelli rather than the first place Lewis Taylor (who), I'll take the runner-up thanks.

Mills is a deserving winner but so would Caleb have been.
    Who would you have Mills or Darcy Moore?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Great effort from Caleb coming a close second, what a great pick from Dalrymple.

Not sure about the conspiracy theory, Mills is a pretty good player and worthy winner.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

If I was picking it'd be Weitering or Moore over Mills, not that they've been better this season but quality talls are like hens teeth.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Caleb Daniel. He joins an illustrious list of Bulldogs AFL Rookie of the Year runners up:

Chris Grant (1990 to Anthony Bannick)
    Marcus Bontempelli (2014 to Lewis Taylor)

Note: both Bont and Granty run rings around their respective winners. Here's to Caleb doing the same to Mills in the ensuing years!

7. Likes craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Moore by a fair margin.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Jeez... the parochial paranoia and conspiracy theories are a bit rich.
    Yep Daniel had a very good year.. as evidenced by his second placing behind a deserving winner.
    Yeah, you're probably right. The Mills kid can play a bit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Well done Caleb Daniel. He joins an illustrious list of Bulldogs AFL Rookie of the Year runners up:

Chris Grant (1990 to Anthony Bannick)
    Marcus Bontempelli (2014 to Lewis Taylor)

Note: both Bont and Granty run rings around their respective winners. Here's to Caleb doing the same to Mills in the ensuing years!
    Griffen to Deledio as well in 2005 - give me Griffen's first 10 years over the seagull at Punt Rd

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Caleb on such a stellar year.
    All the enjoyment and excitement that you have given us as supporters throughout the year has been unparrellel in your commitment,class,skill and spunk.
    In my eyes and a hell of a lot of others and not just doggies supporters you aren't a Rising Star-
    You are already a fully fledged Star of AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Darcy Moore ahead of all the nominees without doubt.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

There's no conspiracy, the AFL is genuinely biased towards the northern states (particularly NSW) and will do whatever they can to promote the teams within in them at the expense of Victorian based clubs. It's just some Victorian clubs wear the burden more heavily than others.

If it was a conspiracy the AFL would be secretive about it. But they aren't.

Mills is a worthy winner. He will be a good player. Caleb would have been a worthy winner, and will be a good player. The disappointing thing is the latter never really stood a chance once Mills started earning some press and was eventually nominated as there wasn't a balanced discussion within the media which is also biased towards NSW, in line with what the AFL demands of it.

Is it more alarming that one out of ten judges was silly enough to pick Daniel, or that in such a statistically tight race only one in ten judges considered an even spread of candidates? The plunge on Mills was telling as well. If the award was merit based and transparent then the disparity in winning odds would have been much smaller.

Once you have AFL head office types betting on the award alongside hand picked head office sympathisers it's a fait accompli that an outcome favourable to the objectives of head office will be realised. This type of thinking is not paranoid, nor is it unreasonable especially considering other areas of the competition are geared in a similar fashion. It's almost unreasonable to think the Rising Star award would be a transparent and merit based outcome, because virtually nothing in the AFL is actually transparent or merit based.
    Last edited by jeemak; 07-09-2016 at 01:46 AM.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Thanks bulldogtragic, Drunken Bum thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat, Greystache, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Darcy Moore ahead of all the nominees without doubt.
    I reckon if all the nominees were back on the market in a draft the first 4 taken would be (in order) Wright, Petracca, Moore, Weitering then the mids.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I reckon if all the nominees were back on the market in a draft the first 4 taken would be (in order) Wright, Petracca, Moore, Weitering then the mids.
    Disagree. Petracca has shown glimpses and I think he will struggle longer term. has a bit of the Vespremi's about him - unable to consistently dominate - Moore for mine would be number 1; then Wright at 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Petracca is getting over a pretty big knee. It knocked him out virtually from the first training session of the year until early this year. That's a lot of ground to pick up for such a young draftee.