Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  72
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the fix?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Did you say pressure acts?
    Pretty much non existent with Bont, Macrae, Libba, Smith and Treloar.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

2. Likes Grantysghost, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    McCartney's insistence that every player had to be able to win his own ball, still there in 2015-2016, has since disappeared as a qualification for selection. Naughton aside, there was no urgency by any of the forwards. There's not much point having 4 talls if only one them performs.
    When I read this, the moments in the 2016 with hard tackling by Moz and McClean game to mind. Especially the one where Moz tackled Frankin. Every player tried to even the contest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I didn’t.
    I didn’t pick us to make the 8.
    Obviously I'd love it if we proved you wrong and no doubt you would be happy about it as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Obviously I'd love it if we proved you wrong and no doubt you would be happy about it as well.
    I just couldn’t see it. Carlton gifted us top 8 last year and I didn’t think Jones and Lobb would be the difference from that to top 4. Losing Dunkley as well. Keath was stuffed and a year older. Round 1 just showcased that nothing has changed with skill level, execution and gameplan. Add that with a fairly hard schedule in the first 6 weeks, around the mark of 9th-11th would be on the mark regarding game style and player list. ofcourse I hope we make top 4, but after last night, nothing has changed from the last few years, especially defensively, which is our biggest flaw.
    Last edited by DOG GOD; 19-03-2023 at 05:16 PM.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

6. Likes GVGjr, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We need a tagger. A guy who has limitations - perhaps many limitations - but throws himself at every contest as an instinct, not an instruction.
    I know he has flaws but is it time to get West up to speed as a tagger rather than a forward?
    We nail easy set shots and we're actually level at 3/4 time - stop a few of their 'clean' clearances, same deal. Libba has done it sometimes but we need him hunting the ball. Bont isn't quick, and Macrae is an accumulator not a stopper.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

8. Likes DOG GOD, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We need a tagger. A guy who has limitations - perhaps many limitations - but throws himself at every contest as an instinct, not an instruction.
    I know he has flaws but is it time to get West up to speed as a tagger rather than a forward?
    We nail easy set shots and we're actually level at 3/4 time - stop a few of their 'clean' clearances, same deal. Libba has done it sometimes but we need him hunting the ball. Bont isn't quick, and Macrae is an accumulator not a stopper.
    A couple of years back I mentioned that Hewett should have been our target and could be a tagger for us given that ethic of attack and defense could have been invaluable for us. Someone like Ports Drew could be a decent option as well.
    Unless we are prepared to utilise someone in that role then it's probably pointless chasing a tagger.

10. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think it’s all doom and gloom. Panic would be the worst thing we could do. A couple of points:

- IMO we should have been a mile up during that second quarter. We were all over Melbourne but we did not capitalise. Although Jones wasn’t brilliant, we conceded 5 on the trot in that second quarter when he went down. So structurally he was a major loss mid game.
    - Skill errors were the biggest issue. 2 goals from Daniel miss-kicks and 1 goal from a jj dropped chest mark. Doubt this happens again.
    - The mix is going to take time to play around the big fellas. Pace will be key. There are going to be opportunities for A.Jones and Bendendo.

I don’t feel like the gap between the sides was as big as the scoreboard. We had opportunities, but execution was poor.

The lack of grit was disappointing when things didn’t go our way.

Post Thanks / Like

I think after last night that the list is still dreadfully unbalanced. There are too many talls now and they are not reliable because they are also too green. Instead of an overly stacked midfield, we’ve now got no new blood coming through there because it’s all in the forward line. When Darcy and Marra come good there will be nobody left to supply them. And while the flexibility mantra used to be a path to depth, with players still occupying a regular slot unless they needed to be elsewhere, it’s now a limitation.

I think we need to play players in positions and build the system around them. Look at how Lewis young has flourished by comparison now he’s in one position. Who do we play in one spot? I’ve seen almost everyone on multiple parts of the ground over the last few years. I think it’s hurting us, and giving us a sense that it’s ok to constantly experiment. When we do it during the season, it’s like we don’t respect the stakes of the premiership season. I think it stops us settling a system and it’s poison to accountability because players play to their individual strengths regardless of where they are and what is required of them. Nobody actually seems to know what to do most of the time.

I think we need to acknowledge we’re not going to win the flag this year because the list is unbalanced, and start getting games into under-utilised players. West, khamis, Bedendo. Get arty jones into the game. Find out just how unbalanced we actually are, and start recruiting appropriately.

I think if we want to win now, the former - killing the flexibility obsession - is more important than the latter. We might make good this year if we have a better system. Conversely, if we refuse to make a radical coaching intervention, we need to do the latter - blood the kids.

I completely agree that the team’s attitude has got worse and worse and worse every year, with the exception of 2021. There’s none of the tenacity of 2015 or 2016 anymore. What happened in 2021? Why were we so good? Can we do that again? If not, why not?

Post Thanks / Like

At the moment we are on target to get picks 3 & 4 in the super draft this year. That'll help!
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

14. Thanks Bulldog Revolution thanked for this post
    Likes DOG GOD, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Don't know what his fitness is like but McNeil comes to mind. Has wheels, can tackle & certainly has limitations.

16. Likes lemmon, Mofra, Curly5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Scoring more goals than the opposition in the allocated time for play should help.

Moving on a coach who has spent all their credits from the ‘16 flag, severely underperforming year on year in his failure to secure a top 4 result and to have the players mentally prepared for big moments (bullied in GWS finals, catastrophic collapse in a GF, rolled over in an Elimination final), that’d be one part of my efforts to fix things. (Last one of these rants until next week, I promise)

18. Likes GVGjr, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Scoring more goals than the opposition in the allocated time for play should help.

Moving on a coach who has spent all their credits from the ‘16 flag, severely underperforming year on year in his failure to secure a top 4 result and to have the players mentally prepared for big moments (bullied in GWS finals, catastrophic collapse in a GF, rolled over in an Elimination final), that’d be one part of my efforts to fix things. (Last one of these rants until next week, I promise)
    You mean that bloke who has lead us to 6 finals in 8 seasons, including two Grandfinals and a winning percentage of 57.32%
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes MrMahatma, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post

My biggest concern with Bevo is how we handled the distractions of the 2017 season because we really didn't address questionable behaviours and I think it took a long while to overcome them.
    Losing the momentum we had from 2015 and 2016 really impacted the club.

Post Thanks / Like

I think mentality is a big one. I felt last night the dees knew they were better than us in the middle, which they should but it looks like we also believe they are better than us in there. Thats why they own us in there, we have no belief.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    My biggest concern with Bevo is how we handled the distractions of the 2017 season because we really didn't address questionable behaviours and I think it took a long while to overcome them.
    Losing the momentum we had from 2015 and 2016 really impacted the club.
    How do you account for 2021?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.