Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  20
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who is not in the Hall of Fame that should be?

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You have probably seen this:
    Yeah of course but I'm not sure it's the greatest showcase of his talents. A few marks on the lead, multiple free kicks received and a dubious mark paid!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Yeah of course but I'm not sure it's the greatest showcase of his talents. A few marks on the lead, multiple free kicks received and a dubious mark paid!
    I know, but 15.9 tells you something.

Plus he kicked over 100 goals in a season at a young age.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Templeton franked my becoming a rusted on Dog's supporter. I had a family lineage through my Mum; her growing up in Brooklyn and going to the 1954 GF that meant my early life was filled with Footscray stories.
    But as a 5,6 and 7 yr old, it was KT's exploits that provided me with a hero to follow.
    My first actual game of footy was in 84 at Waverley watching Melbourne kill us by 78 points with my idol KT hobbling around for them. I had very mixed emotions about that game; was excited about seeing us play for the first time, but felt sick at the result and seeing KT on the 'other' team...not to mention Brian Wilson.

KT was a genuine star and has to be in the Hall of Fame for it to be a meaningful award.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I never saw Templeton play so can only really go by what was been written and clearly he was a champion until he did his knee.

Not disagreeing with the Hall of Fame thing at all. Just seeking to clarify if he did an ACL because all I can find is that he did a serious knee injury in the pre season comp in 1981. He played in round 17 that year so if it was an ACL it was a very quick comeback.
    Fair enough, I tend to get a bit gung-ho when it comes to KT. The Colemans and the Brownlow (that he won playing in some shocking teams) alone should be enough for entry to the HOF at least. Then when you take a deep dive into his figures they only improve his case.

Take 1978 for instance. He kicks 118.65 out of a team total of 333.227 in 21 games at the age of 21. in 1979 it's 91.62 out of 289.248. 1980 in addition to playing centre half forward and winning the Brownlow he still kicks 75.33 out of a team total of 301.214. In 78/79 when he played exclusively at full forward he scored a total of 34.09 % of all our goals and averaged nealy 5 goals a game. Then in year 3 he plays in a different position and wins the Brownlow. He also kicked 82.39 out of 299.242 (27.42%) in 1976 as a 19 yo!

Could you imagine what we would be saying if we had a 19 yo kid who kicked 75 goals in 2015, had his next year ruined by injury (obviously then we'd be saying that's typical) but bounced back with 118 goals in 2017 as a 21 yo, followed up with 91 and another Coleman in 2018 and then won a Brownlow as well as kicking 75 goals from CHF this year? We'd be saying "Wayne Carey who?" We certainly shouldn't be laid back and comfortable with David Neitz getting picked in any teams KT qualifies for ahead of him. To me it says that if we are overlooking him for teams like that then Kelvin is a long way back in discussions for a spot in the HOF and frankly the fact that KT isn't in the HOF is a scandal.

So 82 goals in 1976 at the age of 19. 1977 was a year ruined by injury and illness so we can ignore that, although his 40 goals in 9 games (4.44) won the club goalkicking. 118 goals in 1978 wins the Coleman. 91 goals in 19 games in 1979 wins another Coleman and then in his last season at full fitness he kicks 75 goals from CHF and wins the Brownlow.

As a comparison John Coleman's 2 best years were his first 2 1949 and 1950. Even though they were his first 2 years he was still a year older than KT who was 17 on his debut in 1974. For his best years for goalkicking Coleman was 20/21 and in Templeton's best years for goalkicking he was 19/20 and both had birthdays after the season ended. Anyway in 49/50 Coleman kicks 220 goals in 40 games at an average at 5.5 while in 78/79 KT kicks 209 goals in 43 games (4.86) but Coleman played in a premiership team and a runners up while Kelvin;s teams finished 11th and 9th (in a 12 team comp.) Coleman's teams won 33 games and lost 7 in 48/49 while Footscray went 14 and 30 in 78/79.

That's a four year body of work (not including 1977) that it would be hard to find another other player in the history of the comp bettering. Even with the injured year of 1977 in he still has 406 goals over that five years period (where he played injured one year and played at CHF in another) at a very respectable average of 4.18.

Anyway that's his playing career. Would you like me to outline all of his achievements as the CEO of the Sydney Swans? The fact that he did more to make sure the Swans were on a solid financial footing when they were facing oblivion and the appointment of Barassi as coach? Not to mention the fact that as a footballer administrator the cache he would have bought to them as a Coleman/Brownlow medalist and the doors that would have opened for them must have been invaluable.

As an addendum. When he did his knee and virtually ended his career Kelvin Templeton was roughly the same age as Marcus Bontempelli is now. Could you imagine the fuss we would make of Marcus if he had won a brownlow and two Colemans by now-we'd be calling him the GOAT and not many could argue with that claim. Marcus is 2 cms taller than KT is and would have played almost exclusively as a tall forward in the 70s/80s.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

5. Likes bornadog, Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

John Schultz is another Bulldog great worthy of HOF recognition. A Legend of our Club, Schultz won the Brownlow Medal in 1960 and won 5 only Club B and F’s. He is one of only two League players to be a State Representative in the first 10 years of his League career.
    For 25 years he served on the League’s Tribunal in an outstanding contribution to our great game. Schultz also had the honour of presenting the Premiership Cup in 2016. John would be a worthy addition as Hall of Famer, given his excellent service.

7. Likes Twodogs, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    John Schultz is another Bulldog great worthy of HOF recognition. A Legend of our Club, Schultz won the Brownlow Medal in 1960 and won 5 only Club B and F’s. He is one of only two League players to be a State Representative in the first 10 years of his League career.
    For 25 years he served on the League’s Tribunal in an outstanding contribution to our great game. Schultz also had the honour of presenting the Premiership Cup in 2016. John would be a worthy addition as Hall of Famer, given his excellent service.
    Absolutely. But

He is one of only two League players to be a State Representative in the first 10 years of his League career.
    Do you mean the first 10 games? Because ten years is a long time to wait for a big V.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Absolutely. But

Do you mean the first 10 games? Because ten years is a long time to wait for a big V.
    I meant that there were 2 players in Fred Flanagan who Captained Geelong to its 1951/2 Premiership wins and John Schultz who represented Victoria in State football each year for the first 10 years of their League careers. A mighty achievement

10. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I meant that there were 2 players in Fred Flanagan who Captained Geelong to its 1951/2 Premiership wins and John Schultz who represented Victoria in State football each year for the first 10 years of their League careers. A mighty achievement
    Schultz was a brilliant ruckman, but like every other Bulldog underrated.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Gotcha.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW for anyone who is interested in reading a much better reasoned and more articulate argument as to why Kelvin Templeton should be in the HOF this was written by a good mate of mine for the Australian Football website.

https://australianfootball.com/artic...oversight/2003

Even if you aren't interested in reading about KT, the website is a really good read and has many excellent articles about footy from all over Australia (it's not V/AFL dominated) and from right through the history of the game. I thoroughly recommend it.

14. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I just watched that clip again, what amazing scenes, especially at the end when the kids run on the ground. and the siren hasn't even gone off. Even the coach is on the ground.

I was there that day and it was incredible.
    It was incredible. Trevor Barker was standing Kelvin for a lot of those goals too which is no mean feat.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree entirely NBP. I thought he was actually in it. Definitely worthy. I never saw him play a bad game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    It was incredible. Trevor Barker was standing Kelvin for a lot of those goals too which is no mean feat.
    Actually KT was standing on Trevor Barker's head for a lot of that time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Agree entirely NBP. I thought he was actually in it. Definitely worthy. I never saw him play a bad game.
    You are correct. I was confused between HOF and Legend status

19. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was also at that game in 84 didn't a hobbling KT kick 8 goals ??
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning