Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  159
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 Final Series

Very tense grand final. Don't know I could survive a game like that if we were in it...

Glad the Eagles won, they were the better side. Momentum changed quite a few times and the Eagles were able to maintain pressure and hold the Pies off while they made their runs. Sheed kicking that goal was huge, while McGovern had a great finish. The last passage of play was textbook - players out on their feet and the game was won by a few crucial moments in the air.

Was also happy to see Footsteps nearly drop the cup so I had something to rib my mates who support West Coast about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Spare a thought for poor Alex Woodward.

After having what would have been a long and successful career destroyed by a dodgy knee (the guy could seriously play), Nathan Buckley hires him as a runner, and he makes an error that leads to a goal in a grand final decided by 5 points. Was absolutely shattered in the rooms.

I wished upon wish that he'd make it after watching him in the 2014 VFL grand final. Its heartbreaking to see quality players and quality people not get a good run at it. Devastating.
    Hope he doesn't beat himself up too much. It was a shocking kick that went straight to the Eagles player. Stephenson would have done extremely well to impact the contest even if he was unimpeded, and who's to say he wouldn't have given away a free kick for chopping the arms or in the back anyway.

The better team won on the day.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Hope he doesn't beat himself up too much. It was a shocking kick that went straight to the Eagles player. Stephenson would have done extremely well to impact the contest even if he was unimpeded, and who's to say he wouldn't have given away a free kick for chopping the arms or in the back anyway.

The better team won on the day.
    Completely agree, Yeo was marking that anyway.

Can’t believe I feel for Collingwood fans - that was a filthy way to lose, but they were outplayed in the 2nd half.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Completely agree, Yeo was marking that anyway.

Can’t believe I feel for Collingwood fans - that was a filthy way to lose, but they were outplayed in the 2nd half.
    The only person I feel for is Buckley. In the past I never really liked him, but over the past year, listening to him on SEN once a week with Whately changed my mind. He has a very good football brain, he is very driven and wanted to put together his own team including getting rid of the rat-pack and win that premiership. He can still achieve it of course, but let a big opportunity slip yesterday.

As good as the back line is, I think they do need a tall down there.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The only person I feel for is Buckley. In the past I never really liked him, but over the past year, listening to him on SEN once a week with Whately changed my mind. He has a very good football brain, he is very driven and wanted to put together his own team including getting rid of the rat-pack and win that premiership. He can still achieve it of course, but let a big opportunity slip yesterday.

Completely agree. His discussions with Whateley have been fascinating and if anyone in football deserves to lift a premiership cup its Buckley.

Post Thanks / Like

Spare a thought for poor Alex Woodward.

After having what would have been a long and successful career destroyed by a dodgy knee (the guy could seriously play), Nathan Buckley hires him as a runner, and he makes an error that leads to a goal in a grand final decided by 5 points. Was absolutely shattered in the rooms.

I wished upon wish that he'd make it after watching him in the 2014 VFL grand final. Its heartbreaking to see quality players and quality people not get a good run at it. Devastating.
    Absolutely agree and that ball was going straight down Yeo's throat.

Tough to see such heartbreak from him.

I must say though, because I guess intrinsically I'm a bit of an arse, when I saw the footage of Buckley hugging him I imagined Buckley as saying "Jaime Lannister sends his regards".

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I'm a big fan of Buckley. Seems to really have come into his own as a human as he's got older. He's been terrific to Murray Swinton, and he's always happy to have a bit of piss taken out of him.
    "It's over. It's all over."

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood and West Coast put on both of the only two finals worth watching and they were both cracking games.

That shot on goal from Sheed was insane. I can't remember a bigger clutch set shot in a Grand Final.

I feel for Nathan Buckley. Deserves to be part of a premiership.

Any doubt over who 'won' the Kennedy- Judd trade has surely been put to bed.
    I bet Brisbane fans wouldn’t see it the same way.

There seems to be almost unanimous widespread vitriol on this board for the way Griff left us (after giving his all for many years) and I would argue that the way Buckley treated Brisbane was much, much worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post

There seems to be almost unanimous widespread vitriol on this board for the way Griff left us (after giving his all for many years) and I would argue that the way Buckley treated Brisbane was much, much worse.
    Ahem.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I hated the way that the Weagles fans got into Eddie McGuire after the game. That man truly bleeds for the Magpies, and no doubt he was shattered inside. Whilst I am sure that he has the hide of a rhinoceros, he did not deserve the baking he got at the ground, and afterwards on Twittersphere. Have a heart guys, how would you have felt after coming so close.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

12. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I have to say I hated the way that the Weagles fans got into Eddie McGuire after the game. That man truly bleeds for the Magpies, and no doubt he was shattered inside. Whilst I am sure that he has the hide of a rhinoceros, he did not deserve the baking he got at the ground, and afterwards on Twittersphere. Have a heart guys, how would you have felt after coming so close.
    Nah he's a pig and he can get stuffed.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Nah he's a pig and he can get stuffed.
    C'mon Happy Days, when it comes to your team we are all still children inside. I don't believe I am any different now after 60 years, than the five year old walking to Western Oval all those years ago. A loss like that would have been devastating.

Unless of course, you said that with love.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

I have nothing against Eddie.

Good businessman who built an empire but he still stands up for the smaller clubs like ours. He cops far too much flak for all the good he does

16. Likes Dry Rot, Max469, hujsh, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post

I would be one of those people that disliked him leaving Brisbane to chase a premiership. Well guess who missed the 3 peat and now as a coach still doesn't have one.
    He was a great player but I would have liked him to stay with the Bears or go to any other club than Collingwood.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I have nothing against Eddie.

Good businessman who built an empire but he still stands up for the smaller clubs like ours. He cops far too much flak for all the good he does
    Agree. He's gone out of his way to support us on several occasions. Bulldog supporters shouldn't have an issue with him.

He was genuinely excited for us when we won in 2016.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

19. Likes Dry Rot, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the great ironies, had the Pies won, would have been Buckley receiving the Jock McHale medal from Denis Pagan. For those that don't know, Bucks signed on with North after deciding to leave Brisbane but reneged on the deal at the last minute to join Collingwood instead - he told Pagan to his face that he was going to the biggest club in the land to win premierships. Needless to say, Pagan didn't take too kindly to the news and made sure his players terrorised Buckley for the rest of his career.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"