Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cornes in The Age: The damning signs that show Beveridge is steering the Dogs off course

Kane Cornes in The Age: The damning signs that show Beveridge is steering the Dogs

Luke Beveridge and Leon Cameron graduated to AFL senior coaching from the Alastair Clarkson finishing school, a year apart.

Cameron went to Greater Western Sydney in 2013 and ? as is often said ? was handed the keys to the Ferrari, a high-performance machine he could not drive to success.

Beveridge joined the Western Bulldogs in 2014 and two years later ? with a patched-up, banged up unit starting from sixth on the finals grid ? won a drought-breaking premiership.

Now, after a refit of the Bulldogs squad, Beveridge is living Cameron?s overwhelming challenge. He has a shiny new Mercedes, and the tank is full of high-octane fuel, but the vehicle?s GPS is broken.

In nine seasons as senior coach, Cameron could not craft a premiership-winning blueprint to match the extraordinary talent and speed the Giants possessed. He took the so-called orange tsunami ? that dynamic game plan that Cameron strangely lost faith in ? to five finals series, culminating in the 2019 grand final disappointment. The critics won out.

Beveridge is now in Cameron?s seat as the driver challenged to navigate a powerful engine many other AFL coaches would be envious to drive. The horrendous opening to the season shows Beveridge is steering the Mercedes way off course.

The AFL?s best coaches have left Beveridge in their dust.

The Western Bulldogs cannot defend. Since winning the 2016 premiership, they have ranked in the bottom nine teams for conceding a score from an opposition inside-50. To put this into perspective, 15 out of the past 18 premiers have ranked top six in this indicator.

More damning, the Bulldogs were ranked 15th of 18 for defending the opposition?s ball movement from the defensive 50 last season. Despite a full pre-season to address this glaring weakness, Beveridge could not devise a plan to stop Melbourne on last Saturday. The Demons scored 50 points from their defensive 50; the league average is 12.

The Bulldogs? list wants for nothing. It has the league?s best midfield, led by captain and four-time All-Australian Marcus Bontempelli. Tom Liberatore, Adam Treloar, Bailey Smith and Jack Macrae are prolific and young ruckman Tim English is elite. Half-backs Caleb Daniel and Bailey Dale are All-Australians, and Aaron Naughton is one of the game?s best key forwards.

Beveridge once faced a void with key-position defenders, but after claiming Liam Jones as a free agent and being gifted father-son wunderkind Sam Darcy in 2021, he no longer has this excuse.

Adding to Beveridge?s woes is his inability to halt the opposition?s momentum. In the 2021 grand final, the Bulldogs led by 19 points midway through the third quarter but lost the game by 74 points. Melbourne kicked 12 unanswered goal, and Beveridge?s Mercedes went way off course.

The script was repeated in last year?s elimination final against Fremantle. The Bulldogs coughed up a 41-point lead to lose by 13 points.

Josh Dunkley won the Western Bulldogs? best and fairest award last season after announcing he would leave to join the Brisbane Lions. When comparing Brisbane?s pre-season training to his former club, Dunkley noted that the Bulldogs hardly ran in the pre-season. Could a lack of fitness be a reason for their fadeouts in big games? Melbourne kicked eight goals to the Bulldogs? four in the second half on Saturday night.

Adding to the club?s troubles is Beveridge?s repeated bizarre public comments.

Before the 2021 grand final, he fired back at criticism of Treloar with this: ?If you?re going to fail in life, fail at something that is noble. Fail at something you can dust yourself off and be proud that you had a go.

?If you?re failing at trying to pull people apart and bring people down, like two or three journalists did this week, I don?t know how people around you can live with you, how they can lie in bed with you, how they can look at themselves in the mirror.?

In the post-game media conference after last year?s season-opener, Beveridge launched an extraordinary personal attack on journalist Tom Morris.

After the round 10 win against Gold Coast last season, he vaguely questioned the tactics of Suns defender Sam Collins on Naughton. On review, Collins? method was entirely within the rules.

Beveridge was due to come out of contract at the end of this season. However, the club surprisingly and prematurely extended his deal to the end of 2025.

It would have been wiser for the Bulldogs board to wait until the midway point of the season to gather more evidence on whether Beveridge can fix the broken navigation system in the shiny new Mercedes.

Adam Kingsley eventually inherited the keys to the GWS Ferrari; only time will tell whether Beveridge?s mechanics can fix his broken GPS or whether the Merc needs a new driver.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

2. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cornes in The Age: The damning signs that show Beveridge is steering the Dogs off course

Every year Kane writes a negative article about Bevo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cornes in The Age: The damning signs that show Beveridge is steering the Dogs off course

Jesus.

That's an out and out attack, and completely incoherent. I mean even for Corn Kanes.

Bevo isn't going to be spared this season by anyone, but mostly not by us fans. But what does the smarmy little shit want after a first game **** up? The shiny pressed mother****er needs to pull his head in.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Likes Bulldog4life, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our defence all over the ground has been poor for some time. Most of the rest of the article, as well as some glaring factual errors (thanks BTragician for ? those), is sensationalist tripe. Most footy journalism is drivel.

Given coaches only need to be paid 6 months if sacked extending a coaches tenure and showing confidence in them doesn’t seem so crazy to me. I’ve given up watching footy programs and listening to radio programs. I read the articles posted on woof, and perhaps peek at what afl has on their website (amazing how they have little or no articles on the important topic of concussion). Life’s too short to pay much attention to nufties and HQ psychophants (spelling intentional).

7. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our defence across the ground in 2021 was top five. We can do it, we just need to do it....or believe we can do it.....or something that results in us doing it.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Our defence across the ground in 2021 was top five. We can do it, we just need to do it....or believe we can do it.....or something that results in us doing it.....
    That’s the difference between an Alex Keath with and without whatever ligaments in your knees that lets you move laterally. Al was legitimately a top 3 key defender in 2021 and fell off a cliff in that off season.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    That’s the difference between an Alex Keath with and without whatever ligaments in your knees that lets you move laterally. Al was legitimately a top 3 key defender in 2021 and fell off a cliff in that off season.
    And what happens forward of centre with McSteal and a few others playing out of their skins/ with a lot of eagerness and putting some pressure on the out-ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Cody averaged 1.7 goals a game last year, averages 1.6 over his career. The running down of him and his efforts puts me off. He's 22 and is almost elite and we can't find a decent thing to say about him, or bemoan his importance to us in missing last week.

How many forward pockets have we ever had average 1.6 goals a year in their first few years of footy? He averages more goals than Pickett across their careers!

12. Likes josie, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ghost Writer Caro.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Cody averaged 1.7 goals a game last year, averages 1.6 over his career. The running down of him and his efforts puts me off. He's 22 and is almost elite and we can't find a decent thing to say about him, or bemoan his importance to us in missing last week.

How many forward pockets have we ever had average 1.6 goals a year in their first few years of footy? He averages more goals than Pickett across their careers!
    No he’s a loser for playing through a broken elbow. Keep up my man.

15. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cornholio just hates the dogs.

This time next year the article will be about our premiership hangover

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to go out on a limb here (and probably cop a bit of flak), but I quite like Cornes. Him and Buckley might be the two I agree with the most often in the media (though Bucks is clearly smarter). But I for one think Cornes is pretty level headed. Maybe that means I’m insane.

But he hasn’t said anything here I haven’t read in this very forum, or from dogs supporters elsewhere: we can’t defend, fitness might be an issue, we turn big leads into bigger deficits, the list is good but Bevo is out of ideas.

There are some decent stats in there, and sure, some overdetermined Dunkley comments - but again, nothing I haven’t read here.

Other than the fact he’s not a supporter, can you really fault him?

18. Likes D Mitchell, anfo27, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I am going to go out on a limb here (and probably cop a bit of flak), but I quite like Cornes. Him and Buckley might be the two I agree with the most often in the media (though Bucks is clearly smarter). But I for one think Cornes is pretty level headed. Maybe that means I’m insane.

But he hasn’t said anything here I haven’t read in this very forum, or from dogs supporters elsewhere: we can’t defend, fitness might be an issue, we turn big leads into bigger deficits, the list is good but Bevo is out of ideas.

There are some decent stats in there, and sure, some overdetermined Dunkley comments - but again, nothing I haven’t read here.

Other than the fact he’s not a supporter, can you really fault him?
    I'm with you about Cornes. I actually don't like him and I do find him interesting and yet his analysis is something that I think many would agree with.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

For what it’s worth Corn picked us to be top 4. I think he’s just being vindictive here (shocking I know).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Our defence all over the ground has been poor for some time. Most of the rest of the article, as well as some glaring factual errors (thanks BTragician for ? those), is sensationalist tripe. Most footy journalism is drivel.

Given coaches only need to be paid 6 months if sacked extending a coaches tenure and showing confidence in them doesn?t seem so crazy to me. I?ve given up watching footy programs and listening to radio programs. I read the articles posted on woof, and perhaps peek at what afl has on their website (amazing how they have little or no articles on the important topic of concussion). Life?s too short to pay much attention to nufties and HQ psychophants (spelling intentional).
    I?m not sure why, but something is screwy when I post, meaning quote marks ? are replaced by question marks ?
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic