Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  14
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs great turns 102

The Western Bulldogs’ oldest past player, a former club president, has celebrated his second birthday in a row locked down.

Jim Miller, who was born in West Footscray and now lives in Altona North, turned 102 during Victoria’s fourth COVID-19 lockdown.

Born a year after World War I ended and the Spanish flu pandemic started, Mr Miller has also lived through the Great Depression and World War II.

Mr Miller was part of the first Footscray team to play in a VFL final in 1938, his first season at the highest level.

After playing more than 130 games over 11 years, Mr Miller became vice-president of the Footscray Football Club from 1957-63 and president from 1963-66.

Speaking to Star Weekly by phone from TLC Aged Care – Marina, Mr Miller said he was “like a cricketer”.

“I’m 102 not out but the next ball might get you,” he said.

“We were very fortunate where I am – they’ve been very, very good about it and not one person here has had it [COVID-19].

“No one’s allowed in and we’re not allowed out. You feel quite safe here.

“You know, I’ve a lot of time to think sitting here in this room and the difference to when I was young and today are unbelievable.

“Melbourne here, when I went to the Footscray Technical School in 1931, ’32 and ’33, one of those years a teacher taught us that there were 750,000 people in the whole of Melbourne, which took in Dandenong to Sunshine and all the suburbs, and now there’s six million.”

Most of his childhood was spent growing up in Footscray’s Pilgrim Street and by age seven he was often at the football ground of a weekend selling Football Records and watching games.

After leaving school, he moved to First Street in West Footscray, where he met his future wife, Jean, who lived across the road.

They were married just before Christmas in 1940 and moved to Suffolk Street, West Footscray, where they lived for the next 77 years.

During WWII, Mr Miller enlisted in the army and air force and was stationed at Perth before returning to Benalla in country Victoria, becoming a flying instructor.

He later became self-employed as a transport operator of chemicals, bullets and dynamite around Australia.

Mr Miller said he watched every Western Bulldogs game, and other games, in his room at Altona North.

He said the secret to a long life included “good women and good food”.

“I’ve had broken bones and things during my life, like most people get, but by and large I’ve been very fortunate health-wise,” Mr Miller said.

“I can’t recall ever having a cold.”

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs great turns 102

Bet you Jimmy's full of great stories. Tough generation.

3. Likes EasternWest, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post

The Western Bulldogs’ oldest past player, a former club president, has celebrated his second birthday in a row locked down.

Jim Miller, who was born in West Footscray and now lives in Altona North, turned 102 during Victoria’s fourth COVID-19 lockdown.

Born a year after World War I ended and the Spanish flu pandemic started, Mr Miller has also lived through the Great Depression and World War II.

Mr Miller was part of the first Footscray team to play in a VFL final in 1938, his first season at the highest level.

After playing more than 130 games over 11 years, Mr Miller became vice-president of the Footscray Football Club from 1957-63 and president from 1963-66.

Speaking to Star Weekly by phone from TLC Aged Care – Marina, Mr Miller said he was “like a cricketer”.

“We were very fortunate where I am – they’ve been very, very good about it and not one person here has had it [COVID-19].

“You know, I’ve a lot of time to think sitting here in this room and the difference to when I was young and today are unbelievable.

“Melbourne here, when I went to the Footscray Technical School in 1931, ’32 and ’33, one of those years a teacher taught us that there were 750,000 people in the whole of Melbourne, which took in Dandenong to Sunshine and all the suburbs, and now there’s six million.”

Most of his childhood was spent growing up in Footscray’s Pilgrim Street and by age seven he was often at the football ground of a weekend selling Football Records and watching games.

After leaving school, he moved to First Street in West Footscray, where he met his future wife, Jean, who lived across the road.

They were married just before Christmas in 1940 and moved to Suffolk Street, West Footscray, where they lived for the next 77 years.

During WWII, Mr Miller enlisted in the army and air force and was stationed at Perth before returning to Benalla in country Victoria, becoming a flying instructor.

He later became self-employed as a transport operator of chemicals, bullets and dynamite around Australia.

Mr Miller said he watched every Western Bulldogs game, and other games, in his room at Altona North.

“I’ve had broken bones and things during my life, like most people get, but by and large I’ve been very fortunate health-wise,” Mr Miller said.

LINK
    What a legend.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I bet Jim taught a few opponents about footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post

LINK
    What a legend. I wonder where that ground is where he is kicking the ball? Is that Western Oval?
    Good women and good food hahah. Well played.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

7. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, WBFC4FFC, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good on Jim! Hoping we can get our 3rd flag this year.
    A Bulldog legend!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

He seems as sharp as a tack. Great story.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

10. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great story and an absolute legengd.
    The lucky bastard not only played for us but has been alive for six flags and seen us be Champions of Victoria.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim did so much for our club. Thank you mate. A super star.

13. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where is the obligatory Twodogs story about Jim?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

15. Likes EasternWest, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Where is the obligatory Twodogs story about Jim?
    The first house I ever owned was in Suffolk street in West Footscray, it's where both my kids came home from the hospital to. I did my Aged Care training at TLC Marina in Blackshaw Rd in Altona. I probably worked with Him many times without realising he was a bulldog legend, if I had I would have slipped him a few extra biscuits or something!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

17. Thanks azabob, Eastdog, josie, 1eyedog thanked for this post