Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Giansiracusa named Assistant Coach of the Year

Link

Daniel Giansiracusa has been named as the AFL Coaches Association Assistant Coach of the Year for 2020.

The award, voted on by the players and coaches, recognised the sizeable impact Giansiracusa made this year, as he admirably performed a number of coaching roles.

Giansiracusa has completed his fifth year of coaching - a pursuit he stepped straight into following a glittering 265-game career for the Western Bulldogs.

He was set to continue his role as Footscray’s VFL head coach in 2020, leading the team that he took to the finals in his first year at the helm in 2019. But with the disruption of the season his role shifted, and he coached the Bulldogs’ match simulation games and worked on opposition analysis.

The Bulldogs used 40 players in season 2020 – the equal most in the competition – with many players earning their spot by performing well in scratch matches under Giansiracusa’s tutelage.

Giansiracusa has coached at the Western Bulldogs since 2015, initially looking after the forward line before moving into the stoppages and set plays portfolio, and later taking charge of his own team in the VFL.

The Assistant Coach of the Year award is based on input from the players and coaches, on a 50-50 basis. Coaches asked to rate the assistant and development coaches at their club, based on their overall performance this year, allocating each a score out of 10 (10 being the highest score).

Each assistant and development coach received an average score out of 10 from their club’s coaching panel, which was matched by an average score out of 10 from their playing group, to determine an overall score.

Geelong’s Nigel Lappin finished in second place, with Carlton’s Luke Power third.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, azabob, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Giansiracusa named Assistant Coach of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

The Bulldogs used 40 players in season 2020 – the equal most in the competition – with many players earning their spot by performing well in scratch matches under Giansiracusa’s tutelage.
    The shade at Gardner and Gowers (and Bruce).
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Weird.

I mean, good on Gia, but really this is the win I had when i didn't win a game of footy.

But good on him for all the off-field stuff he did.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps a great indicator that our assistant coaches are refreshing the playing list.

We must rate Gia highly
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Perhaps a great indicator that our assistant coaches are refreshing the playing list.

We must rate Gia highly
    I think he is capable of taking on a senior role. I wonder if he would apply at North?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think he is capable of taking on a senior role. I wonder if he would apply at North?
    If you want a future in coaching you'd be crazy to take the North job.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

8. Likes bornadog, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    If you want a future in coaching you'd be crazy to take the North job.
    To be honest sounds like North are very close to where Fitzroy were before they went.
    They won’t disappear due to TV rights but they might be forced to move somewhere.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

We must rate Gia highly
    What do you mean?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    To be honest sounds like North are very close to where Fitzroy were before they went.
    They won’t disappear due to TV rights but they might be forced to move somewhere.
    Do you realise they have no debt, unlike Fitzroy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Word is Tasmania is pushing hard at the moment. It could be perfect timing for the Apple Isle.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Gia - hes got a serious and studious about footy nature - and it seems that the players are appreciating his approach to it

Post Thanks / Like

Good on Gia but does it say about a bit about our other coaches. The players rated the coaches and I think a club would prefer an even spread of votes amongst their assistants. He was Opposition Analyst this year so would have been good preferably to see a line coach get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't he supposed to be the VFL coach? Assume he did a lot of the work with the seconds...……….
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Wasn't he supposed to be the VFL coach? Assume he did a lot of the work with the seconds...……….
    Well, the article did say that...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Well, the article did say that...
    Was just responding to Bullies...…...he possibly did forward scouting as a result of not taking a full resource base to the hubs.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.