Likes Likes:  21
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Israel Folau saga

That door is only open to fools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Well if that's the list of things heading a great deal of us to eternal hell, I'm doing what The Bloodhound Gang said:

I'll spend my days with J.F.K., Marvin Gaye, Martha Raye and Lawrence Welk, and Kurt Cobain, Kojak, Mark Twain and Jimi Hendrix's poltergeist.
    ...and don’t forget Webster (Emmanuel Lewis) because he’s the antichrist.

3. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Peter Gordon was on SEN this afternoon discussing amongst other things the Israel folau issue. From a legal perspective, Peter believes Israel is in trouble. I missed some of what Peter said, so can't explain much further.
    If I were Folau's defence Lawyer (although Israel wouldn't like the defence) I would be challenging the prosecution to establish the existence of God, heaven and hell beyond any reasonable doubt. If they can't do that, then any "punishment" which he suggests might meted out for all eternity to those named, is indeed null and void.

Therefore no harm, no foul.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    That door is only open to fools.
    Plenty of fools about who'd be happy to walk through it.

6. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The constant argument of "freedom of speech" bugs me. Here in Australia, there is nothing in our Constitution that provides for freedom of speech. Freedom of religion, yes. FOS is part of the U.S constitution, not Australian. As others have stated, speech comes with consequences, and there is a law in NSW specifically addressing this issue.

Have your religious beliefs, but put them out in the open (when they deride a large number of people as sinners) and be prepared to deal with the consequences. Think of the young kid, a rugby fan, grappling with his/her sexuality. Looks up to Folau, only to be told he/she is a sinner. That could be the catalyst for disastrous circumstances.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

8. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    The constant argument of "freedom of speech" bugs me. Here in Australia, there is nothing in our Constitution that provides for freedom of speech. Freedom of religion, yes. FOS is part of the U.S constitution, not Australian. As others have stated, speech comes with consequences, and there is a law in NSW specifically addressing this issue.

Have your religious beliefs, but put them out in the open (when they deride a large number of people as sinners) and be prepared to deal with the consequences. Think of the young kid, a rugby fan, grappling with his/her sexuality. Looks up to Folau, only to be told he/she is a sinner. That could be the catalyst for disastrous circumstances.
    Even though we don't have a constitution that provides for Freedom of speech, what we do have is Hate Speech laws.

The hate speech laws in Australia give redress to someone who is the victim of discrimination, vilification, or injury on grounds that differ from one jurisdiction to another. All Australian jurisdictions give redress when a person is victimised on account of colour, ethnicity, national origin, or race. Some jurisdictions give redress when a person is victimised on account of colour, ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender identity, HIV/AIDS status or sexual orientation.
    Israel, gawn, ie goodbye $4 million contract.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We also have limits on speech through defamation and libel law.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Actually it's been reported that the bolded part is not true. RA screwed up and forgot to insert the social media clause, they tried to insert it after Folou had signed, but he refused. This will be one of the keys to his appeal.
    Foolish on their part. Thanks
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I think we're right off topic so I'm closing the thread
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

13. Likes Twodogs liked this post