Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  5
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pick 57- Tory Dickson

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Everyone craps on about what a shallow draft this is. Seems to make sense to me that we would target a mature player with a strong body. I reserve my judgement on this one and note that no-one commenting here professes to have actually seen him play.
    Interesting to see who will become the better player Crozier or Clay Smith. Especially given B Mac wanted Smith and the recruiting guys wanted Crozier.
    It sounds like Crozier has the potential to become an A grader however needs to put in alot of work in the gym. I have read there are queries on his desire/intensity, he can often go in and out of games. Prefers to take a hanger than provide multiple leads to the kicker.

Smith is probably the safer bet in terms of being able to get the best out of himself. Has been reported that he hunts the ball even if he is outnumbered, hits the man hard and will do everything possible to become an AFL footballer. (Hopefully he can address his kicking) Probably does not have the upside of a Crozier but as I said previously perhaps a safer bet? What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Interesting to see who will become the better player Crozier or Clay Smith. Especially given B Mac wanted Smith and the recruiting guys wanted Crozier.
    It sounds like Crozier has the potential to become an A grader however needs to put in alot of work in the gym. I have read there are queries on his desire/intensity, he can often go in and out of games. Prefers to take a hanger than provide multiple leads to the kicker.

Smith is probably the safer bet in terms of being able to get the best out of himself. Has been reported that he hunts the ball even if he is outnumbered, hits the man hard and will do everything possible to become an AFL footballer. (Hopefully he can address his kicking) Probably does not have the upside of a Crozier but as I said previously perhaps a safer bet? What do you think?
    Yeah. Sounds like Cross, doesn't he?

Post Thanks / Like

As for Tory, gee guys, haven't we all been a bit doom and gloom lately? All I heard from Bulldogs fans for years is how stupid we were for not picking up Pods, even though there were questions on whether he could cut it at AFL level and not just be a good lower-league player.

I'll give him two years before I get the knives out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    It's a bit of a stretch but could he develop as quickly as a Crameri under a full-time professional environment? Crameri was nowhere near AFL-fit until last pre-season when he tore it up on the track.

Unlike some of our previous hail-mary selections, at least Dickson has good recent form at the next level below AFL.
    It's easier to build fitness than it is to build football-smarts, which by the sound of it Tory has.
    Far to early to write the kid off.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    As for Tory, gee guys, haven't we all been a bit doom and gloom lately? All I heard from Bulldogs fans for years is how stupid we were for not picking up Pods, even though there were questions on whether he could cut it at AFL level and not just be a good lower-league player.

I'll give him two years before I get the knives out.
    I'm not burying him, I just worry that we seem to get scared into picking marginal players over where their real value is because of another team's potential interest. I just hope Shannon Grant is right.
    As for Pods, I was never convinced we should pick him up and I'm still not bothered that we didn't. He's an average AFL footballer in an exceptional team.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I'm not burying him, I just worry that we seem to get scared into picking marginal players over where their real value is because of another team's potential interest. I just hope Shannon Grant is right.
    Tory was our last live pick though - there was no other chance if another team was interested

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few concerns, one that we have not done anything to address our lack of A graders (perhaps we are positioning ourselves for next years draft to do this).
    The other is we do not have any tall kpp's on our list that can play both forward and back.
    Then there is the pace/kicking issue....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Everyone craps on about what a shallow draft this is. Seems to make sense to me that we would target a mature player with a strong body. I reserve my judgement on this one and note that no-one commenting here professes to have actually seen him play.
    Yeah, nothing against the guy, but why not rookie? We have a rookie pick before essendon, yes?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few concerns, one that we have not done anything to address our lack of A graders (perhaps we are positioning ourselves for next years draft to do this).
    The other is we do not have any tall kpp's on our list that can play both forward and back.
    Then there is the pace/kicking issue....
    Cordy could play forward or back, and Lake too, but why is that important?

Lukcy to get Talia falling to us at 39. It means we might be able to take 2 midfield guns next year if he is able to prove he is capable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Tory was our last live pick though - there was no other chance if another team was interested
    But realistically, who would have been? Maybe a 10% chance that Essendon picks him with 59. The guy was playing EFL.
    Anyway I'm not against the guy personally, I know nothing about him. I just hope he's more Stewart Crameri than Shane Thorne.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

I take heart from the fact that Geelong were smart enough to go for plodding, hard at it, short kicking, no frills Joel Selwood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    I take heart from the fact that Geelong were smart enough to go for plodding, hard at it, short kicking, no frills Joel Selwood.
    I would not say Selwood was classified as a plodder when he was drafted. I can recall recruiters all mentioning his strong leadership skills an courage similar to Talyor Adams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    But realistically, who would have been? Maybe a 10% chance that Essendon picks him with 59. The guy was playing EFL.
    Anyway I'm not against the guy personally, I know nothing about him. I just hope he's more Stewart Crameri than Shane Thorne.
    I really don't understand your question, unless you're saying we should have taken him as a rookie. We left him until our last live pick - if we want him on our list, what more should we have done?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    Cordy could play forward or back, and Lake too, but why is that important?
    Lukcy to get Talia falling to us at 39. It means we might be able to take 2 midfield guns next year if he is able to prove he is capable.
    I think you need players to be able to play in multiple positions on the ground (ie mids to go fwd and back, rucks to go fwd). I do not see how kpps 9excluding rucks) are any different.
    If there is any way we can stem the flow of goals being kicked or throwing a backman up front to score more goals, this can only be a good thing in terms of flexibility.

I agree about Talia, happy to pick him up for cover initially then he can take over from Lake when he has retired. If we can get a few guns next year (one a kpp forward to help Jones and a quick ball carriering skilful onballer) I would be wrapt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I really don't understand your question, unless you're saying we should have taken him as a rookie. We left him until our last live pick - if we want him on our list, what more should we have done?
    It's exactly what I'm saying, we should have rookied him.