Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  99
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Liam Picken

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liam Picken

”We’ve sought some external consultants in the medical field who know a little bit more about brain injury and can give us some support around concussion, to provide our doctors and our medical staff with some advice,” Beveridge said on SEN.
    Given how significant concussion and it’s management is to the future of AFL I’m surprised that AFLHQ with the AFLPA do not play a more direct role in supporting the Clubs with players suffering the effects of concussion. It’s a whole of competition issue which for the benefit of learning and application should be centralised and not left to the limited resources at Club level to navigate their way through.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    Just to clarify, not thinking of people here on Woof, more boofheads elsewhere that might label him as "soft".
    Picken was voted most courageous player in the AFL on more than one occasion wasn't he?
    Most oppo fans on BigFooty have been pretty decent about the issue. Some guys are just universally respected by neutrals and I think Picko is one of them.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

The journey has been a fascinating one. From Balmoral, to Hamilton Footy club juniors, kicking bags on seniors, to Sandringham, to Western Bulldogs, under Rocket, McCartney, Bevo, to 2016's best finals player, to lift the cup against Sydney, an absolute juggernaut of footy. Volunteer work in India, rescuing people in the rivers of Hong Kong, and all the other stuff. Have a rest Liam!

Absolutely gutted but glad to see him rest the body. Laughing at all those who derided his playing style and ability over the years. If ever a guy got 110% out of himself, it's Liam. Famous battles of note, V Gary Ablett, Brent Harvey and others I will think about. Anyone care to mention others? He was always the perfect match up for Brent Harvey. Shut down Cyril Rioli a few times. Even when we got beaten watching him tag others out was fun. But Bevo let him off the leash and the chance to show his skills. Footy nous, great balance, marking, hard as nails, and able to uphold what you would want 'Bulldog' to be.

My favourite player, but actually I don't want him to continue.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

4. Likes Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    The journey has been a fascinating one. From Balmoral, to Hamilton Footy club juniors, kicking bags on seniors, to Sandringham, to Western Bulldogs, under Rocket, McCartney, Bevo, to 2016's best finals player, to lift the cup against Sydney, an absolute juggernaut of footy. Volunteer work in India, rescuing people in the rivers of Hong Kong, and all the other stuff. Have a rest Liam!

Absolutely gutted but glad to see him rest the body. Laughing at all those who derided his playing style and ability over the years. If ever a guy got 110% out of himself, it's Liam. Famous battles of note, V Gary Ablett, Brent Harvey and others I will think about. Anyone care to mention others? He was always the perfect match up for Brent Harvey. Shut down Cyril Rioli a few times. Even when we got beaten watching him tag others out was fun. But Bevo let him off the leash and the chance to show his skills. Footy nous, great balance, marking, hard as nails, and able to uphold what you would want 'Bulldog' to be.

My favourite player, but actually I don't want him to continue.
    You mean Williamstown to WB
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Just about my all time favourite Dogs player and I've been following them since '67....just love his effort. Get better soon Picko!
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You mean Williamstown to WB
    Yep! I knew that
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

And only got on the list because Williamstown paid his rookie wage I believe.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    And only got on the list because Williamstown paid his rookie wage I believe.

Correct a mundo.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I read a post on FB that someone was out at training and saw Liam kicking footys. Step in the right direction!

Post Thanks / Like

Liam Picken is ‘desperate’ to play AFL footy again, despite ongoing effects of concussion

PREMIERSHIP Western Bulldogs forward Liam Picken is “desperate” to return to playing footy, says his cousin and Brisbane champion Jonathan Brown.
    Picken has suffered a string on concussions, with his most recent in the JLT Community Series ruling him out of playing indefinitely.

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge compounded the severity of Picken’s health when he suggested the 31-year-old could be forced into an early retirement last week.

But Brown said retirement wasn’t on Picken’s mind and that he was confident he would return to play this season.

“He’s desperate to want to get out there, but he’s still battling,” Brown said on Fox Footy’s On The Couch.

“He’s not well enough to do full training. He’s running, but still suffering from headaches.

“I think he’s got to get how he feels in life back to balance and I think that will come.

“He desperately wants to play again.”

Brown has been a wealth of information for Picken, with the three-time premiership player suffering a number of serious head knocks throughout his career.

Indeed, Brown’s retirement was prompted by a heavy concussion sustained against the GWS Giants at the Gabba in 2014.

“I know from personal experience, which is what I’ve been talking to him about, is that the big one I had took me six months to get over it,” Brown said.

“Then it clicked one day and away you go, you can resume training.

“I think Liam is still hopeful of playing this season.

“But I think first and foremost he’s got to get his sleep patterns back and his balance right and that may take time.”

Picken’s latest concussion, in which he clashed with teammate Josh Dunkley, has left him marooned on 198 AFL matches.

It was his second heavy head knock in the space of 12 months, after suffering a similar blow against the Dockers in Round 3 last year.

With the lasting effects of concussion a serious health concern for athletes from a number of sporting codes around the globe, Beveridge said the Bulldogs would tread a conservative path with Picken.

“Liam at the moment is quite openly saying that he knows he’s nowhere near ready to play again,” Beveridge said.

“There’s every chance that ‘Picko’ doesn’t play again this year.

“He’s still getting dizzy spells, he’s got headaches and he can’t train with the footballs.

“He cannot even cope with music in the four walls of the football club, so that’s how extreme it is at the moment.”

13. Thanks bornadog, angelopetraglia, N/A, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Obviously improved as he was out training today.
    Great to see.
    We also need to recognise Roberton at saints , hope they find his problem and he can get back to playing, scary to see that, from what I recall Eagleton did the same at port and they were able to fix his heart problem.
    Bring back the biff

15. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is life after Liam. There is Malachy, destined to be the greatest Picken, with Billy as a grandad, Liam as a dad and Annie Nolan as a mum, he comes from a long line of feisty, intelligent fighters.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    There is life after Liam. There is Malachy, destined to be the greatest Picken, with Billy as a grandad, Liam as a dad and Annie Nolan as a mum, he comes from a long line of feisty, intelligent fighters.

I saw Marcus grab a handful of Jose Romero's hair and bounce his head on the ground a couple of times at training once. He wasn't backward in coming forward was uncle Marcus because Jose Romero wasn't someone to take lightly.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Obviously improved as he was out training today.
    Great to see.
    We also need to recognise Roberton at saints , hope they find his problem and he can get back to playing, scary to see that, from what I recall Eagleton did the same at port and they were able to fix his heart problem.
    From memory Eagle had the same problem I do - SVT.
    It's quite a benign condition and can be fixed under local anesthetic and a two week rest.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers