Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
    Post Thanks / Like

Once…we were worriers - Bulldogs Tragician explains.

Link

The twilight world of the off-season used to be a time where footy faded slowly from our memory.
    There’d be little snippets of news. Players training the house down. Injury-plagued players the fittest they’ve ever been. We’d tune in just a little, but other things occupied our minds as the long summer days drifted along.

Now, since October 1, everything has changed.
    Again and again, we’ve watched those four epic finals, each a jewel in their own way, over and over. We still leap up when Liam Picken kicks the matchwinning goal. We cry, again, when Bevo gives Bob his medal.

We get goosebumps whenever we hear the music from Boom Crash Opera, the backdrop as OUR team ran around with the cup amid a hail of red white and blue confetti:
    This is the best thing that has ever happened to me
    These are the colors that I've always wanted to see

Our Christmas trees are decorated in red, white and blue; we eat our turkey and ham from placemats created from photos of our premiership heroes; the Grand Final is on replay to accompany that gentle post-Christmas snooze.
    (Please don’t tell me it was only my family that did all these things?)

My 13-year-old niece. who used to cry whenever we lost, can now recite the grand final commentary, word for word, from that moment that Dale Morris launched his famous, thrilling tackle on Buddy Franklin, to the final siren.
    Trams and buses now trundle past us every day, with The Bont emblazoned on their sides. The footy world knows, what we instantly grasped when we first watched the spindly kid in number four kick a freakish goal in a ho-hum match against the Dees. That The Bont is an outright star.

We don’t worry too much about the draft, or pre-season training or indifferent early form. Bevo ‘Our Saviour’ will have that all well in hand, we reckon.
    Sometimes, though, we stop and wonder.

What will it be like to watch matches without that ever-present, jittery, sense of impending disaster hovering over our shoulders?
    Will our first loss in 2017, whether that is in round one or round 20, hurt as much, now that terrible ache has been eased?
    Who are we, if not the ‘battling Bulldogs’, the Cinderella club, ‘everyone’s second favourite team’?

Still, there will be new chapters for the men who couldn’t be out there on 1 October. We’re desperate to see Wally and Bob and Lin and Red know that euphoria too. And maybe there will be another awkward spotty recruit that emerges as a potential star, even while we pray that ‘Keith’ Boyd and Dale Morris keep up their evergreen form.

We confidently hope – and expect - there will be some lines that are intriguing and mysterious from Luke Beveridge. A fleeting mention of the tardis, or Willy Wonka. Maybe he’s got something preposterous in mind.
    Such as seeing that Matty Boyd could be an All-Australian defender.

Almost on cue, we hear about Bevo’s speech at the season launch. He channels Dr Seuss.

The footy world is puzzled, but we - who once were worriers – smile and know exactly what he’s talking about. That ‘everything’s changed, but nothing’s changed.

And the magical things we can do with that ball, can once again make us the winningest winner of all.’
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Once…we were worriers - Bulldogs Tragician explains.

Did anyone go to the book launch last night
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    Did anyone go to the book launch last night

I did. I saw a cousin I haven't seen in years, William McInnes was there, and I hadn't seen him since before the Grand Final so it was good to catch up with him (we were in mothers club together-our kids are the same age) and Firstdogonthemoon was there. And the Bulldog Tragician was there too! It was a real shame I didn't have some time to hang around.

John Harms did the intro speech.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

What a brilliant way to capture it all. Great read

Post Thanks / Like

My copy arrived yesterday and I'm already more than halfway through

6. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    My copy arrived yesterday and I'm already more than halfway through
    I got mine today and can't wait to get cracking into it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

10. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post