Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  531
Page 1 of 63 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Talia

Post Thanks / Like

Michael Talia

It was a disappointing game for Michael yesterday but I still feel that when he gets his confidence he'll be an important part of our defensive structure. With Roughy and Roberts to come back what role do we see Michael playing down there.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Michael Talia

He looks big but I think he is lacking core strength, his weakness in 1 on 1's seems to come from trying to reach around his opponent to spoil instead of shifting them off the ball

More games and preseasons should help him improve
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I think Talia can play better. He is worth his spot on the list for another season or two for where he is at the moment and he needs to develop more, probably playing in the VFL more than the AFL over the next season.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly just a depth player for mine. His one on one work is terrible and has been for the last two years. Bevo's team defence has hidden his weaknesses very well for the most part. It's got very little to do with his core strength imo but rather his lack of confidence in his own ability. When he does do ok its because he backs himself in the contest instead of always looking for his opponent.

I personally have zero confidence in Michael becoming a 100 game player for the club. He has some currency and i would seriously look at trading him.

Post Thanks / Like

What role? Helping Footscray go back to back. I had high hopes for him last year because he looked likely in a few matches but he is one of the few players who has gone backwards under Bevo. He is misreading the flight of the ball, getting outmuscled in one on one contests and his direct opponent is losing him way too easily.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not prepared to write him off because he has at times this season shown he has some of the tools to develop into a reliable defender who is prepared to work on the transition too.

He clearly still has a few areas he needs to continue to work on, but I think ultimately with our best side in and our team defence holding up across the park he's capable of playing as that second/third defender.

It will be interesting to see whether he considers his future is best placed at another club, but given our other key defenders have injury concerns and maybe lack in durability I'm reluctant to do anything other than sign Talia up again.

Post Thanks / Like

If Michael wants to explore his options then we shouldn't stand in his way, but happy it give him more time if he wants. In saying that I don't see him being anywhere near our best 22 when everyone is available.. His inability to defend is a real problem, and one that isn't improving.. Yet?

8. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Talia's biggest strength atm is his durability, which is the one thing the rest of our key defenders do not have.

Should we get another key defender in I would be looking at offloading Talia for the best deal available. He is capable at AFL level, but has to many limitations to excel.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

He is generally good at judging the flight of the ball, but is poor one on one and has been since he was drafted - his lack of gametime last year was due to his poor progress in not overcoming a basic weakness in his game.

I'd rather keep him as we have poor depth in the KPD position but I'd understand if he wants to look elsewhere.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He is generally good at judging the flight of the ball, but is poor one on one and has been since he was drafted.
    Daniel must have owned poor Michael in the backyard because he is elite one-on-one.

12. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as it pangs me to say it, and gosh i hope to be proved wrong, but i just don't see it in him, i just cant see the upside.

Post Thanks / Like

If we do land a quality ruck in the trade period, does this free Roughy up to primarily become our #1 KPD?

If so, that puts Talia behind Roughy, Roberts and Hamling and must place his spot on the list under question.

Really comes down to the amount of upside the development coaches can see in him versus his value in the market.

Happy to be wrong, but my gut feel is that he'll be traded at the end of the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He is generally good at judging the flight of the ball, but is poor one on one and has been since he was drafted - his lack of gametime last year was due to his poor progress in not overcoming a basic weakness in his game.

I'd rather keep him as we have poor depth in the KPD position but I'd understand if he wants to look elsewhere.
    To me this is his glaring flaw. He doesn't seem to have any idea where the ball's going in flight which means he's totally reliant on his opponent to give him a guide as to where to position himself. It's why he's always watching his opponent in a one on one and seems a few steps behind and off balance. It's also why he so often goes 3rd man up and completely misses the ball with his spoil. It's a massive problem for an aspiring AFL key position player to try to overcome.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

16. Likes Cyberdoggie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    To me this is his glaring flaw. He doesn't seem to have any idea where the ball's going in flight which means he's totally reliant on his opponent to give him a guide as to where to position himself. It's why he's always watching his opponent in a one on one and seems a few steps behind and off balance. It's also why he so often goes 3rd man up and completely misses the ball with his spoil. It's a massive problem for an aspiring AFL key position player to try to overcome.
    so what is the modern theory for a defender? Watch the opponent and go where he goes, or watch the ball and leave the opponent to go for the ball?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    so what is the modern theory for a defender? Watch the opponent and go where he goes, or watch the ball and leave the opponent to go for the ball?
    There's nothing modern about one on one defending. You have to watch the ball and know where it's going all you're screwed, that's the starting point. Then it's a matter of body positioning and being strong enough to hold you're ground or having the reach to get your fist to the ball first.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

19. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post