Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  429
Page 1 of 104 123456789101151101 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Moving Rolling De-Listing/Trading Thread 2016

Back by popular demand, for those who think it's disloyal to ever say out aloud about the possible outs, it's just a discussion and you don't have to partake if you don't want to.

What was interesting last year was some peoples rolling De-Listing and trading list changed frequently, mine included. For instance, Prudden looked gone, Ayce was in and out, Minson was in, out, in, out again. Grant was a certain re-signing... I found it an interesting moving conversation and thread throughout the year. I think I was as wrong as I was right last year.

Essentially, there's just two categories to nominate names to, being: 'certain gone' and 'possible gone'.

For me, only possible names at this time of the year who need to reach or exceed expectations:

De-Listing or Retiring Possibles:
    Prudden. Needs a huge leap. Murphy, Boyd, Biggs, Webb, Dale, JJ are all ahead. Can he leap them? Big call to say he does.
    Minson. Just his age, if he doesn't have a big year I can't see a long time future. Nothing scandalous about his name.
    Matty Boyd. Champion of the club, if he keeps fitness and form he could go again. But if the other hbfs or even Hrovat can provide the same output as he could next year, it's a tough, tough call. I saw him in December, and he looked even fitter!!

Trade Possibles:
    Hrovat. Saints & Melbourne showed interest to the contracted Rat. Hopefully he's best 22, if not, then what?
    Roughead. He's a jack of all trades and master of none. Left out of the leadership group. If a trade offer came in, would we look at it? Again, hopefully he's best 22, if not, then what?
    Honeychurch. Same as above. If Hrovat, Dunkley and Daniel step up, he'd have some currency in the market.

The conversation we don't want to have is Clay. I hope we go cautious, and get him back to fitness even if it's by year's end. One more knee and you'd have to think that it's over. But I'm on the positivity bus on this issue, he gets back,gets into the engine room and up forward and is another gun recruit this year with Libba.

The flip side of potential trades is can we get currency to trade on some names that are uncontracted at year's end, or free up a spot and cash to raid the Essendon players classed as delisted free agents or any other free agents. I think it presents as the crucial off season list management towards a flag, being a possible gun top end kid and a free agent or two of quality. My thoughts are 4 or 5 primary list changes. But for the year I'm expecting us to have (a very successful one) it's going to be interesting to chart every now and then the names of possibles and certainties along team form and personal form, or injury.

Again, we'd all like every single player to perform 100% and never leave but the reality is 3 or more will be going. It's just a rolling barometer type thread and discussion about who they might be, and why.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving Rolling De-Listing/Trading Thread 2016

Fro the VFL watchers, what is Pruddens main hurdle? Is it simply leg speed or what?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    Fro the VFL watchers, what is Pruddens main hurdle? Is it simply leg speed or what?
    Watching him at AFL level, he plays like a deer in the headlights, like a first year player not sure what to do. For this reason, he lacks intensity and his decision making with and without the ball is poor. When he isn't given time to think, he's fine, but he doesn't display any real weapons.

He always seems to be injured or in the rehab group which has deprived him of the continuity he needs to build confidence and go into a game on the front foot
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Watching him at AFL level, he plays like a deer in the headlights, like a first year player not sure what to do. For this reason, he lacks intensity and his decision making with and without the ball is poor. When he isn't given time to think, he's fine, but he doesn't display any real weapons.

He always seems to be injured or in the rehab group which has deprived him of the continuity he needs to build confidence and go into a game on the front foot

Good summation.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I think a good place to start is to look at players who are not contracted beyond this year. In all probability, our delistings/traded players will most likely come from this group.

We have 18 players in total who fall into this category (as best as I can work out, not 100% certain though). I'd break them into 4 categories:

1. The 30somethings who are year to year propositions. All proven quality who should be back next year as long as the body or mind doesn't pack it in over the course of the year.

5 players; Bob Murphy, Dale Morris, Matthew Boyd, Will Minson, Jed Adcock.

I'd say Minson and Adcock have a little to prove to show that they are relevant to us in 2017 and beyond, the other 3 just need to stay keen and healthy and they are no brainers.

2. Required players who just need to sort out terms with the club.

7 players; Jack Redpath, Lachie Hunter, Koby Stevens, Tom Campbell, Tory Dickson, Joel Hamling, Shayne Biggs.

I'd say each of these clearly have long term roles with us, pending player and club coming to terms.

3. Yet to fully establish their positions as required players for 2017 and beyond who will need to show development in 2016 or be under real pressure/trade prospects come season's end.

4 players; Josh Prudden, Nathan Hrovat, Lin Jong, Declan Hamilton.

Some tough calls here, but a reflection of where our list is at. Looking at usual list development, it seems likely that at least 2 of these will need to be released come October.

4. Those coming back from serious injury.

2 players; Clay Smith and Roarke Smith.

Given their age both have shown enough to indicate they'll be kept on pending recovery. Should either not be back to full health come the end of the year, their position must also come under question.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 16-02-2016 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Redpath added

7. Likes Twodogs, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see why Jong is in your under pressure 4 but I think he will be in the required very quickly. He adds something we don't have a lot of and when injury free he showed remarkable improvement last year. I'm convinced after he broke his finger he was playing injured with a knee issue as well and it affected his confidence. Also hurt him after Stevens went down as we lacked inside mids, I think he's better suited being let off the chain more.

He's proven that he can play well in big games and make big plays at crucial times. Yes he can make some bad disposal errors but you have to admit they have come a long way from the year prior.

I'm expecting big improvement again in Jong and i'd almost have him as a lock in the 22 round 1.

9. Likes Bulldog Revolution, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I can see why Jong is in your under pressure 4 but I think he will be in the required very quickly. He adds something we don't have a lot of and when injury free he showed remarkable improvement last year. I'm convinced after he broke his finger he was playing injured with a knee issue as well and it affected his confidence. Also hurt him after Stevens went down as we lacked inside mids, I think he's better suited being let off the chain more.

He's proven that he can play well in big games and make big plays at crucial times. Yes he can make some bad disposal errors but you have to admit they have come a long way from the year prior.

I'm expecting big improvement again in Jong and i'd almost have him as a lock in the 22 round 1.
    Fair comment. I see Jong and Hrovat as 2 who are clearly good enough but have limitations they need to work on. As long as Lin can keep his body right and show more composure with the ball, I'm sure he'll be in our mix for 2017 and beyond - and may become an integral part of our team, but he still needs to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

PP,

What's Redpath's contract situation? I thought he only re-signed a 1 year extension last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    PP,

What's Redpath's contract situation? I thought he only re-signed a 1 year extension last year.
    Correct - see here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

PP,

He did.

Post Thanks / Like

PP,

Not sure now Mantis. I thought he was signed till 2017, but maybe not. He was upgraded from a Rookie in 2015 but the media release doesn't make it clear if it's a 1 year or 2 extension.

If he is up for renewal, I'd reckon he's required anyway given our lack of depth in key forwards/ruck and his seeming upside given a good pre-season and potential for improved mobility and endurance. Also seems a pretty good guy to have around the group.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Not sure now Mantis. I thought he was signed till 2017, but maybe not. He was upgraded from a Rookie in 2015 but the media release doesn't make it clear if it's a 1 year or 2 extension.

If he is up for renewal, I'd reckon he's required anyway given our lack of depth in key forwards/ruck and his seeming upside given a good pre-season and potential for improved mobility and endurance. Also seems a pretty good guy to have around the group.
    It was only a year so he is out of contract at the end of this year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BAD, B4L. Earlier post duly edited.

Post Thanks / Like

How many do you have to reduce your list by draft night? It's 3 isn't it? I could see Prudden in the firing line if he has trouble breaking into the seniors in 2016. I could see Matt Boyd and Morris retiring at the end of the year, maybe.

Honeychurch could be good trade bait, given we have plenty of smaller players and we got him pick 60. If he gets around 6 games this year he might be attractive as a pick 35-40 trade. Mind you I like him, he's not a bad footballer at all.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    How many do you have to reduce your list by draft night? It's 3 isn't it? I could see Prudden in the firing line if he has trouble breaking into the seniors in 2016. I could see Matt Boyd and Morris retiring at the end of the year, maybe.

Honeychurch could be good trade bait, given we have plenty of smaller players and we got him pick 60. If he gets around 6 games this year he might be attractive as a pick 35-40 trade. Mind you I like him, he's not a bad footballer at all.
    3 is the minimum changes. But I think that's a little light on, especially if we can keep a first rounder, get a decent FA and leave open trade works. Of the older boys, I think Boyd is most likely, then Murphy or Morris. If we have another good year I'm not sure any will voluntarily walk short of winning a premiership. Morris said at a function he thinks if his body holds up from injury he's looking at another 1-2 more years after this season. The 3 older guys could be the tricky part, I don't include Minson as I think he needs to do a hell of a lot this year to be even considered past this year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023