Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What happened to the Bulldogs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    So why should I as a long time paying member of the club be subjected to being treated as a fool by our president?

The most poignant statement through the entire process of replacing the coach at the end of last year was that, ' We are going through a refresh and not a rebuild'.... What a load of shit!!! Be truthful with your members and the footy public and communicate that a rough patch could be a head, but we will ride it out and climb back up the ladder... but this statement was a lie and the respect I have for him will never be the same.
    This is not just for you Mantis but for all the people who have a gripe. Go to the AGM. I've been to the last 4 and very few members get up to ask questions of the Board when they are invited to do so. So don't hide behind your computers guys to complain; as John Kennedy would say, 'do" something about it face to face with the Board. Be interested to know who does as I'll be there for the next one too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Agreed. Unfortunately we barely have a player with decent foot skills.
    When was the last time we drafted a regular member of our team who is a better than average kick?

Almost need to go back to Higgins who has a nice action, but he isn't really an elite kick.
    Last edited by Mantis; 28-06-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

When was the last time we drafted a regular member of our team who was better than average kick?

Almost need to go back to Higgins who has a nice action, but he isn't really an elite kick.

Ryan Griffin for mine.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    He is the president and was at a press conference. He was putting some spin on the Rocket sacking. It just seems harsh calling him a liar to me.
    Ok not liar just a bulldust artist.

Post Thanks / Like

When was the last time we drafted a regular member of our team who was better than average kick?

I think Howard will turn out to be, though I take your point. Hopefully Tutt has a decent run at some senior football soon.

Higgins is a little hit and miss with his kicking, as is Griff. It's a pretty crap state of affairs at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

So when the club plays the meek and understated card we're weakling losers with a poor culture and don't know how to win, but when we puff out the chest and show a bit of arrogance we're negligent in our duties? Can't have it both ways. The point of my post was really that none of us are prepared to stand up and do it better, so who are we to knock em?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Ok not liar just a bulldust artist.
    That I can agree with.

Most footy people seem to be that way when a microphone is in the vicinity unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

That I can agree with.

Most footy people seem to be that way when a microphone is in the vicinity unfortunately.
    The difference is he did to his own members.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    So when the club plays the meek and understated card we're weakling losers with a poor culture and don't know how to win, but when we puff out the chest and show a bit of arrogance we're negligent in our duties? Can't have it both ways. The point of my post was really that none of us are prepared to stand up and do it better, so who are we to knock em?
    No problem having arrogance but when you cant walk the walk you are rightly criticized.
    You get knocked down when it's proved wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

That I can agree with.

The difference is he did to his own members.
    The president also has to be political in what he says so that he doesn't put off people from renewing their memberships. Our supporters are so fickle.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    But the roller coaster has the tendency to make you violently ill.
    and that's why you keep coming back for more.....I liken supporting the bulldogs to my golf game.....moments of genius interrupting long periods of frustration......that though is the reason I keep playing golf!

Post Thanks / Like

So why should I as a long time paying member of the club be subjected to being treated as a fool by our president?
    Because you, like the rest of us are members of the Bulldog tribe. No matter how bad they do, how many times they disappoint, how much frustration they dish up, how many good players they lose and coaches you like they sack you will remain a member of the tribe.

Take it from me I escape to Brisbane and then London this website is still the first one I check to see if there is any snippet of new information re the Bulldogs. At the end of the day all supporters re fools, its just a matter of accepting that and moving on and enjoying being part of it.......lets face it, the highs as a Bulldogs fan are immense!

Post Thanks / Like

Best thing for the club was to lie to the members?
    Who is he to judge the state of the list? He is President not the Coach or the List manager.
    Lie? Its only a lie if you believed it. It was spin. Spin for the media. I would suggest that most here didn't believe it.

Post Thanks / Like

As the head of the club he shouldn't be making promises he cannot keep.

He of course needs to be across all parts of the club, but most importantly he needs to know how our team & list are placed or at least have staff under him feeding him correct information... While a few people, including some well resepected posters on here were bullish about our upcoming prospects the general consensus was that we were in for some pain, to make the statement he did, with the confidence he did was negligent within his duties.
    I think the opposite. I think its his job to make promises he can't keep. The trick though is to cover them/smother them and spin them in a way so that the outcome is positive. If Smorgon has failed and I believe he has it is on the latter.....I've said it before, but I'll keep saying it, the club missed a real opportunity to present the refresh (rebuild, regeneration, reenergisation, re (insert word)) in a positive way......if he was negligent that he was negligent of doing this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I think the opposite. I think its his job to make promises he can't keep. The trick though is to cover them/smother them and spin them in a way so that the outcome is positive. If Smorgon has failed and I believe he has it is on the latter.....I've said it before, but I'll keep saying it, the club missed a real opportunity to present the refresh (rebuild, regeneration, reenergisation, re (insert word)) in a positive way......if he was negligent that he was negligent of doing this.
    It's hardly a hangable offence.