Thanks Thanks:  76
Likes Likes:  153
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Melbourne - 2021 AAMI Community Series

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    What odds we go in with just English and not Martin?
    Sadly it just wouldn’t surprise me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Or neither of them?

Dunks and Bont can handle ruck for us vs Grundy.
    It would be an interesting exercise to see what would happen if a team actually set up to concede the ruck duels. It happens every now and then when nobody is nominated for a boundary throw in, or ball up. The result is not always what you might think, ie. the team with the only nominated ruckman wins the ball. I know we appeared to more or less set up that way for short periods of the game, with English resting. But with such a strong midfield is it worth consideration ?
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

3. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    It would be an interesting exercise to see what would happen if a team actually set up to concede the ruck duels. It happens every now and then when nobody is nominated for a boundary throw in, or ball up. The result is not always what you might think, ie. the team with the only nominated ruckman wins the ball. I know we appeared to more or less set up that way for short periods of the game, with English resting. But with such a strong midfield is it worth consideration ?
    I know AFL is not Southern District reserves but occasionally I'd get forced to ruck and I was such a poor choice for a ruckman (only 6'1" and not athletic) that I wouldn't ruck at all - I'd just rove to the opposition ruckman.

It was surprisingly effective. I remember one game the opposition ruckman got so frustrated he ended up just punching it forward.

Again, I reiterate, Southern 2's is not AFL.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Again, please don't give anyone ideas
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn’t this what we’ve been doing the past 3 years?

7. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I think Ryan is more agile/athletic than Fletcher. But yes it’s slim pickings to go and say delist Fletcher for the tiniest hopeful upgrade in Gardner. But this is such classic Bevo. We’d back him in with stuff like this in 2017 and 2018. Unfortunately he’s getting more wrong than right these days.
    Which ones?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    What odds we go in with just English and not Martin?
    If we go with both then we will be very thin elsewhere. I think both ruckman will play but there is no doubt it leaves us ‘skinny’ for runners...

Just a choice that has to be made. Your bench is either one defender, one forward, one inside mid and one outside mid OR it includes a player who is primarily a backup ruckman leaving you one short elsewhere. And yes, you ‘can probably’ cover an injury but with 75 rotations it is more of a decision than most care to acknowledge.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    If we go with both then we will be very thin elsewhere. I think both ruckman will play but there is no doubt it leaves us ‘skinny’ for runners...

Just a choice that has to be made. Your bench is either one defender, one forward, one inside mid and one outside mid OR it includes a player who is primarily a backup ruckman leaving you one short elsewhere. And yes, you ‘can probably’ cover an injury but with 75 rotations it is more of a decision than most care to acknowledge.
    We have 47 midfielders though. So will be OK.

Pre season is finally over and the meaningful stuff can start. No excuses now and no more hypothetical. Hope we’re switched on and ready for the long season ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Do we have many players who are solely pigeon holed as defender, forward, inside mid, outside mid, these days? Plus the flexibility of English to play in a key forward post provides the flexibility to swing other key position players between each end of the field. I only see Martin playing first ruck as a problem if he is getting badly beaten, which hopefully will not arise. He is almost alone as a one dimensional payer for us.

Is the primary role of the bench injury backup or rotations for our runners? I’m sure it is a bit of both, but with just 75 rotations I suspect the need for runners dominates. Not sure if this last point supports or diminishes my earlier statements.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

12. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Which ones?
    Why do you make me accountable for my outlandish statements?

I didn't keep a journal so forgive me for having to take it from the top of my head. But things like:

-Retaining and also playing guys on the list who we all know are not up to it and who subsequently (in the same season they were given multiple games after proving how bad they were) got delisted. Guys like Gowers, Lloyd and I hate to say it, 2020 Dickson.
    -He gives multiple games to players and then we never see them again. Butler, Greene, Lynch, Young, Hayes etc. This could be seen as good or bad or out of necessity but it adds to the inconsistent messages being sent.
    -Continuing to go with 1 ruck despite it costing us again and again. I know we didn't really have a backup option but it's our own fault for not valuing a solid backup and recruiting one. Now looks whats happening when we finally have.
    -Easton Wood forward.
    -We recruited Schache, then Bruce whilst switching Naughton forward. Suddenly we have too many talls and not enough defenders.

14. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Naughton doesn't play we don't name a tall replacement, but an extra 'runner/utlity'. Problem solved.
    English/Bruce is enough height up forward considering Zont/Dunk (190cm+) will rest up forward and Wallis is a 'stand and mark' player rather than a crumber.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

-Retaining and also playing guys on the list who we all know are not up to it and who subsequently (in the same season they were given multiple games after proving how bad they were) got delisted. Guys like Gowers, Lloyd and I hate to say it, 2020 Dickson.
    All our leading goal kickers - I can't see any problems with this.

-He gives multiple games to players and then we never see them again. Butler, Greene, Lynch, Young, Hayes etc.
    I have no problem giving young players a go. All those players lost form and couldn't get back in the team.

Continuing to go with 1 ruck despite it costing us again and again.
    In 2019 Tom Boyd retired for one reason or another and would have made a great duet with English. WE brought in Sweet as a rookie, but he just hasn't kicked on. There was no one else so we recruited Martin. Not easy to recruit ready made rucks.

-Easton Wood forward.
    -We recruited Schache, then Bruce whilst switching Naughton forward. Suddenly we have too many talls and not enough defenders.

Easton Wood, one and a half games forward. We needed some one up there, the coach tried him and it didn't work. I like a coach who tried different things to win games. I can't see an issue here.

Schache is worth pursuing with, we need backup KPPs
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    If Naughton doesn't play we don't name a tall replacement, but an extra 'runner/utlity'. Problem solved.
    English/Bruce is enough height up forward considering Zont/Dunk (190cm+) will rest up forward and Wallis is a 'stand and mark' player rather than a crumber.
    Yes...but setting this week aside, Naughton is going to play 'eventually'.

I personally think only 2 out of Martin, English and Bruce/Schache (take your pick) should play. If English is now a key forward come ruckman, fine...we don't need 3 of those so Bruce misses.

I don't think we WILL do that but something has got to give. And with only 75 rotations, using them for key forwards is just plain dumb.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes...but setting this week aside, Naughton is going to play 'eventually'.

I personally think only 2 out of Martin, English and Bruce/Schache (take your pick) should play. If English is now a key forward come ruckman, fine...we don't need 3 of those so Bruce misses.

I don't think we WILL do that but something has got to give. And with only 75 rotations, using them for key forwards is just plain dumb.
    Doesn't playing Naughton in defence solve this?

Martin rucks 80%, English plays forward 80% and Bruce is our stay at home tall forward. This gives us the flexibility of bringing in another small.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I have no problem giving young players a go. All those players lost form and couldn't get back in the team.

In 2019 Tom Boyd retired for one reason or another and would have made a great duet with English. WE brought in Sweet as a rookie, but he just hasn't kicked on. There was no one else so we recruited Martin. Not easy to recruit ready made rucks.

Easton Wood, one and a half games forward. We needed some one up there, the coach tried him and it didn't work. I like a coach who tried different things to win games. I can't see an issue here.

I love your glass half full approach BAD

I don't have a problem with the initial recruitment of these players. It's the final years of their tenure with us that bothers me. They were clearly finished. And the end of season delistings prove that Bevo thought the same. Yet he continued to play them for multiple stints last year, despite them clearly showing they were incapable of playing at the level required. Gowers stupidly nearly cost us the GC game which would have cost us finals. We can't toy around with list spots and senior games.

Did they lose form? We'd have no idea if they lost form as we heard nothing about our reserves games last year. That may just be an assumption purely because they weren't played in the seniors. Anyway, I'm fine with players being given a go but there has to be some merit to it. Each game of AFL counts and if a player isn't ready, he's better off working up form in the reserves first. Was there really merit for these guys to play considering they were effectively never seen again after their initial stint? And if there was merit, how could they fall of the radar so badly that guys like Lloyd and Gowers were given games ahead of them despite them being delisted at the end of the year?

I take your point but Boyds issues didn't come from nowhere. We should have had some contingency in place given how raw English was/is. Fact is Bevo just doesn't rate the ruck so we didn't place importance in this area. I think the game just got away from him here and he's finally relented.

See, this is the problem. Wood did a whole preseason up forward. Months spent training up forward. Then after a one game sh*t show, Bevo pulls the pin on the whole plan. You've got to then wonder what the hell he is doing at training when he rips up his playbook after 1 game. If you have faith in your thinking, back it in for longer than 5 minutes.

I agree Schache is worth pursuing with. No problems there. But Bevo doesn't want to play him and instead persists with a guy who has shown even less in what is supposed to be his peak years.I have no problem with the recruitment of Bruce either. The problem for me is more around how our planning is done around list balance.