Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Where we got delistings wrong.

Thank you for your service. It's that time of year, out they go!
    I feel a bit bad for Jackson Trengrove. Didn't really use him much.

In your mind, which dogs players have been delisted a bit early?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where we got delistings wrong.

For me none.

All the players delisted are about right, with maybe Cavarra a bit unlucky. We should have gone deeper and delisted Roarke as well (he comes back in as a rookie)

I would have liked to have seen an all new Rookie list, with perhaps Sweet kept and Buku remaining on Cat B. I can't see Gardner making it either, but good luck to him if he improves.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Thank you for your service. It's that time of year, out they go!
    I feel a bit bad for Jackson Trengrove. Didn't really use him much.

In your mind, which dogs players have been delisted a bit early?
    Jackson Trengove for sure, he had plenty to offer us this year
    While not a delisting, Lachie Young was a terrific prospect
    Will Hayes is a better player now that when we drafted him. Hard to imagine how much better we expected him to get
    Matthew Suckling has another season in him as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jarrad Grant and Paddy Veszpremi. They could both still make it I reckon.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    For me none.

All the players delisted are about right, with maybe Cavarra a bit unlucky. We should have gone deeper and delisted Roarke as well (he comes back in as a rookie)

I would have liked to have seen an all new Rookie list, with perhaps Sweet kept and Buku remaining on Cat B. I can't see Gardner making it either, but good luck to him if he improves.
    Given Gardner's improvement and our lack of KPDs he was a no brainer to be retained.

Cavarra could still return.

Post Thanks / Like

About right for mine.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have never been ruthless enough with our delistings, but to their credit this year we have gotten pretty close.

Prior to the most recent trio being cut I was quite unsatisfied, but now i think we are in a pretty good spot.

I will be very disappointed if we re-draft Hayes/Cavarra, Id much rather we take the punt and give someone else a chance. Our history shows that when we draft someone they show good signs within their first two seasons, and we often shoehorn them into the side a touch early.

For this reason I suspect Khamis may not be a great prospect either, so would've been open to cutting him to, but this year is an anomaly so maybe only counts as half a season.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

12. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather rookie Ferg than Hayes personally

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    We have never been ruthless enough with our delistings, but to their credit this year we have gotten pretty close.

Prior to the most recent trio being cut I was quite unsatisfied, but now i think we are in a pretty good spot.

I will be very disappointed if we re-draft Hayes/Cavarra, Id much rather we take the punt and give someone else a chance. Our history shows that when we draft someone they show good signs within their first two seasons, and we often shoehorn them into the side a touch early.

For this reason I suspect Khamis may not be a great prospect either, so would've been open to cutting him to, but this year is an anomaly so maybe only counts as half a season.
    I won't argue here. My guess is that maybe we can just give Hayes & Cavarra a one year rookie contract. Thereby not taking a bet this year with late rookie draft picks with more risk about the kids. Next year these guys know the club and system as depth. If they don't make it next year, then in theory the draft pool is more reliable deeper into the rookie draft next year.

Or, I'm over thinking it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I won't argue here. My guess is that maybe we can just give Hayes & Cavarra a one year rookie contract. Thereby not taking a bet this year with late rookie draft picks with more risk about the kids. Next year these guys know the club and system as depth. If they don't make it next year, then in theory the draft pool is more reliable deeper into the rookie draft next year.

Or, I'm over thinking it.
    On the other hand if there's going to be a year where some serious talent might slip through to the rookie draft this could well be it

Post Thanks / Like

We need to be more ruthless most years
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We need to be more ruthless most years
    I mean really we could also cut all of Schache, Roarke, Sweet, Khamis and Lloyd and we would be losing maybe 10-15 games from next year and they would mostly be Smith picked as the 22nd man and Lloyd and Schache getting a couple of unimpressive games forward each, with none of them projecting to be probable best 15 players ever.

I'm not saying we do this but if we turned our list over a lot more we wouldn't have all these mediocre depth guys that have been given 4+ years on a couple of glimpses.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I mean really we could also cut all of Schache, Roarke, Sweet, Khamis and Lloyd and we would be losing maybe 10-15 games from next year and they would mostly be Smith picked as the 22nd man and Lloyd and Schache getting a couple of unimpressive games forward each, with none of them projecting to be probable best 15 players ever.

I'm not saying we do this but if we turned our list over a lot more we wouldn't have all these mediocre depth guys that have been given 4+ years on a couple of glimpses.
    But just to check, because I missed a lot of footy, Josh has performed better than Bruce this year on average. Is this correct?

For the archives I always felt Roughy was delisted a touch premature. But am biased seeing he's a Ballarat boy and favourite of mine.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

But just to check, because I missed a lot of footy, Josh has performed better than Bruce this year on average. Is this correct?

For the archives I always felt Roughy was delisted a touch premature. But am biased seeing he's a Ballarat boy and favourite of mine.
    Josh played two games and was injured for about 6 or 7 and never regained any form.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Roughead wasn't delisted - he wanted to leave as a free agent so we facilitated a trade for next to nothing to Collingwood.