Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  103
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 18 V St. Kilda At Marvel On Friday Night

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    This is the only thing that concerns me and why I just have some hesitancy in playing him too early.
    He's missed so much footy in the last two years and I wonder if he is really ready. Talent wise I've got no doubts about him.
    I think we can manage him through it.

Key back is probably the least physically demanding of the three obvious options (key back, key forward, ruck). I mean I am a long way from a sports scientist but surely if we aimed for him to play 2 out of every three games that would reduce the volume of work going through his body, and we have often had one or two players play less than 70% gametime so I don't see why he couldn't be that guy.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    I'd be looking at working Darcy into the side. I'd start him in the intercept defender type role and try and give him 5 games this year to get a feel for the level. My long term plan for him would be to keep him in that defensive role until Lobb/Bruce retire, then he takes their spot forward and as a relief ruck. Gives him an easier path into the league, gets him to 40ish games by then, and means we aren't making our talent (him and JUH) fight eachother for much needed match experience. Also we are desperate for anything resembling a quality tall in defence so if he can not be terrible then it's hardly costing us anything.

Clearly he is still a rake but I think he has assets we don't have available to us to deploy down back, and much like how Daniel isn't "exposed" for his height I don't think we will be caught out too often with him not being strong enough. SDK has a similiar build ( stronger after 3 years in the system but not a beast by any stretch) and is doing just fine, I'd be happy to ride it out with Darcy.
    Apparently De Koning basically spent his first 2 years on the cats list eating as much as he possibly could to gain weight. It worked and he is 15kgs heavier now than when he was drafted. He only played 1 game prior to this season so 2022 De Koning certainly isn't comparable to 2022 Darcy.

I don't mind the idea of giving some games to Darcy but I don't expect to see him lining up regularly until 2024.

4. Likes azabob, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have this bad feeling that Vandermeer will be back this week, the match committee love him. I just don't think he is a forward I would be trying to turn him in to a back pocket.

I'm expecting Bruce to play.

Post Thanks / Like

Easy one is Scott out for Baz.

Tobias and Juice are in our best 22 whether it's this week or whenever they are deemed ready. 5 day break but not sure how their minutes were managed and whether the toll of VFL is different. Really hard to know but if they are ready, they are in. I would not take a risk with them both coming back from ACLs. Maybe Tobias as a sub with the VFL bye.

Sam Darcy you'd think only comes in as R2/fwd. Surely we'd play him in defence last week if that was the possibility for this week. Maybe a hard one physically for him with the Saints having two legit rucks. I thought Schache was okay last week and I think whatever we do, it should be for Darcy's long term development. I'd give him another week at least in the VFL but can understand if we play him and will be a lot more excited about the game if he was selected.

Marra has been alright but might need to go if Juice and/or Darcy play. Bendendo I like the look of but probably the next guy out if we are still focusing on winning. Truck next I guess.

7. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally wouldn’t be putting Darcy in the eyesight of Melb and Geel. If he plays, I’d be leaving it to the last 2-3 games.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

9. Thanks kruder thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or does it feel like there has been a death in the family?
    No blame from me, but we have a game to win.
    Either Bruce or Darcy to come in to replace JUH or Schache.
    Bails Smith to replace Scott.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo has confirmed Smith will return (well, duh) but also:

As well as Smith, the Bulldogs could be boosted by the return of Josh Bruce for his first senior match of the season.

The key forward took another step in his recovery from a long-term knee injury by kicking 4.5 in the VFL last week.

"It's not great timing – five-day break after a state league game – but he seems like he's come through that game," Beveridge said.

"He's healthy and he should be available for selection.

"There's every chance his name will be added to the teamsheet."

Beveridge expects fellow goalkicker Aaron Naughton to overcome a sore knee, while Anthony Scott (concussion) will miss at least one match.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Is it just me or does it feel like there has been a death in the family?
    No blame from me, but we have a game to win.
    Either Bruce or Darcy to come in to replace JUH or Schache.
    Bails Smith to replace Scott.
    the only thing I am worried about with Bruce is he is coming back from a knee reco and hamstring and had played two games over the three weeks in a VFL, plus a 5 day turnaround
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    the only thing I am worried about with Bruce is he is coming back from a knee reco and hamstring and had played two games over the three weeks in a VFL, plus a 5 day turnaround
    Personally I would prefer Darcy now, for the team's sake.
    Young man Uncle Sam needs you.
    Season on the line. Darcy will take marks, is smart, composed and a very good kick albiet a young beanpole.

Post Thanks / Like

Jon Pierik in The Age claiming Bruce will return:
    "Bailey Smith will return for the Bulldogs this week after serving four matches in suspension. Josh Bruce will also return, from injury".

16. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do people think Darcy will all of a sudden come in, be taking marks in defence and making something. AFL is a massive step up from VFL. Imagine him in defence against the Geel fwds…no thanks.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Why do people think Darcy will all of a sudden come in, be taking marks in defence and making something. AFL is a massive step up from VFL. Imagine him in defence against the Geel fwds…no thanks.
    He won’t play yet. Early days for him

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agree. Another week or two for me as he still looks like he is lumbering and he looks slow enough when he is match fit. He also had no opposition last week as the Saints had no key defenders left. I would like Darcy but it appears Bruce will be in. Maybe with Howard and Clark out they fell they can stretch the Saints defence.

21. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Agree. Another week or two for me as he still looks like he is lumbering and he looks slow enough when he is match fit. He also had no opposition last week as the Saints had no key defenders left. I would like Darcy but it appears Bruce will be in. Maybe with Howard and Clark out they fell they can stretch the Saints defence.
    With VFL having a bye this week maybe that has swayed the decision

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I personally wouldn’t be putting Darcy in the eyesight of Melb and Geel. If he plays, I’d be leaving it to the last 2-3 games.
    Typically conservative from you, fair enough.