Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  28
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: From devastation to silencing the doubters

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Wood broke his hand and was torched all day.

Bad call in retrospect.
    Just a bad call, Wood's form wasn't anything flash.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's just take it one week at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Let's just take it one week at a time.
    Yeah, article is overkill. He still has a LONG way to go before he can be called a good defender.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Nearly come to fisticuffs with a really good friend over Gardi! (the invite to Yarraville nets was almost forthcoming)

I think he has improved a great deal and becomes everyone's whipping boy far too often

Post Thanks / Like

I think the article is extremely even handed. It doesn't claim he has become a standout performer, but simply points out "his emergence as a dependable option down back this year". I see that as very fair and reasonable. I also believe the level of criticism he received early in his career at the Dogs, far outweighed any inadequacies he displayed. Clearly confidence has played a significant part in his style of play and who can blame him for having some self-doubt.

He has become dependable. Can he become pivotal? Probably not, but I wish him, and by extension us, every success.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    I think the article is extremely even handed. It doesn't claim he has become a standout performer, but simply points out "his emergence as a dependable option down back this year". I see that as very fair and reasonable. I also believe the level of criticism he received early in his career at the Dogs, far outweighed any inadequacies he displayed. Clearly confidence has played a significant part in his style of play and who can blame him for having some self-doubt.

He has become dependable. Can he become pivotal? Probably not, but I wish him, and by extension us, every success.
    Good summation Bid.

8. Thanks Before I Die thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I reckon he can keep improving for a few more seasons. Could be a very good player if he keeps at it and plays to his strengths.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the commentary around him when he started was pretty full on, and irrational. But, as I say that I remember the majority of people watching him during those times were going through some pretty weird shit with lockdowns (remember those) and the mindlessness of watching football in slippery conditions in a shortened format.

He's come along well and I quite like him as a third string tall. We just need to find someone really good so he doesn't have to be a first or second string tall.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Likes Mitcha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he is our best tall defender right now. Keath's form this year isn't great, Cordy was always a few cm's short and gets beaten 1v1 to often. O'Brien hasn't been the answer either and the Schache experiment seems to have dropped off. That leaves us with Gardi, who has done a pretty good job this year considering the way we have defended as team. He's tracking in the right direction.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

13. Likes jeemak, bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Cordy was always a few cm's short and gets beaten 1v1 to often.
    Never noticed he wasn't tall enough
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Never noticed he wasn't tall enough
    You really need to stop being so open minded.

I think you need to start taking a more black and white approach when it comes to key position players and height.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

16. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    You really need to stop being so open minded.

I think you need to start taking a more black and white approach when it comes to key position players and height.
    Then he'd be a Pies' supporter.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Some of the commentary around him when he started was pretty full on, and irrational. But, as I say that I remember the majority of people watching him during those times were going through some pretty weird shit with lockdowns (remember those) and the mindlessness of watching football in slippery conditions in a shortened format.

He's come along well and I quite like him as a third string tall. We just need to find someone really good so he doesn't have to be a first or second string tall.
    Strongly agree with this. I'll admit my early opinion of Gards was very low and didn't see a long term future for him with us but he now has won me over. Ideally suited as a second or third kpd and not the main man. Seems to know his role and plays it quite well with good closing speed and a timely fist. Gun defenders get beaten by gun forwards more often than not so he will be made to look a bit silly at times, it happens, accept it.

20. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Still some of that irrational crap on facebook.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    I think he is our best tall defender right now. Keath's form this year isn't great, Cordy was always a few cm's short and gets beaten 1v1 to often. O'Brien hasn't been the answer either and the Schache experiment seems to have dropped off. That leaves us with Gardi, who has done a pretty good job this year considering the way we have defended as team. He's tracking in the right direction.
    Chief looks properly banged up. Spends quite a bit of time with the physio doing runs.