Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  39
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I seriously dont know

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I don't think Bevo is the problem.
    I do think our lack of change throughout our whole coaching group IS part of the problem.
    I would be disappointed if Bevo were to either be turfed or if he got sick of it and put his hat in the ring for say a North, Carlton or maybe Saints job.
    I'm recalling Leigh Matthews getting the sack at Collingwood...after being made the fall guy for their failure 5 years after their premiership.
    How'd that work out?
    He got gifted 50 gun players after a merge, had all the AFEL money he could ever spend and took his drunkenedness like ego and set about destroying a young kid called Tom Boyd later in life.

And if not for Akermanis, Collingwood would've won one or two if the threepeat. But I digress, they had the players and money from the Sith Lords at AFEL house.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Coach can't kick it for them
    Seriously BAD? Bevo was a shit kick too but the players don't coach themselves. He relied on the coaches to make him a better player-in the same way our players should be able to rely on the coaches to make them better players. The coach is responsible for playing standards and to give the coaches a pass because they don't kick the ball is (with all due respect) one of those trite things that people say when they don't want to face up to uncomfortable facts. And one of those uncomfortable facts is that the coaching department is underperforming as badly, if not worse than the playing group.

I don't want to be at the head of the queue with a pitchfork wanting to sack one of only two coaches to coach us to a flag in the last 94 years of AFL footy but we cant just continue to drift along in the manner we have or we wont have a club to follow at all.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

3. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally insane to sack the coach , but we need massive change around him .
    Not sacking Buckley and Hardwick the perfect example .
    The coach needs a massive self assess as I think he’s a bit deluded with a few on the list

5. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    We still have to bottom out. It's not going to be fun this year at all. Premiership of elite kids, then followed by going lower on the ladder year, after year after, year since. Every chance if things continue next year then there's another Shocktober type event. I don't have many addictions, mainly this club, and I just wished it was more fun for more of the time. It doesn't make me nearly as happy as it could or should.
    Deep down in my guts I'm readying myself for Bevo to walk at some stage of his own volition in much the same way Boyd has.

I say this in all earnestness.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I don't think Bevo is the problem.
    I do think our lack of change throughout our whole coaching group IS part of the problem.
    I would be disappointed if Bevo were to either be turfed or if he got sick of it and put his hat in the ring for say a North, Carlton or maybe Saints job.
    I'm recalling Leigh Matthews getting the sack at Collingwood...after being made the fall guy for their failure 5 years after their premiership.
    How'd that work out?
    It's not a coaching issue, it is a lack of the right players in the right areas. We have the worse defence in the AFL. We don't have intercepting tall players like West Coast do? Where is our McGovern, where is our tight nit backline group. I am beginning to think that guys like Cordy, Trengove, Wood, Williams and even Caleb shouldn't be in the backline.

Caleb gets alot of the ball, but does he instigate attacking footy? Is he a good defender one on one? Cordy is not strong enough or tall enough to play on any decent size forwards, Trengove is shoved around to fill holes. Then we have players that are not ready, like Young.

Our mids get alot of the ball, but are they damaging enough? There are holes all over the ground, and all Bevo and his assistants can do is plug holes and move them around.

We need to get more experience into some of these young players and hope they will be better in the next few years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coach can't kick it for them

The effort or lack of it was deplorable in the second half
    We should have lead at half time , but to fade like that is totally unacceptable

10. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not a coaching issue, it is a lack of the right players in the right areas. We have the worse defence in the AFL. We don't have intercepting tall players like West Coast do? Where is our McGovern, where is our tight nit backline group. I am beginning to think that guys like Cordy, Trengove, Wood, Williams and even Caleb shouldn't be in the backline.

Caleb gets alot of the ball, but does he instigate attacking footy? Is he a good defender one on one? Cordy is not strong enough or tall enough to play on any decent size forwards, Trengove is shoved around to fill holes. Then we have players that are not ready, like Young.

Our mids get alot of the ball, but are they damaging enough? There are holes all over the ground, and all Bevo and his assistants can do is plug holes and move them around.

We need to get more experience into some of these young players and hope they will be better in the next few years.
    Goes to the recruiting and list management, and Bevo’s our leader and the buck stops there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    We should have lead at half time , but to fade like that is totally unacceptable
    and that is not the coaches fault.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not quite at sack the coach. But I'm at the head of the queue that says he's contracted for 2020 and a KPI for a future contract must be team performance and is a matter for next year. If he's extended this year, like BMac a year before time was also, it will be a shit show of our own making. Clear out his entire entourage, less the ones that can do the job (Corey), and see how he goes next year and make an informed decision then. But please don't sign him early for no good reason. Everyone at the club needs to drive standards back up, and offering senior coaching contracts must be based on the highest of standards being met (which we are not doing yet).
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo put them in those roles and then selects them each week. How is he not responsible for the re-actions of his actions?

15. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Bevo put them in those roles and then selects them each week. How is he not responsible for the re-actions of his actions?
    We don't have any one else to replace them. When he moves players around this board goes into melt down and he is criticized.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    That is what is so dissapointing about today.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

and that is not the coaches fault.
    How is a lack of effort not the coach's fault? It's their job to get the best effort out of the players.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

We don't have any one else to replace them. When he moves players around this board goes into melt down and he is criticized.
    We have 5,000,000 HBFs. You sighted Daniel & Williams to move from the HBF. We have them covered. He plays Gowers in the middle. Gardner over Schache. Libba & Macrae and others in the forwardline. But it always seems to be the players fault, never Bevo's. Bevo, the guy who trains them, prepares them, selects their roles, selects them in the team, and moves them on match day etc.

20. Likes Sedat, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    How is a lack of effort not the coach's fault? It's their job to get the best effort out of the players.
    Remember in doco year of the dog, how everyone was saying 'Don't sack Joycey. He's a premiership coach a few years ago. Don't criticise Joycey, it's the players. The players should be sacked by Gordo'...

We are playing as a group like we were when (I think it was) Wallis Snr told them to turn the cameras off. Then... No more Joycey.

I'm not advocating termination, but that part of the doco shows how when the playing group gets beaten mentality with the coach, insipid results come, and something has to happen. If the players can't perform, then Grant & Bains need to work it out ASAP. If the players have checked out of the season, I'd like to know so I can too.

22. Likes Dry Rot liked this post