Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  56
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 5, Vs Carlton

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I'd drop English and bring in Trengove if we a set on a one ruck policy.
    Maybe he needs to learn his craft more at VFL level
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a hard one this week. I think Gowers/Dickson/Schache are all a bit risk of offering next to nothing for an entire game. I would drop Schache or Gowers for JT and go the extra ruck/forward. Don't think English or JT would do much worse and will help keep us fresh in the ruck at least. It's a tough one as I don't like either option short term.

Lippa for Richards is my other one. Would be awesome if one of the Youngs can earn a spot as they would fit right in with our team defence style.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Maybe he needs to learn his craft more at VFL level
    We need to also be a bit more selective with when we pick him. He was rag dolled last night and the hit out tally was a bit embarrassing.

He needs to get a lot stronger before he can be relied upon as a number 1 ruck.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I would drop Schache for Trengove and instruct the latter to bash and crash and run hard at all times when in the ruck to help fatigue the opposition ruck to make English's life a bit easier if possible.

Then I think I'd to see Williams in for Richards.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

In: Williams, Lipinski
    Out: Duryea, Gowers

Would also like to see Trengove come in but not yet sure of the 3rd out.
    Ideally would like to keep Schache in but not sold on him as a key forward at this stage of his career.

Possibly try him back and Trengove forward as changing ruck, pushing Tory out.

Richards form will fluctuate. He has too many tricks that we need, and thought at times that he started to show some of them again on Friday night.
    He’s still an in for me.

Post Thanks / Like

My concern with bringing a player up from the VFL is where he will be asked to play in the AFL side.

For example Lipper - he has played well in VFL games playing on the ball and being in the centre, but isn't likely to get that opportunity playing AFL football (where Maclean/Dunkley would be ahead of him if a midfielder went down).

The same would be true with Trengove who clearly plays best as a Ruck/resting KF and not a KF/relieving Ruck, but we need to persist with English in order to build his game.

Webb in the past is an example of what I am trying to say above - he went missing when asked to play a different role in the AFL team versus his role at VFL level.

I realise Bevo wants players able to play multiple positions, but in order for them to play their best footy, some also need to play in their best position for part of each game. I think Dunkley and Maclean are better mids than forwards and are examples of players this year not getting those opportunities to play in their best position. Even Easton Wood is now being asked to be the team's KD on the last line when we know his best football was as an intercepting 'third' man up type playing across half back.

I'm not really adding anything here that Woofers haven't already mentioned in part in other threads, but find it difficult to determine who should come into the side if we decide to push one or two players down to the VFL side.

But I need to commit...

Out: Richards (just needs to find some freedom in his game again)
    In: Lipper - a much slower player than Richards, but likely to be involved in the play more and bring his VFL form with him.

*Gowers stays in because we are playing Carlton and so 'good' Billy is likely to show up
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

7. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog, Happy Days, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In Lipper

Out Gowers (Not convinced he will make it.)

Post Thanks / Like

Watched the Sun v Blues game today. The Blues have some tall marking players in their forward line (McKay 204cm, McGovern 191cm, Curnow 192cm and Casboult 198cm). We will need to bring in an extra tall defender.

Post Thanks / Like

Been thinking more about this and I reckon it might be a solid time to pull the trigger bring Webb in and play him a mix of half forward and on the footy.

A good user of the football is always handy, and if Smads summation of his current presence on the ground is how it is then perhaps it's time for him.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Watched the Sun v Blues game today. The Blues have some tall marking players in their forward line (McKay 204cm, McGovern 191cm, Curnow 192cm and Casboult 198cm). We will need to bring in an extra tall defender.
    Surely Roberts deserves another chance.

13. Thanks The Adelaide Connection thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Robert's form has warranted it he replaces Cordy who was a non-event against Collingwood.
    Lynch for Gowers.
    Trengove for Schache.
    If Richards stays he is lucky otherwise out for Lipinski.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    They kicked it to Gibbons more often than not.
    Blues play dumb football.

I'd put in Trengove for Schache - Schache was putrid against Collingwood and Trengove will at least compete, and be a far better second ruck than Schache.
    Not sure of other changes - interesting Williams was 'rested' but can't get back into the side.

I'd swap Wallis and Dunkley's roles in the team. It worked late last year, I'm not sure why we've changed it this year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

16. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gloves McGovern looking unlikely for them.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get the ire for Cordy. He lost a couple of one-on-ones at unhelpful times but otherwise scrapped hard most of the night. He's there to apply aerial pressure and make life difficult for his opponents and that's what he's doing.

He's hardly done enough to get hooked for Roberts at this stage.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

19. Likes hujsh, S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Out: English, Gowers, Richards
    In: Trengove, Roberts, Lipinski

Tim English has be dropped. I know he was pitted against Grundy but a hitout count of 60-6 is not acceptable and will make it very difficult to win games. Tim might become a more confident and capable not to mention strong tap ruckman in time but he's playing a very important position and we can't just be sacrificing wins for the sake of his development. Trengove plays against Collingwood and we win that game, at least he's a competitor.

Roberts has played well for Footscray and we need his height down back this week.
    Billy G must find a way to stay involved in the play.
    Richards likewise.
    Lipinski rewarded for good form at Footscray, he might not have the same pace as Richards but he does find space and run the lines.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

21. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post