Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  164

View Poll Results: Should a coaching change be made?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, lets stick with Bevo and wait

23 38.33%
  • No, but lets prepare some options

19 31.67%
  • Maybe by mid season

5 8.33%
  • Yes, lets do it sooner than later and control our destiny

5 8.33%
  • Yes, but we should wait until we start canvassing options

2 3.33%
  • Support Bevo unconditionally

6 10.00%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Beveridge and our challenges

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    But we are success starved...isn't that just stating a fact?

Our history is that we are the best side outside of the finals...every year...with an occasional burst up or down the ladder.

Our history to to nurture champion players who finish their careers at other clubs.

Our history is that we are a club of great effort but low means.

We need to aspire for more in all areas and you would have to say in the Bevo 'era' whilst we haven't hit the heights of the Tiges (or Hawks of the mid-2000's) we have been pretty good...but it will take DECADES of similar performances to shake off 100 years of history.

In order to learn from history the first step is to acknowledge it...case in point - A great man once said that you are never finished as a footballer until you are recruited to play full-forward for Footscray. Rory Lobb - is that your music??

As for Brendan Gale - well, you could put his plans side by side with Carlton's 5-year plan from 2010...not everyone recruits Dusty Martin and (by the skin of their teeth) decides to retain an under the pump Damien Hardwick as coach at the end of 2016. Forks in the road. Are we at one? Well, only a history lesson conducted somewhere around 2027 will be able to tell us the answer to that!
    My issue is the readiness we seem to have as a club to accept that as our lot.

If you aspire to mediocrity that is the best you can get.
    If you accept mediocrity you will ultimately be unsuccessful.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    My issue is the readiness we seem to have as a club to accept that as our lot.
    Who is accepting it?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Who is accepting it?
    Well my original post was in reply to a post that I saw as accepting of us being a success starved club. (Sorry Rocco)

There is plenty of commentary from media, fans and opposition indicating we are destined to be an also ran.

We need the belief in the club and the Club needs belief that we matter and can be a sustained power in the competition.

Post Thanks / Like

Well my original post was in reply to a post that I saw as accepting of us being a success starved club. (Sorry Rocco)

There is plenty of commentary from media, fans and opposition indicating we are destined to be an also ran.

We need the belief in the club and the Club needs belief that we matter and can be a sustained power in the competition.
    I think if you talk to people in the club they are very bullish about the future. Off field we are kicking goals with a $70 million redevelopment, our balance sheet is strong and we are bullish about the talent we have. We have high expectations for this season and the future. Hopefully we can still hit our targets on field.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you talk to people in the club they are very bullish about the future. Off field we are kicking goals with a $70 million redevelopment, our balance sheet is strong and we are bullish about the talent we have. We have high expectations for this season and the future. Hopefully we can still hit our targets on field.
    Is that view formed by discussions within the last couple of weeks or is that from discussions at the season launch?
    Things move quickly, I'm not sure we are as robust in our convictions right at this moment.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Is that view formed by discussions within the last couple of weeks or is that from discussions at the season launch?
    Things move quickly, I'm not sure we are as robust in our convictions right at this moment.
    Just in general, plus Season Launch. The last two weeks is more the supporters worried. Two games don't make a season.

Post Thanks / Like

Just in general, plus Season Launch. The last two weeks is more the supporters worried. Two games don't make a season.
    Sure it's more that supporters are worried as that is a given but on discussions I've had lets not rule out some concerns internally.
    A win or at the very least a spirited performance would be well received.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Sure it's more that supporters are worried as that is a given but on discussions I've had lets not rule out some concerns internally.
    I hope we're not already in the territory of spirited losses being acceptable. I could insert a Terry Wallace line in here.

9. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was saying it about our fans. We were objectively success starved when Bevo took over. I would assume a club with less success would fawn over success more. Perhaps my point actually supports yours. I was not stating in a positive or negative lens.

1/ we were success starved
    2/ I would assume a success starved fanbase would rated a reign with a flag, another GF and 75% finals hit rate higher

FWIW when people say 'I don't accept mediocrity', it reminds me of what Richmond would say when I was growing up in late 80s-90s.

11. Thanks Bulldog Joe thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So the club rates our list?

Post Thanks / Like

My response is about the long term of the club, not the last two weeks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    So the club rates our list?
    Don't know, do they

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know, do they
    The recruitment at the end of 22 indicates that the club did/does rate the list.

You add experience when you believe you are contending at that is what we did with Liam Jones and Lobb.

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know, do they
    Your comment indicated that you knew the club rates this list. Apparently you are not so sure now.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know, do they
    Top 4 was the talk so I'd say so.