Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob Murphy: Where are they now (Jim Plunkett)

Bob Murphy Apr 17, 2019 4:49PM

I only shared a locker room with Jim Plunkett for a couple of seasons, but he’s the kind of guy that makes a big impression on you.

Warm, cheeky and good storyteller, Jim has what I would describe as ‘funny bones’.

I caught up with him this week in the lead in to the Easter Sunday clash between the Bulldogs and the Blues, or as Jim and I refer to it, the Jimmy Plunkett Cup!

1. This is essentially a ‘Where are you now?’ profile Jim, so um, where are you now?

I’m currently working at the Melbourne Football Club as the General Manager of People, Performance and Culture. It’s my fifth season working with the club.

I’ve been married to Bianca for 16 years and have three kids (Audrey, Harvey and Sylvie)

2. What’s your relationship with footy these days?

I love football, both personally and on a work front. It’s great to watch and play with the kids – plenty of games taking place in the backyard with the kids dressed up as players from the Bulldogs, Blues and Melbourne. Also, working with Melbourne and being intimately involved with the club and the game is a real privilege. The opportunity I have to work with the players, coaches and staff is fantastic. I love the emotional highs and lows the game brings, week in and week out.

3. Favourite on-field AFL memory?

I’ve got a couple. Playing my first game is a real clear memory for me. Driving to the game, waiting to get changed, the pre-game meeting, the warm up, the game (I did spend the majority of time on the pine so I got to watch a lot of the game, but it was an amazing memory!), signing the song after the win.

Having all of my family (half of Montmorency) at the game and them screaming every time I got the ball was a genuine highlight.

The other one didn’t actually take place in a Dogs’ jumper, unfortunately, but playing finals football for Carlton in 2001 is right up there. It was the only opportunity I had to play finals, and I can only imagine what it would be like to win a premiership!

4. Favourite Bulldogs memory?

There were plenty of great memories. Playing my first game for the club (as above) and winning the 1998 reserves premiership are some great highlights.

5. Still keep in touch with any old teammates?

I still keep in touch with a number of team-mates. I’m close with Brett Montgomery, Stephen Powell and Todd Curley. We had a great past players event last year where I got to catch up with a lot of former team-mates I hadn’t seen for years, and it was like had seen them three weeks earlier. It’s the beauty of being part of the Club.

6. Last time you were stopped in the street by a footy supporter?

Funnily enough last week (but a very long time prior to that!). A die-hard footy fan (would have to have been!) just looked at me and said, ‘Are you Jim Plunkett?’

7. Dogs v Blues this week – where does your heart lie?

I love both clubs for the opportunity they gave me, but my blood will always bleed red, white and blue. There is just something about playing your first AFL game for a club that can never be repeated. Plus, the kids have full Bulldogs outfits! Go Dogs!

8. When your kids ask you ‘hey dad, how good a player were you?’ You say....

I was an elite player with a number of gaps in his game – a bit slow, not a great kick and struggled to get a game, but loved every minute!

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

2. Thanks bornadog, Max469 thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bob Murphy: Where are they now (Jim Plunkett)

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post

I was an elite player with a number of gaps in his game – a bit slow, not a great kick and struggled to get a game, but loved every minute!

LINK
    Lol. Good stuff.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget the Aeroguard Mr Walker
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Don't forget the Aeroguard Mr Walker
    Not Jim Plunkett. Its a myth that's been debunked.

Jim did do another ad with Max Walker for Hugall Hoile Sprinklers but he was certainly not the 'Aerogard Kid'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post

Jim did do another ad with Max Walker for Hugall Hoile Sprinklers but he was certainly not the 'Aerogard Kid'.
    The remake, not the first one?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post

I always thought it was Jim Westy. Is there a link to the debunking?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I dont have a link but I have seen the Jimmy/Max Avagoodweekend debunked plenty of times now by Plunkett himself in interviews

Jimmy did make a couple of ads but the Max Walker/Aeroguard ad wasn't one of them.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

9. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Read here - discussed on WOOF 8 years ago

11. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the story how the club gift shop ran out of Jim Plunkett badges because his Mum had been in and bought the lot.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

13. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it was the pre season family day in early 1997. We had drafted Jim and Nathan Brown the previous November. So what did the coaching staff do to show off their 2 new recruits? Sent them running up the steps of the whitten stand, across the back and down the other side. And repeat. Ah, the good old days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    I think it was the pre season family day in early 1997. We had drafted Jim and Nathan Brown the previous November. So what did the coaching staff do to show off their 2 new recruits? Sent them running up the steps of the whitten stand, across the back and down the other side. And repeat. Ah, the good old days.
    I can remember sitting in the Whitten stand at training watching Patty Wiggins doing the same thing. Halfway through the second one he stops and yells out to Plough "How lmany times do I keep doing this?" and Plough yells back "Until I say to stop... And that's one more"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite