Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

It's behind a paywall , but I guess you could glean Essendon are still in the game .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Which says?
    He's taking over from Dodoro, and offering pick 11 & Fantasia, and we will push Jake there over Geelong.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

JAKE Stringer has met with Essendon chief executive Xavier Campbell as the Bombers ramp up their pursuit of the gamebreaking Western Bulldogs star.

Essendon confirmed to the Herald Sun that Campbell caught up with Stringer face-to-face last Wednesday.

Stringer, 23, has also spoken to Essendon coach John Worsfold and list manager Adrian Dodoro.

It is not the first time Campbell has arranged to meet a prospective Essendon player. Last year he sat in on the club’s final meeting with No.1 pick contender Hugh McCluggage.

Stringer appears almost certain to play for either Geelong or Essendon next season after he was placed on the trade table by Dogs coach Luke Beveridge.

He has also met with at least one other Victorian club, but will not be pursued by Collingwood.

The Bombers hold pick 11 in this year’s draft, while Geelong’s first selection is No.20.

Industry sources indicated Stringer was probably worth somewhere in between those selections and that the Bombers would be reluctant to release their first pick without receiving a later one in return.

Essendon can offer Stringer better financial terms, while the Cats’ stronger player leadership appeals.

The Bombers would likely offer Stringer around $600,000 per season, which could be close to $150,000 more than Geelong.

The inflated pay packet is Essendon’s ace in its hunt for Stringer, where he would join a potent attack alongside Joe Daniher, Cale Hooker and Orazio Fantasia.

Stringer’s ability to play midfield bursts would also aid a weakness at Essendon.

The Bombers declined to elaborate on the meeting.

It is understood Stringer and Campbell both walked away happy and the Dons are still heavily courting the 2015 All-Australian and 2016 premiership star.

Despite last using a first-round selection in 2014, the AFL has confirmed the Cats will again be allowed to trade away their future first-rounder.

But there are likely to be minimal early 2018 picks traded next month, given how bullish recruiters are about next year’s talent pool.

The Cats could also receive compensation selections as well as free up salary cap space should free agents Daniel Menzel and Steven Motlop depart.

Motlop has long been linked to Port Adelaide, while Menzel has only been tabled a one-year contract and was left out of the qualifying final side.

Stringer is expected to be one of several players to move clubs under contract when trade period begins on Monday, October 9.

The young father-of-two won the Bulldogs’ goalkicking award for the third consecutive season, sharing this year’s gong with veteran Liam Picken.

Last week Stringer said he was blindsided by Beveridge’s wish to cut ties.

“I’d be lying if I sat here and said I’d done everything right,” the No.5 draft pick said.

“But I took a phone call from (my manager) that let me know the club was putting me up for trade and I was in shock.

“I love the boys and I love the club”.

While Stringer has had unprofessional tendencies, he remains a much-loved figure to many at Whitten Oval and a favourite with supporters.

Beveridge said this month that the Dogs would only trade Stringer for the right price, but he appears to have almost certainly played his last game for the club.

---

A lot about what an attractive proposition Stringer is for any suitors.

Bugger all about a commensurate return for his current club.

If Menzel or Motlop are the centrepiece of anything coming back I'll spew up.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Hang on a minute. Did I fall off a ladder at work and hit my head? Why are we talking about trading back Griffen? Not only did he walk out on us as the captain he is a shadow of his best form and that's when he can even get back on the park.

So it's a hell no from me.
    It's interesting, GAJ is wanted by his former supporters, Griffen is just about being spat on by his former supporters

Says a bit without saying anything
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's interesting, GAJ is wanted by his former supporters, Griffen is just about being spat on by his former supporters

GAJ won premierships and a brownlow at Geelong and wasn't trouble, also had a legend old man at the club.
    That's the difference.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I like Rory Thompson but surely with Trengove all but signed you'd think he wouldn't suit us anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    GAJ won premierships and a brownlow at Geelong and wasn't trouble, also had a legend old man at the club.
    That's the difference.
    One left at the end of a playing contract for trillions.
    One quit the club, as the captain also, whilst being under contract.

Not like for like.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes azabob, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this probably won't be a popular comment but I wouldn't be against having Ryan Griffen back at the club at the right price.
    I hate the thought of him being used as a sweetener for the Blues which is being reported.

If we think we could get him fit we could run him off a half back flank.
    I think he is cooked and will struggle even more to get on the park, rather go to the draft.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    That's the difference.
    Griffen played more games for us than GAJ did for Geelong. Ablett left for money and plenty of it but their supporters seem to have accepted the lure of the expansion clubs. Griffen on the other hand essentially had a falling out with the coach.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but most Suns fans would like to do a lot more than spit on Ablett. Basically they think he can GAGF.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Griffen played more games for us than GAJ did for Geelong. Ablett left for money and plenty of it but their supporters seem to have accepted the lure of the expansion clubs. Griffen on the other hand essentially had a falling out with the coach.
    At the risk of sounding like I'm singing lines of Grease, tell me more, tell me more, tell me more, did he put up a fight?

(Which always really bothered me in that song. It's kind of illegal)

Post Thanks / Like

Firstly I haven't heard Ryan requesting that he wants to return to the Bulldogs to finish his career where it began.

Gary has been spruiking his desire to return to Geelong to do so for the best part of 18+ months.

Ryan also hasn't just won his Club's B&F nor been his Club's dominant player since his arrival.

And I also know of a number of Geelong supporters who aren't at all keen on GAJ's return, with one family I know having written to the Club with the old chestnut of "we will not renew our membership" if the Ablett pursuit continues.

I'm not sure where the interest in Ryan has come from. For me he looks like he's sitting somewhere between Deledio and StevieJ on the 'I'm done' scale.

And none of this touches on the damage his action inflicted on the Club and the load that it placed on those left standing at the Club through this tumultuous, but as time would tell, watershed moment for the Club.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Firstly I haven't heard Ryan requesting that he wants to return to the Bulldogs to finish his career where it began.

Gary has been spruiking his desire to return to Geelong to do so for the best part of 18+ months.

Ryan also hasn't just won his Club's B&F nor been his Club's dominant player since his arrival.

And I also know of a number of Geelong supporters who aren't at all keen on GAJ's return, with one family I know having written to the Club with the old chestnut of "we will not renew our membership" if the Ablett pursuit continues.

I'm not sure where the interest in Ryan has come from. For me he looks like he's sitting somewhere between Deledio and StevieJ on the 'I'm done' scale.
    I tend to agree I think his career is well and truely over.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also a no but I'm over what ever he did with the club and don't really care anymore.
    What I do see is a 31 year old with trouble staying on the park.
    So on that I would rather target someone with a bit more to give. Who that is I have no idea but surely we can find someone in better condition that Ryan.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone one else think we should use a player like Dunkley to gain more speed and skill into the the side? I just think linpinski is a similar type with more polish and we are seriously long inside mids.