Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 36 of 122 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041424344454686 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Personally I think it is time to get a new forward coach and bring in some fresh ideas.
    I'm not sure who on exactly who needs to go, but I do think we are well overdue for a change in our coaching lineup.. just not sure it's going to happen this year, with all the upheaval and staff reduction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Personally I think it is time to get a new forward coach and bring in some fresh ideas.
    I see you are slowly softening your view on changes needed.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Ashley Hansen is our forward line coach. Playing for West Coast as a centre half forward he kicked 95 goals from 78 games. Injury cruelled him. Even played a similar type game as Schache. There's your mentor.
    Hansen was quite a player and I suspect he would be a good mentor for Schache. The problem appears about how we develop our taller boys. We've tended to trade for KPP in recent years
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I'm not sure who on exactly who needs to go, but I do think we are well overdue for a change in our coaching lineup.. just not sure it's going to happen this year, with all the upheaval and staff reduction.
    Good point, it's a mess for all clubs at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Good point, it's a mess for all clubs at the moment.
    It has not stopped North making wholesale changes.

Justin Leppitsch is free - we need to convince him to put on hold his sabbatical for a little while longer.

PS GVGjr - I love your new avatar.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Justin Leppitsch is free - we need to convince him to put on hold his sabbatical for a little while longer.
    Why though. Leppitsch is one of the worst senior coaches of all time. Just because he got to hang around Dusty for a few years after doesn't mean he's any good.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't coaches who weren't getting another season have to be told as such a few weeks ago? Around the time when we announced Corey and Morris wouldn't be around anymore? Does that indicate we have committed to the rest of our coaching staff already? If so....yuck.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't coaches who weren't getting another season have to be told as such a few weeks ago? Around the time when we announced Corey and Morris wouldn't be around anymore? Does that indicate we have committed to the rest of our coaching staff already? If so....yuck.
    I thought the assistant coaches contracts go to end of August, so you may be right. I know Ben Graham was told he is no longer needed but chose to hang around and help through to the end.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok got a bunch more prospects for us to look at, this time around, pacy attacking wingmen to work opposite Hunter. I guess theoretically JJ could play that role, but I do think we could do better and the club seems to agree having chased Isaac Smith in the past.

So here are the names.

First up, Isaac Smith. 31 years old. Out of contract. We have shown interest in the past, he is a free agent, experienced, attacking and still good for probably 2-3 years. I don't love him but he is as attainable and ready to go as anybody in the league.

Lewis Jetta. 31. Out of contract. Brought up by Axe Man a couple of pages ago, he has an awesome kick, great pace and doesn't seem to be in the Eagles plans.

Kane Lambert. 28. A slightly different direction, Lambert still has quite a few years left in him and does not appear to be on the way out. But he is good, would play the role really well and would possibly only cost a second rounder. I think he is worth considering making a play for.

Tom Phillips. 24. Accumulator a bit like Hunter he doesn't seem to have too many weapons but is a very impressive runner and generally good all round. Collingwood didn't fight too hard to sign him up last year and with their contract delimnas might be willing to part ways with a guy they don't think is essential.

Oleg Markov. 24. Out of contract. Quick and direct runner. More of a halfback but think he could play on a wing and could give us a bit more movement across the field. Instant cult figure too, and must be cheap. Gold Coast apparently interested.

Oskar Baker. 22. A bit like Markov he is quick and plays quite direct. Is generally more of a forward kind of in the Vandermeer role, and has shown he can hit the scoreboard. Hasn't got much of a look in at the Dees and I think he would add something to our side.

Lochie O'Brien. 21. High draft pick who hasn't really progressed and only managed 1 game this year. I'm not really sure about him, all I know is he has a big forehead, but if he is available for cheap he could assist in giving us another wing option.

Brayden Fiorini. 23. Victorian who has only been given 5 games this year after being a regular in the past. Had a top 5 BnF finish and elevated to the leadership group in 2019 so not sure what happened, but is a accumulator like Hunter. Probably not a different enough type to Hunter to seriously consider, as I don't think he is a linebreaker like most of the other guys are here.

Conor Blakely. 24. Highly rated flanker type who is composed on the ball and pretty rangy. Not quick like a lot of others here but I see him as being a bit like Bailey Williams pre 2020, you can see he has the attributes to be a good player but for whatever reason he can't get any form going. Could be a good buy low moment.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

10. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work again soup.

From that list, I'm only interested in Jetta, Smith and Markov. These three offer what we lack - pace, ability to break lines and skill (though Markov is far less proven, but he's a useful player).

Lambert is a good player but not sure he brings a point of difference to our side. Phillips is OK but he doesn't have hurt factor, the rest of the names are basically similar.

More I think about it, the more I want us to go for Lewis Jetta. He ticks many boxes for us, he can play multiple positions, he runs and carries the ball, great skills, pace etc.

Post Thanks / Like

With Daniher signalling his intention to go to Brisbane, could we get Ben Cavarra and Tom Boyd into the ear of Daniel McStay as a versatile swinging big man?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    More I think about it, the more I want us to go for Lewis Jetta. He ticks many boxes for us, he can play multiple positions, he runs and carries the ball, great skills, pace etc.
    It's hard to play when you are petrified.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    With Daniher signalling his intention to go to Brisbane, could we get Ben Cavarra and Tom Boyd into the ear of Daniel McStay as a versatile swinging big man?
    Would like this if Daniel would be open to moving back to Melbourne.

btw What's the Cavarra link to McStay?

Post Thanks / Like

A Bulldog For Life also applies to our coaching arrangements.

17. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok got a bunch more prospects for us to look at, this time around, pacy attacking wingmen to work opposite Hunter. I guess theoretically JJ could play that role, but I do think we could do better and the club seems to agree having chased Isaac Smith in the past.

So here are the names.

First up, Isaac Smith. 31 years old. Out of contract. We have shown interest in the past, he is a free agent, experienced, attacking and still good for probably 2-3 years. I don't love him but he is as attainable and ready to go as anybody in the league.

Tom Phillips. 24. Accumulator a bit like Hunter he doesn't seem to have too many weapons but is a very impressive runner and generally good all round. Collingwood didn't fight too hard to sign him up last year and with their contract delimnas might be willing to part ways with a guy they don't think is essential.

Conor Blakely. 24. Highly rated flanker type who is composed on the ball and pretty rangy. Not quick like a lot of others here but I see him as being a bit like Bailey Williams pre 2020, you can see he has the attributes to be a good player but for whatever reason he can't get any form going. Could be a good buy low moment.
    These are the ones I think have some value for us. Smith was huge for the Hawks early in the season and we could easily get 2 good seasons from him

Phillips is a more than solid midfielder and I think he could add something for us and the is enough upside with Blakely that would interest me.

I think we are very likely to only bring in 2 established players from other clubs. O'Halloran would be my preference but the players could offer us something.

Is Hamling in any way gettable?

By the way, thanks Soupaman, you've really added some quality players to consider

19. Likes soupman liked this post