Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  67
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collingwood Football Club is guilty of systemic racism

Eddie McGuire failed to identify his use-by date and, when forced out, portrayed himself as the victim

Barry Cassidy

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-as-the-victim
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting.

I like Barry Cassidy and have read a couple of his articles on the topic and they resonate a bit, though I can't help but think life in the political media sphere has hardened him a bit much over time (check his face lines out), as he talks about things in absolute terms which isn't helpful (to sport or political discourse).

For instance Eddy was defencive at his presser, as anyone would be after 22 years at the helm trying to do his best. I'd have done a shit tonne worse than Eddy did today (albeit my misdemeanors would be a lot more trivial, but shocking at the same time compared to his). But was he really playing the victim?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Thanks for posting.

I like Barry Cassidy and have read a couple of his articles on the topic and they resonate a bit, though I can't help but think life in the political media sphere has hardened him a bit much over time (check his face lines out), as he talks about things in absolute terms which isn't helpful (to sport or political discourse).

For instance Eddy was defencive at his presser, as anyone would be after 22 years at the helm trying to do his best. I'd have done a shit tonne worse than Eddy did today (albeit my misdemeanors would be a lot more trivial, but shocking at the same time compared to his). But was he really playing the victim?
    In a word, yes. There was no contrition in his words yesterday, just a suggestion that he doesn't always get "it" right (which is a whole thing onto itself) and a laundry list of his achievements. It's another example of Eddie just not getting why this is happening, and thinking it is something happening to him rather than something he caused through years of ignorance.

Yesterday should have been a direct acknowledgement of the reasons why Eddie is stepping down, not a "fine I'll do it but its bullshit" victory lap presser followed by every Collingwood dickhead coming out of the woodwork to say that the club isn't racist and they never saw any racism under Eddie and what a great job Eddie did. Because now they're just back where they were before the report dropped, and the minority voices have yet again been silenced behind the wave of noise from the retired old players who let the whole culture of systemic racism foster in the first place. Why do any of it honestly.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I thought that Eddie's emotion beneath those tears was just rage and anger. 'Look at everything I did for you lot and where's the gratitude.'

The more so as he liked to think of himself as progressive. And to some extent he was in his early days, but the caravan always keeps moving on. We've all come a long way in understanding things to be racist that we might have thought of as just gentle banter in days gone past.

At some point Eddie got stuck and no longer "got it" or moved with the times. I feel that's where the 'proud moment' came from, an aggrieved almost paranoid sense that he thought himself as in the vanguard, doing all this great stuff, yet where was the love, the pats on the back, the recognition that he, the Broady boy, would always be fighting the good fight!

He's lost the larrikin edge and charm. Now he's a red-in-the-face blustering caricature, almost a parody of the perennially outraged Collingwood supporter.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I thought that Eddie's emotion beneath those tears was just rage and anger. 'Look at everything I did for you lot and where's the gratitude.'

The more so as he liked to think of himself as progressive. And to some extent he was in his early days, but the caravan always keeps moving on. We've all come a long way in understanding things to be racist that we might have thought of as just gentle banter in days gone past.

At some point Eddie got stuck and no longer "got it" or moved with the times. I feel that's where the 'proud moment' came from, an aggrieved almost paranoid sense that he thought himself as in the vanguard, doing all this great stuff, yet where was the love, the pats on the back, the recognition that he, the Broady boy, would always be fighting the good fight!

He's lost the larrikin edge and charm. Now he's a red-in-the-face blustering caricature, almost a parody of the perennially outraged Collingwood supporter.
    Good take.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    In a word, yes. There was no contrition in his words yesterday, just a suggestion that he doesn't always get "it" right (which is a whole thing onto itself) and a laundry list of his achievements. It's another example of Eddie just not getting why this is happening, and thinking it is something happening to him rather than something he caused through years of ignorance.

Yesterday should have been a direct acknowledgement of the reasons why Eddie is stepping down, not a "fine I'll do it but its bullshit" victory lap presser followed by every Collingwood dickhead coming out of the woodwork to say that the club isn't racist and they never saw any racism under Eddie and what a great job Eddie did. Because now they're just back where they were before the report dropped, and the minority voices have yet again been silenced behind the wave of noise from the retired old players who let the whole culture of systemic racism foster in the first place. Why do any of it honestly.
    You nailed it.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Both terrific posts.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

8. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After his proud day comments, and considering how long he has been there, it's probably the right result really that he has a break.
    The Goodes gaffe some years ago was really embarrassing and a massive red flag. We are trying to change Australian society.
    When Dippa came out with his gaffe, the AFL made him do a tour of aboriginal communities in the north. At the time of Eddie's 'gorilla' gaffe I felt he got off lightly.

All this Footy show style, TV nudge-nudge wink-wink, casual racism has to go. It's not only about racism but also bullying. Bullying is a huge problem in AFL. Watch Footy Show and how people revel in Australian bullying. Go to a game and listen to the names people call each other. There is theatre and then there is flat out nastiness.

Players have to realize they are in a work place and subject to the same laws as any other work place.
    You are not going to go around any office in Australia calling someone a chimp. AFL no exception.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 10-02-2021 at 09:11 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm amazed he walked, situation internally must've gotten quite toxic to turn Eddie around and accept that staying was more about him and less about Collingwood's best interests.

I don't believe he would've survived the Goodes saga if we were based in the US.

I don't hate him, he's been a positive figure in many ways, but he's lived a charmed adult life up to this point.

Listening to SEN yesterday afternoon was pretty soul destroying - a couple of good calls (if anyone was listening, Grace from Inverloch was magnificent) in amongst some really depressing stuff from the punters. Long long long long way to go in this space
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

12. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post

Listening to SEN yesterday afternoon was pretty soul destroying - a couple of good calls (if anyone was listening, Grace from Inverloch was magnificent) in amongst some really depressing stuff from the punters. Long long long long way to go in this space
    This is why I can't bring myself to listen to SEN anymore.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    This is why I can't bring myself to listen to SEN anymore.
    That and the constant ad breaks. I happened to tune into a vaguely interesting segment last week about which players would have some improvement in them but the amount of ads they had was unbelievable.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

McGuire is the living embodiment of the "die a hero or live long enough to become the villain" meme.

He has been great for a lot of reasons for Collingwood, but he became so bloated with self importance he thought he was untouchable. He thought he could say his quiet thoughts out loud.

It's never been more evident in his recent media appearances, where he clearly just doesn't get it.
    "It's over. It's all over."

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyway, I might add, if education is the mantra, it's an opportunity.
    An influential figure he could, after he heals up, play a key role in moving AFL policies forward. I like what Anderews said about leaders not running from problems. Out of touch, yes but freed from the chair of Collingwood, over time, I hope he is embraced by the AFL community, moves forward and not used as a whipping post. Certainly supported the Bulldogs in his time, and is a likable person.

Rendell, Goodes, McGuire, the race issue has taken its toll on AFL and a lot of it is about miscommunication and a need for education. But there is a danger too ( Rendell ) of throwing the baby out with the bath water.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how Varcoe found his time at the Pies?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Good post mate.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

21. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post