Post Thanks / Like

AFLX revealed: Who your club plays and when

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-17/...plays-and-when

AFLX revealed: Who your club plays and when
    Nat Edwards
    November 17, 2017 4:00 PM

AFL 2017 Round 06 - Essendon v Melbourne
    Melbourne and Essendon will be among six teams facing off at Etihad Stadium
    AFLX, the League's high-octane version of the sport, will debut on February 15 next year with the AFL including traditional soccer and rugby venues among the venues for three separate round-robin tournaments.

The modified game will be played in three cities across three nights, with six AFL clubs represented in each competition.

AFL.com.au can exclusively reveal that Adelaide will host the first round-robin at Hindmarsh Stadium on a Thursday night, the week before the JLT Community Series begins.

The Crows and Port Adelaide will be joined by Collingwood, West Coast, Fremantle and Geelong in the first ever AFLX tournament.

The fast-paced game will then head to Melbourne's Etihad Stadium on February 16, where the Demons, North Melbourne, St Kilda, Carlton, Hawthorn and Essendon will compete under Friday night lights.

The action then heads north to Allianz Stadium in Sydney on Saturday, February 17 when the Swans, Greater Western Sydney, the Brisbane Lions, Western Bulldogs, Richmond and Gold Coast will face off.

AFLX pre-season fixture

Pool A, Hindmarsh Stadium, Thursday February 15
    Adelaide, Collingwood, Fremantle, Geelong, Port Adelaide, West Coast

Pool B, Etihad Stadium, Friday February 16
    Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, St Kilda

Pool C, Allianz Stadium, Saturday February 17
    Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast, Greater Western Sydney, Richmond, Sydney, Western Bulldogs

AFLX was trialled by North Melbourne during last year's pre-season, while VFL clubs Port Melbourne and Coburg have also experienced the shortened format.

AFL general manager of game development Andrew Dillon said AFLX was an exciting alternative that could be used to take the game overseas.

"AFLX has been created to provide us with the options to play a form of the game in places where oval grounds are limited and to showcase our game internationally at a point in the future," Dillon said.

"Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide have each been chosen to host the individual tournaments with six clubs playing against each other in a round-robin format.

"The decision to hold three individual tournaments during the men's 2018 pre-season period has been chosen to introduce clubs, their players, their fans and the wider public to the AFLX game,” he said.

All 18 AFL clubs were provided with an AFLX document on Friday afternoon, which outlines the fixture and format of the tournament.

Clubs are yet to be shown a detailed brief of all the rules, but will be informed in due course.

Each AFLX tournament will consist of six teams, divided into two pools of three.

Teams in the same pool will play against each other once, with the top team from each pool facing off in a Grand Final.

Games will consist of two 10-minute halves with a two-minute break at half-time.

AFLX will be played on a rectangular field with dimensions similar to that of a soccer field, with 10 players per team.

It is a seven-a-side format with three players on the bench and there is no limit to rotations.

In order to create a fast and free-flowing game, the last touch out-of-bounds rule has been introduced, while the ball will be kicked in after all scores.

To promote high scoring, the League has also introduced a 10-point super goal for majors kicked from outside the 40m arcs.

Two field umpires will adjudicate the shorter format, while two boundary umpires and two goal umpires will also be required.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLX revealed: Who your club plays and when

Is this the game we used to play Westdog54? It'd look a lot better with competent footballers playing.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

The game is played on a rectangular soccer-sized pitch, allowing matches to be hosted by stadiums that usually lack the suitable field dimensions for Australian rules football.[1] Other rules unique to AFLX are:[1][2]

• Games consist of two 10-minute halves with a two-minute break at half-time
    • Played on a rectangular field with dimensions similar to that of a soccer field
    • Seven-a-side format with three players on the bench and no limit to rotations
    • Last touch out-of-bounds rule introduced (team that had last touch loses possession)
    • The ball is kicked in from full-back after all scores
    • 10-point super goals are registered for goals kicked from outside the 40m arc
    • No marks paid for backwards kicks (except for kicks/marks inside the 40m arc)
    • Free shot from inside the 40m arc to the opposite team in the event of a rushed behind
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The game is played on a rectangular soccer-sized pitch, allowing matches to be hosted by stadiums that usually lack the suitable field dimensions for Australian rules football.[1] Other rules unique to AFLX are:[1][2]

• Played on a rectangular field with dimensions similar to that of a soccer field
    • Last touch out-of-bounds rule introduced (team that had last touch loses possession)
    • Free shot from inside the 40m arc to the opposite team in the event of a rushed behind
    I love everything to do with the Bulldogs but I will be boycotting this attempt by the AFL to spread even further, and in turn diminishing the AFLW matches that will be happening at the same time.

5. Likes Hotdog60 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, that's fairly similiar to the game that WD54 (and Rocco Jones, MJP, Cyberdoggie, Firstdogonthemoon and some others used to play. Except if the ball touched the ground it was a turnover to the opposite team and you could only kick goals from a set shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep, that's fairly similiar to the game that WD54 (and Rocco Jones, MJP, Cyberdoggie, Firstdogonthemoon and some others used to play. Except if the ball touched the ground it was a turnover to the opposite team and you could only kick goals from a set shot.
    And you can tackle in this version.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    And you can tackle in this version.
    I got tackled in our version. A huge airforce guy forgot what game he was playing and ragdolled me. He remembered at about the time he was swinging me above his head and as he threw me into the ground (thankfully a little more gently than he had intended) yelled "oh shit, sorry mate I forgot"

Post Thanks / Like

WTF are the AFL bothering with this rubbish.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rather we didn't play, all I can see is players getting injured.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good example of the old saying: "just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should".

The AfL think that because Rugby has Sevens and Cricket has T20, then they need an abridged version of our game.

Never mind that the other two are on the same sized field and didn't need a radical re-write of the rules or scoring system.

Post Thanks / Like

Kids. Every teenager I have spoken to about AFLX is unbelievably excited about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Additionally, with there only being 2 proper preseason games, this format will mostly be played by the fringe players or draftees to get them a bit more game time and maybe earn a place in the preseason games themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we just play a 1 man team and let Suckers take on all comers?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Rather we didn't play, all I can see is players getting injured.
    Yeah that's the obviously concern. Something we want to try and change as we have had really bad luck with injuries in recent years and things like AFLX certainly increase the chance. I'm happy none of our players played in the International Rules series.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What was your game called?