Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo: Free agent Dogs have to lift

Link

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has put the heat on premiership ruckman Jordan Roughead and midfielder Mitch Wallis to lift their performances in a season where they both will become free agents.

Roughead has battled indifferent form and injuries since the Bulldogs won the flag in 2016, while Wallis has been in and out of the side since he badly broke his leg 18 months ago.

With both spending time in the VFL this year, Beveridge wants Roughead to be more consistent and Wallis to add polish and scoring to complement his strong inside game.

Speaking to the media on Friday morning, Beveridge said both have a future at Whitten Oval, but they will need to find form to make sure 2018 isn't their last season in the red, white and blue.

Roughead, 27, grew up barracking for the Dogs, while Wallis, 25, is the son of Bulldog former club captain Stephen Wallis.

"(Roughead) is a free agent at the end of this year, so we're working with his management at the moment to try and re-sign him because he's definitely a required player," Beveridge said.

"He'll need to perform at his best pretty quickly to establish what his future is beyond this year, and I really believe he can.
    "Mitch is working his way back from that leg break, and hasn't exactly got back to his absolute best, but I'm sure he will.

"He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score.

"We want our mids to score and really capitalise on their involvement in the game, and Mitch is trying to grow that.

"Like 'Roughy', Mitch is definitely a required player, and I and other coaches talk to him weekly around what his focus areas are to get back in the team.

"I've got no doubt he will get back into the team."

Dale Morris will play his first senior game of the season against Melbourne on Saturday at Etihad Stadium, with the 35-year-old playing two games in the VFL in his return from a pre-season knee injury.

Beveridge hopes the highly-respected veteran's presence will inspire his young side ahead of a clash with arguably the AFL's hottest team.

"Our inconsistency around the real combative side of the game has left us a little bit vulnerable in different games, so he'll definitely pep up the boys in that regard," he said.

"It's just important that everyone not only feeds off it, but brings their own form of attack on the footy and opposition."

Beveridge said versatile defender Zaine Cordy failed a fitness test on a concussion he received in the loss to the Magpies, while impressive draftee Aaron Naughton will have another week off with an injury sustained in round eight.

Marcus Adams' horror run with injury has continued, with the hulking key defender sidelined with a corked thigh received in his second VFL game back from a pre-season ankle injury.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bevo: Free agent Dogs have to lift

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

"(Roughead) is a free agent at the end of this year, so we're working with his management at the moment to try and re-sign him because he's definitely a required player," Beveridge said.

"He'll need to perform at his best pretty quickly to establish what his future is beyond this year, and I really believe he can.
    Wouldn't a more prudent approach be to see how Roughy performs over the next 6-8 weeks before we even think about re-signing him?

He is hanging on by a thread at present so lets see how his performances stack-up before we put pen to paper.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that’s what he said in a roundabout way .
    He needs to perform , simple .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I think that’s what he said in a roundabout way .
    He needs to perform , simple .
    He stated that Roughy is 'definitely a required player'... that seems pretty clear to me.

My stance is quite different in that he needs to prove that he is a required player for season 2019 and beyond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He stated that Roughy is 'definitely a required player'... that seems pretty clear to me.

My stance is quite different in that he needs to prove that he is a required player for season 2019 and beyond.
    That's the token line though. They're not going to say in public that they're not required or treading on thin ice.

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitch needs a “qualitative sheen.” Quaint.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Its been quite clear from early days that Bevo doesn't rate Mitch Wallis. Even comes across in Flanagan's book when he refers to post game notes about Wally. Seems to be at some risk of not being able to turn Bevo's view on him around in time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Mitch needs a “qualitative sheen.” Quaint.
    I know what a matt finish is. What on earth is a qualitative sheen?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

10. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Its been quite clear from early days that Bevo doesn't rate Mitch Wallis. Even comes across in Flanagan's book when he refers to post game notes about Wally. Seems to be at some risk of not being able to turn Bevo's view on him around in time.
    Can you provide some insight into this? I haven't read Flanagan's book as yet.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Can you provide some insight into this? I haven't read Flanagan's book as yet.
    There is a reference to Bevo's post match notes about having had a strong talk with Mitch about some elements in his game that he would to address if he was going to become the player they needed him to be, including saying 'we will support him through this'. I would have to go back to the book for a more detailed description, but it appeared to be more than the 'has to go back to the VFL to work on x in his game' - it seemed a broader observation about Mitch the player, and whether he was going to be able to play the way Bevo needed him to play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    There is a reference to Bevo's post match notes about having had a strong talk with Mitch about some elements in his game that he would to address if he was going to become the player they needed him to be, including saying 'we will support him through this'. I would have to go back to the book for a more detailed description, but it appeared to be more than the 'has to go back to the VFL to work on x in his game' - it seemed a broader observation about Mitch the player, and whether he was going to be able to play the way Bevo needed him to play.
    Lets face it, if we want to be truthful, it is hard to see what Mitch brings to the team. He is very good in and under, but he just can't spread quickly due to lack of pace. I am not sure what his best position is.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets face it, if we want to be truthful, it is hard to see what Mitch brings to the team. He is very good in and under, but he just can't spread quickly due to lack of pace. I am not sure what his best position is.
    Well someone has to get the thing BAD. Mitch has proven in the past that at his very best he can score, and not every mid does that so while we bemoan his lack of pace he offsets this with genetic football smarts and working hard to get the right spots. I'm sure he'll be back soon.

What I would like to know is why is this keeping Mitch out of the team? He is good enough to be able to contribute in other ways while working on this - I think we need him now. Bailey Dale, Mitch Honeychurch, Lukas Webb, Caleb Daniel, HAYDEN CROZIER and now Roarke Smith all have serious deficiencies in their games. Why do they get repeated game time while simultaneously relegating one of our more consistent performers and favourite sons to the VFL?

Another paradox in a growing Western Bulldogs Universe.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

15. Likes bornadog, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Off the top of my head I can think of three games that if Mitch wasn't playing in we would have list. For instance it was his determination to put his head over the ball and his quick hands that got the ball moving just in time v the Swans up in Sydney in 2015. Nobody in our team but Mitch Wallis could have held the pack up and stopped that footy then have it going the other way all in the same motion. I can't see what he's doing running around in the twos. The only reasons I can come up with sound a little bit insane.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty simple. He's an inside mid, why try to turn him in to something he's not and use him for his strengths?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I know what a matt finish is. What on earth is a qualitative sheen?
    It’s a Bevo-ism for sure. He has this way of slightly mangling the language.

In relation to Mitch’s continued non-selection I am perplexed. I thought he’d been consistent and had kicked some crunch goals. I don’t understand what’s going on with selections at all. If the match committee are really seeing strengths/deficiencies justifying selection/non-selections it would be good if we could be brought into the loop, as this year’s decisions are beyond confusing.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic