Thanks Thanks:  47
Likes Likes:  202
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Future sponsorship?

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    There was an advert on TV showing the players in the dressing room after training all standing around a newly installed heater. I reckon that Geoff Jennings and Kelvin Templeton got speaking parts. I can only remember seeing it a couple of times.
    Was it as bad as this one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    While we’re on the subject, something I’ve always wanted to know is what on earth was up with our jumper sponsors in 2002? Seemed like we had a different one each week.
    Is that the year we appeared on the Footy Show cap in hand appealling to be sponsored?

We trotted out Nathan Brown and Darcy from memory begging for a sponsor.

Wasn't a high water mark.

Might've been post Vodafone ending in 2001 and we couldn't get anyone.

I think Eddie was trying to help but I'm not sure we needed the prime time humiliation in hindsight.

3. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Is that the year we appeared on the Footy Show cap in hand appealling to be sponsored?

We trotted out Nathan Brown and Darcy from memory begging for a sponsor.

Wasn't a high water mark.

Might've been post Vodafone ending in 2001 and we couldn't get anyone.

I think Eddie was trying to help but I'm not sure we needed the prime time humiliation in hindsight.
    I think that is roughly correct. We didn't have a major sponsor in between Vodafone and Leaseplan so sold the jumper off on a weekly basis that year.

5. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    We didn't have a major sponsor in between Vodafone and Leaseplan so sold the jumper off on a weekly basis that year.
    This is correct. Years later, an Essendon supporter on BigFooty recalled all the 2002 weekly sponsors as these:

PS Clayton's Kitchens
    1 Bob Jane T-Marts
    2 Mazda
    3 Barter Card
    4 Barter Card
    5 LeasePlan
    6 LeasePlan
    7 Yellow Pages
    8 Yellow Pages
    9 Australian Unity
    10 BenQ
    11 Lawson Lodge
    12 Work Safe
    13 LeasePlan
    14 LeasePlan
    15 Burbank Homes
    16 BenQ
    17 Mazda
    18 LeasePlan
    19 LeasePlan
    20 BenQ
    21 BenQ
    22 BenQ

7. Thanks Happy Days, Grantysghost, jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Elon's workflow loop :

Buy => Endorse => Sell => Discredit
    It has been the way to manipulate markets since forever.

Rene Rivkin had it down to a fine art.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

9. Likes Grantysghost, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    This is correct. Years later, an Essendon supporter on BigFooty recalled all the 2002 weekly sponsors as these:

PS Clayton's Kitchens
    1 Bob Jane T-Marts
    2 Mazda
    3 Barter Card
    4 Barter Card
    5 LeasePlan
    6 LeasePlan
    7 Yellow Pages
    8 Yellow Pages
    9 Australian Unity
    10 BenQ
    11 Lawson Lodge
    12 Work Safe
    13 LeasePlan
    14 LeasePlan
    15 Burbank Homes
    16 BenQ
    17 Mazda
    18 LeasePlan
    19 LeasePlan
    20 BenQ
    21 BenQ
    22 BenQ
    I've got a match worn Ryan Hargrave #33 with a Yellow Pages logo. Ticks a few boxes for rarity, that one!

11. Likes Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I've got a match worn Ryan Hargrave #33 with a Yellow Pages logo. Ticks a few boxes for rarity, that one!
    We won in it that's pretty rare for the early 2000s!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Not meaning to divert the discussion but I feel I can contribute a bit here.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I get what you are saying but the difference for me is the companies you can invest in via Commsec pay taxes

This from the ATO a while back which is why I've never looked closely at it as an investment.
    Cryptocurrency has been “used to move funds within the black economy, hide money offshore and is sometimes linked to risks with unexplained wealth and undeclared taxable capital gains”
    A common misconception with blockchain-based assets is to think of them as a new asset class. They are not. The only difference between blockchain-based assets and traditional assets (shares, bonds, fiat, titles) is the medium of storage.

Traditional assets are stored on proprietary or government databases, and any transactions between these institutions need to be ratified by all parties involved. If you're an ANZ customer wanting to send money to a Commbank customer friend, ANZ needs to first verify that the person requesting to transfer money is in fact you, after which time they need to reduce the number of Australian dollars next to your name in their database as well as inform Commbank to change their database to show an increase in your friend's holdings.

A blockchain at its core is simply a database that's open for anyone to use. Anyone can store, send and receive value on a blockchain securely, but can only send money on accounts for which they have the password. In the example above, ANZ and Commbank could both use the same blockchain (database) to secure their customers' Australian dollars, subverting the need to a) trust each other to make the appropriate changes to their respective private databases and b) communicate the change.

In fact, the RBA has been researching into the possibility of issuing AUD on a clone of the Ethereum blockchain (Ethereum is the largest, most widely used blockchain globally):

https://www.afr.com/companies/financ...0210419-p57kfo

Many of the 'cryptocurrencies' that are traded are indeed without any fundamental value. Trading these is in my view worse than throwing money down at a roulette table. Often you're trading against wealthy market manipulators who have a much better grasp of how markets move than you do. They will take your money in the long run.

BUT through the mire can be found tokens (assets) with genuine fundamental value. Most of these function like equities, and unlike many tech equities they actually pay dividends.

Blockchains are still in the process of scaling up their transaction bandwidth to be able to cope with global demand. There are a few around today that can process similar numbers of transactions per second to VISA, but they do not yet have wide usage. There will come a time when it makes sense for institutions to use blockchains, and when that happens many people will use them and own cryptocurrencies without even realising it.

Blockchain tech is almost impossible to tamper with so it is trusted to manage the data in the blocks (unit of data).

For crypto like Bitcoin, much like a bank is trusted in our society to record transactions (the ledger of transactions, eg you transferred 20 bucks to the Bulldogs for a scarf) , the block chain is trusted to maintain the ledger for bitcoin transactions, and without going into detail you can't tamper with it and its decentralised across the network (no one person has the power).

Where the environmental issue comes in is to process a block in the chain you use compute resources (think your CPU in your PC, it's called mining) to solve a complex puzzle the network provides as an entry fee; the reward for getting it right is you become the banker (process the transaction) and you receive bitcoin.

So the more processing power you have (think clusters of computers joined together all working on this puzzle to get coins) the more chance of solving the puzzle and being rewarded, and the more energy you need. If your energy is derived from fossil fuels then there's your issue.

They estimate bitcoin mining uses more power than some small countries.

But it's essential to "power" the network and process the transactions and it gets increasingly harder as the network tries to control the rate of bitcoin creation (it's finite).

Hope that makes sense?
    What Grantysghost has described is called Proof of Work consensus.

It's used to decide who is permitted to change entries on the blockchain (database), and to make sure that anyone given this right has skin in the game. The miner who solves the complex puzzle has by that time spent thousands on computer hardware and energy costs. If they attempt to add false transactions to the database (say, credit themselves with all of the Bitcoin), the network (everyone else) will invalidate the information they have provided, and the miner won't be rewarded with any Bitcoin. Because they have gone and spent thousands of dollars on electricity and hardware, they have a strong incentive to provide a truthful account of new transactions as requested by the network. Unfortunately it consumes a lot of energy to run this protocol.

There is a new consensus protocol called Proof of Stake being rolled out by the Ethereum foundation and already running on many other blockchains in various forms. It works in the same way to make sure that anyone updating the blockchain has skin in the game, but does so simply by requiring the miner to stake money on the truthfulness of the information they're changing. This does away with unnecessary energy usage.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

14. Likes Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The scale required to profitably mine BTC now is mind boggling. China looking to ban all mining pushing groups into other places like Mongolia. In the US firms have procured old power stations just to mine Bitcoin!

————
    The combination of bitcoin's high price and its tremendous energy demand has pushed miners to take extreme positions. Miners in China have flocked to provinces such as Inner Mongolia, where cheap coal power makes mining more profitable. The scale of these facilities reflects how much money investors have sunk into the projects. At least one mining facility in Inner Mongolia draws more than 50 MW. Similarly large operations are popping up in the US, too. In upstate New York, a private equity firm bought and revamped an abandoned power plant just to mine bitcoin. When its data centers are completed, mining will consume 79 percent of the power plant's capacity, or 85 MW. China's warning to bitcoin miners is certain to push many operations out of the country. At least one bitcoin observer said that he anticipates miners pushed out of China will set up operations in Mongolia, Kazakhstan, and Afghanistan.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/...elcome-coinjar

So it turns out that Melbourne announced its own crypto partnership with Coinjar six days ago (two days before we announced CoinSpot).

Seems coincidental, I wonder if one mob heard the other was going to sponsor a team and the other quickly moved to do the same?

17. Likes Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/...elcome-coinjar

So it turns out that Melbourne announced its own crypto partnership with Coinjar six days ago (two days before we announced CoinSpot).

Seems coincidental, I wonder if one mob heard the other was going to sponsor a team and the other quickly moved to do the same?
    FTX, a larger Hong-Kong based exchange, sponsored the Miami Heat with a contract worth $135m a couple of months ago. That's where they would have both got the idea I would imagine.

Not sure if anyone knows about NBA Top Shots but they are like digital collectible cards, in the form of video moments from NBA games.

https://nbatopshot.com/

They've seen a lot of attention this last year. Many top shots have sold for thousands of dollars. Now it looks like they're formatting a fantasy competition around the top shots. Not dissimilar to teamcoach but entirely online, running on the Flow blockchain.

Sports media online licensing is just getting started (love it or hate it). It's only a matter of time before the AFL go down the same road. Coinspot and Coinjar know this, and maybe the Dogs and the Dees know it as well.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

19. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    I choose not to invest my hard earned money in Crypto Currency, but I don't think this is a gambling sponsor or something that can be seen to be unethical. There are true believers that is a legitimate way to store wealth and trade for goods into the future.

This is a legitimate enterprise. They had revenue of $1.1B US Dollars in 2020 and employee more than 1,000 people. The company is publicly traded on the NASDAQ and has a market capitlisation of 47B dollars. Coinbase is valued higher than Woolworths, Rio Tinto, Telstra, Wesfarmers (Bunnings) etc. There are only seven companies listed on the Australian Stock Exchange that are larger than Coinbase!
    Coinbase or CoinSpot?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Nick Truelson our Chief Commercial Officer has just been appointed CEO of Melbourne United (NBL).

Nick has been CCO for over 10 years and overseen some pretty impressive sponsorship deals. Good luck to him and hopefully we find a great replacement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Nick Truelson our Chief Commercial Officer has just been appointed CEO of Melbourne United (NBL).

Nick has been CCO for over 10 years and overseen some pretty impressive sponsorship deals. Good luck to him and hopefully we find a great replacement.

Is he Hayden Crozier's cousin?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Is he Hayden Crozier's cousin?
    Yes he is
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

24. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post