Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dahl’s obscure record

Dahl’s obscure record

The game is littered with stats these days. But there’s stats and then there’s stats.

While possessions, marks and tackles are important and easy to talk about, what about the more obscure stats? Have you ever wondered who’s had the most footy-card style balks in a game? What about crumbs, or marks fumbled?

Oh yes, there’s a stat for everything, and thanks to the research abilities of Freedom in a Cage podcast co-host Adi Brown, the answers are here. (In order it’s Marc Murphy, Dayne Zorko and Cam McCarthy if you’re wondering).

But what obscure records do Bulldogs players hold?

If you were watching the Dogs take on North Melbourne in Round 4 last season, you may not realise it, but you were indeed witnessing history.

While the Dogs won by three points, it could have been much more if Luke Dahlhaus’s work upfield had been rewarded more often, for on that night Dahlhaus recorded the highest ever total for ‘behind assists’.

That is, assists that end up as behinds, and on this night, he had eight.

“That's a great stat,” co-host Bob Murphy said. “See, he's done a really good job there and they've kicked a point.”

“That's like bittersweet that one, his teammates let him down. That's like six wickets where the slips dropped the catch.”

In other oddities, Wayde Skipper holds the record for most ‘ball up hitouts sharked’ (8), Scott West had the most ever ‘blocks’ in a game (8) and Luke Darcy’s 10 ‘ruck hard-ball gets’ in Round 3, 2002 against West Coast is also a record.

Episode 8 of Freedom in a Cage, featuring Sam Power, the Bulldogs General Manager of List and Recruiting, is available Thursday.

2. Thanks Dancin' Douggy thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dahl’s obscure record

I love obscure stats.

I couldn't help but chuckle at the Wayde Skipper one.

I was at a pre-season game against Brisbane many years ago with Twodogs amongst other BF/WOOFers. We got absolutely pantsed and TD was the first to walk out, about 5 minutes into the last.

My tipping point was when Skipper climbed high and finally won a centre tap out, only to tap it straight down the throat of the opposition ruckman, which led to a Brisbane goal. I declared "That's me done for the night" and headed home.

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to recall a young Brian Harris now Lake setting a record on a very obscure stat, the uncontested spoil.
    4 times in a game he elected to punch the ball from a marking contest when no opposition player was contesting the mark.

That obscure stat might have got better focus if Frawleys Golden Fist award was around in those days.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes Dancin' Douggy, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I love obscure stats.

I couldn't help but chuckle at the Wayde Skipper one.

I was at a pre-season game against Brisbane many years ago with Twodogs amongst other BF/WOOFers. We got absolutely pantsed and TD was the first to walk out, about 5 minutes into the last.

My tipping point was when Skipper climbed high and finally won a centre tap out, only to tap it straight down the throat of the opposition ruckman, which led to a Brisbane goal. I declared "That's me done for the night" and headed home.
    Yep I remember that. To be fair I don't think it was Skipper that finally drove me out. I think I said I'd walk out if one of the Brisbane players kicked a goal (I think it was Richard Hadlee) and he did. Skipper had driven me 9/10ths of the way.

On obscure records I always thought that Templeton and Dunstan had the best two man score with the 22 they got between them but I found out last year that Bob Pratt and Laurie Nash kicked 24 between them. So I was wrorrrrrr. I was wroooo.. I was that one that you are when you aren't right.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I’d like a stat for the most self indulgent bounces. You know that extra bounce you take because you can, but the bounce chews up all the time and space and screws up everyone’s leads and all your run and carry turns into a feeble kick to
    No one in particular. But by God what a glorious bounce. I believe Nathan Eagleton would be one of the outstanding candidates for this stat, but he’s far from alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I’d like a stat for the most self indulgent bounces. You know that extra bounce you take because you can, but the bounce chews up all the time and space and screws up everyone’s leads and all your run and carry turns into a feeble kick to
    No one in particular. But by God what a glorious bounce. I believe Nathan Eagleton would be one of the outstanding candidates for this stat, but he’s far from alone.
    Just for shits and giggles I looked up the players with the highest average bounces per game:

1) Adam Saad 4.39 pg
    2) Heath Shaw 3.29
    3) David Rodan 3.06
    4) Rhyce Shaw 2.92
    5) Brett Peake/Chris Yarran 2.86

I reckon all five fit your profile nicely.

As does Farren Ray, who across his 75 games for us averaged 3.12 bounces per game.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for shits and giggles I looked up the players with the highest average bounces per game:

1) Adam Saad 4.39 pg
    2) Heath Shaw 3.29
    3) David Rodan 3.06
    4) Rhyce Shaw 2.92
    5) Brett Peake/Chris Yarran 2.86

I reckon all five fit your profile nicely.

As does Farren Ray, who across his 75 games for us averaged 3.12 bounces per game.
    Faz was one of those experimental bouncers. I used to watch him run and bounce through my fingers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Faz was one of those experimental bouncers. I used to watch him run and bounce through my fingers.
    He was able to bounce the ball through your fingers and continue running? That's a fair effort.

11. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Darcy's 10 Ruck Hard Ball Get's in a single game is a fair effort. A fraction undersized for a Ruckman but what a competitor he was. A bit underrated these days, still the only Bulldog ever to be voted AFL MVP by his peers (since the award was created in the 80s).

Post Thanks / Like

In other oddities, Wayde Skipper holds the record for most ‘ball up hitouts sharked’ (8)
    I was watching the replay of the Brisbane game last night and I'm sure the commentators mentioned at one stage Stef Martin had 12 taps to advantage and 13 taps sharked by us.

None of our ruckman are in danger of breaking Skipper's record any time soon as they don't get their hand to the ball enough to tap it to the opposition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I was watching the replay of the Brisbane game last night and I'm sure the commentators mentioned at one stage Stef Martin had 12 taps to advantage and 13 taps sharked by us.

None of our ruckman are in danger of breaking Skipper's record any time soon as they don't get their hand to the ball enough to tap it to the opposition.
    I think Skipper holds the record as the sharker rather than the sharkee. Admittedly the stat title is ambiguous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I think Skipper holds the record as the sharker rather than the sharkee. Admittedly the stat title is ambiguous.
    Right. So did he keep not jumping in the ruck contest and the opposition ruckman kept tapping it to him? I know ruckman often aren't the brightest but surely after a couple of times the other ruckman would wake up to his tactic!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Johnno had about 4 bounces in 15m once, when he was concussed after a hit. He fell over with the ball in hand and had to be helped off the field.

One of my highlights of the Rhode era was playing against a Freo in a near-empty Etihad stadium, Peter Street took (I think his only career) bounce and everyone there erupted like he'd kicked goal of the year!
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Johnno had about 4 bounces in 15m once, when he was concussed after a hit. He fell over with the ball in hand and had to be helped off the field.

One of my highlights of the Rhode era was playing against a Freo in a near-empty Etihad stadium, Peter Street took (I think his only career) bounce and everyone there erupted like he'd kicked goal of the year!

Was that when we booed them off at half time even though we were in front?

That was the day I heard one of the trainers call Ben Harrison a flog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That was the day I heard one of the trainers call Ben Harrison a flog.
    Seriously? Do you know what was behind that?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers