Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  201
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs Rory Lobb

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm a bit with you here. I want him to hit the scoreboard consistently, be strong when relieving in the ruck, but also get off the chain from time to time when we need him to if JUH and Naughton aren't contributing how we'd like.

He's an experienced and talented player who if he works hard can deliver good results.
    He's had a terrific preseason as well and it's a shame that the injury he copped was right before round one.
    I don't think we should be lowering expectations on him. He was brought in to play alongside of Naugthon and if Bruce can get 48 goals in a season doing that role as well as helping in the ruck from time to time Lobb has to be able to get 30+.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes derb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just playing through the trade. Right now we are offering up Pick 30 (2022) & 31 (2023 currently).

In 2021 we did a live trade with North to get Pick 39 for our 3rd.
    In 2022 we traded two late 3rds for a 2nd, circa 35-38.

If you accept the minor downgraded of 30-to-39 last year and then say 31-to-35-38 this year. Then these very minor downgrades and 3 x Late Third Rounders secured Lobb. Say Picks 46, 47 & 53 and the minor downgrades (still keeping picks in the mid-high 30?s). Equal to about Pick 20 in Draft Points spread over two years (getting Rory last off season).

So we have a genuine second ruck, tall target letting Marra break out, also kicking over a goal a game so far, for three late draft picks (if not for shrewd trading by Sam Power). From this perspective, it?s a very reasonable cost.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Having him in the team is clearly helping Timmy and it?s increasingly helpful to our other tall forwards, which is helping us win. We finally have balance and we?re playing better for it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes josie, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting use of him again yesterday.

He was at stoppages, about 5 meters off the initial contest almost at every bounce. Playing a sweeper sort of role.

Threw out the big pincers a few times to intercept the scrappy ball out of the stoppage and was a decent physical presence in the clinches.

Keeps finding the goals more weeks than not, which is a great sign.

8. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I get the balance that he brings us but he hasn't measured up to my expectations of him so far.
    He's poor at taking overhead marks and while his ruck work is a a bit of an upgrade on some of our makeshift options of the past it's not as effective as I hoped.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I was just playing through the trade. Right now we are offering up Pick 30 (2022) & 31 (2023 currently).

In 2021 we did a live trade with North to get Pick 39 for our 3rd.
    In 2022 we traded two late 3rds for a 2nd, circa 35-38.

If you accept the minor downgraded of 30-to-39 last year and then say 31-to-35-38 this year. Then these very minor downgrades and 3 x Late Third Rounders secured Lobb. Say Picks 46, 47 & 53 and the minor downgrades (still keeping picks in the mid-high 30?s). Equal to about Pick 20 in Draft Points spread over two years (getting Rory last off season).

So we have a genuine second ruck, tall target letting Marra break out, also kicking over a goal a game so far, for three late draft picks (if not for shrewd trading by Sam Power). From this perspective, it?s a very reasonable cost.
    Wha?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Wha?
    Put another way. If Sam Power didn’t do smart trades with North & Brisbane, we would’ve had picks 48 (2022), (currently) 49 & 50 to try to secure Lobb.

Sam turned them into 39 & 33-36. Which meant in 2022 & 2023 we had two picks each year in the 30-40 range. Which allowed us to trade one from both years whilst maintaining draft order presence.

So we downgraded our first picks here effectively from 30 to 39, and say 31 to 34. Small shuffle.

So we’ve kept presence in 2022 & 2023 in the 30-40 pick range ourselves, by turning what was say 48, 49 & 50 into the Picks 39 & 34 for us to secure Lobb with 30 & 31.

Basically, you could argue we got Lobb for a slight shuffle down the order and ‘natural’ picks say 48, 49 & 50. It’s just that Sam Power managed to turn them into two picks in the 30’s to cover Freo ‘S demands without sacrificing our presence in that draft order range.

Clear as mud?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do like what we're doing with pushing Lobb further up the wings, our forward line was initially just too crowded with all three tall options there but now we've got more balance. Lobb is also hitting the scoreboard which is just a bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    I do like what we're doing with pushing Lobb further up the wings, our forward line was initially just too crowded with all three tall options there but now we've got more balance. Lobb is also hitting the scoreboard which is just a bonus.
    What impressed me most about his game on the weekend was his tackling. 6 Tackles for the game, one behind Bailey Smith, and he had no hesitation throwing his weight around. For a big man, this was very impressive.
    WOOF Member 422

15. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lobb's form cannot be judged solely on his own personal output. His arrival has coincided with massive improvement in output and especially impact from Tim English, and this is precisely what we have desperately lacked for the previous 4 years (save for a 6 week run from Stef Martin before his body failed him).
    Last edited by Sedat; 22-05-2023 at 05:04 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

From Melbourne, to London and now Perth WA
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Lobb's form cannot be judged solely on his own personal output. His arrival has coincided with massive improvement in output and especially impact from Tim English, and this is precisely what we have desperately lack for the previous 4 years (save for a 6 week run from Stef Martin before his body failed him).
    Side note, is Stef Martin still coaching at the club? Dont recall seeing at all since some pre-season pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Sanchez View Post
    Side note, is Stef Martin still coaching at the club? Dont recall seeing at all since some pre-season pics.
    Yes, he's one of the development coaches reporting to Stewart Edge and he's also an assistant coach of Footscray.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Lobb's form cannot be judged solely on his own personal output. His arrival has coincided with massive improvement in output and especially impact from Tim English, and this is precisely what we have desperately lack for the previous 4 years (save for a 6 week run from Stef Martin before his body failed him).
    I understand the role of a structure player isn't purely measured on their output but I'm not seeing the real value in Lobb at the moment mainly because he doesn't seem to be able to hold enough high marks like I thought he could. I remain hopeful that some things start to click for him and his output improves.

20. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To adequeatly judge if he has been a good get so far, I would want to know how much we are paying him.

If he is taking 'role player' money, great.

If he is taking star player money, he is going below par.

22. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    To adequeatly judge if he has been a good get so far, I would want to know how much we are paying him.

If he is taking 'role player' money, great.

If he is taking star player money, he is going below par.
    From the sounds of things he's somewhere between the two.

He was on star player money at Freo and he IIRC extended his contract at the Dogs so it's less money per year over an extra year.