Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  32
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: West Coast set to launch an ‘all-out’ trade assault for a star ruck ... and it has a ‘Plan B’

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    This trade period could force us to re-balance the list in spite of ourselves. We are quite possibly losing English, Dunkley and maybe even Bazlenka.

My preference is to keep Timmy and Baz but if we do lose them, we simply MUST bring in 1 mature ready to go ruck (Pittonet/Flynn type level is ok), a viable 2nd ruck type, a first choice KPD and a best 18 forward with goal kicking credentials.

Losing Timmy would be a gut punch though.
    I think we keep Baz and Dunkley, but lose a 'next tier' type to do it (Williams) and 1-2 players starved of opportunity (e.g. West).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: West Coast set to launch an ‘all-out’ trade assault for a star ruck ... and it has a ‘Plan B’

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I think we keep Baz and Dunkley, but lose a 'next tier' type to do it (Williams) and 1-2 players starved of opportunity (e.g. West).
    I'm fine with that.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

How do West Coast get the pick(s) to satisfy us if an English trade did eventuate?

Currently it looks like they will have pick 1 or 2, which teams traditionally are very hesitant to touch. They need a complete re-build, surely they would be nuts to trade away a top 2 pick?

Not sure they have a lot of capital to trade for the required pick(s) either? Maybe McGovern? Not sure Gaff is worth enough anymore? Kelly is young enough but has been mediocre at West Coast and I assume he doesn't want to leave WA.

Lastly, English is reportedly happy in Melbourne, would he really want to go to a team at the beginning of rebuild that looks many years away from contending again?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Lastly, English is reportedly happy in Melbourne, would he really want to go to a team at the beginning of rebuild that looks many years away from contending again?
    He's not exactly from 'PERTH' either...

I get that he could drive down south to visit the fam but we're talking a 7 1/2 hour return trip...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

6. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I get that he could drive down south to visit the fam but we're talking a 7 1/2 hour return trip...
    I heard him interviewed early doors too and he went to a boarding school so was away from family living alone for a good while as a youngster.
    Think he recently just moved out from the house he Naughton and Lipinski shared.

Post Thanks / Like

Hamling wasn't from Perth and Harbrow wasn't from the Gold Coast either...

There doesn't seem to have been any rumblings that he is especially keen to get back to WA though, so you would think it would be more about the deal if he was to request a trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah-I reckon that’s what club would be planning for. Looks like Caleb will sign up again. I think we must sign Bailey Dale too. He is AA form again and one of the best if not the best long, clever kicks in the game.

X fingers we keep English.

10. Likes Rocco Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Hamling wasn't from Perth and Harbrow wasn't from the Gold Coast either...
    Hammer's Dad was in hospital in Perth...Joel is from Broome though (a 2 1/2 day DRIVE from Perth).

My point is that everyone seems to assume that people want to go "HOME" - but for so many players the city they are moving too is nowhere near "HOME"...it might make things a 'bit' easier but it's not like they can pop around to Mum's place for dinner after training once a week.

In the main, players move clubs because a new club offers to pay them more OR offers them more game time. And that's where the conversation ends.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

12. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hammer's Dad was in hospital in Perth...Joel is from Broome though (a 2 1/2 day DRIVE from Perth).

My point is that everyone seems to assume that people want to go "HOME" - but for so many players the city they are moving too is nowhere near "HOME"...it might make things a 'bit' easier but it's not like they can pop around to Mum's place for dinner after training once a week.

In the main, players move clubs because a new club offers to pay them more OR offers them more game time. And that's where the conversation ends.
    Totally agree.

It was like when Harbrow moved to Brisbane, apparently closer to home - Cairns. However, Harbrow also has family in Mooroopna (near Shepperton Victoria)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'm familiar with Hamling's story, I was agreeing with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully this is right

"My mail is that the Bulldogs are quietly confident he will remain at the kennel."

@StevoMedia
    says Tim English is likely to resist offers to relocate to WA next season
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

West cannot be on much more than a draftee, and if he is thats very irresponsible list management, so no real saving there. Williams might be on an ok contract, but is be surprised if his contract covered the increase in Smith and Dunkleys wages, let alone English as well.

Of the fringe guys who we could save money to cut I'd imagine only Crozier, Schache (might be around $300k), Mclean (same as Schache), the aforementioned Williams and JJ (who i am unsure on) would be candidates. The rest of the list would be on very low wages or an important player on good wages.

Realistically we are going to need to cut someone of substance if we want to free up cash, there aren't really any easy outs.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

17. Likes The Underdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

JJ is on a pretty big contract IIRC. Would get some currency. Is he worth keeping?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

If English wanted to go and we could manufacture a deal which say us getting 2 first round picks (happy if that is split over 2 years) then I would consider. It would be a big loss and we would be a poorer team net year for it, but snaring a couple of gun youngsters would start the build for our next tilt.

AS for the discussion re our list, I think any guy 25 y/o and over who is not regularly pushing for selection is in the gun for a trade/delisting. This is prime for a footballer and if they have been on a list for 7 or 8 years and still haven't nailed down a spot or have lost their spot in the team then you have to question why they are on the list or whether they should be on the list next year. For us that is guys like Crozier, Schache, JJ (depending on how he comes back), McLean (depending on how he comes back from his 2nd knee), Bruce (depending on how he comes back from his knee), Sweet, Martyn. There is a reasonable amount of coin there that could be pumped into the better players on the list and also make some room for younger guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    If English wanted to go and we could manufacture a deal which say us getting 2 first round picks (happy if that is split over 2 years) then I would consider. It would be a big loss and we would be a poorer team net year for it, but snaring a couple of gun youngsters would start the build for our next tilt.

AS for the discussion re our list, I think any guy 25 y/o and over who is not regularly pushing for selection is in the gun for a trade/delisting. This is prime for a footballer and if they have been on a list for 7 or 8 years and still haven't nailed down a spot or have lost their spot in the team then you have to question why they are on the list or whether they should be on the list next year. For us that is guys like Crozier, Schache, JJ (depending on how he comes back), McLean (depending on how he comes back from his 2nd knee), Bruce (depending on how he comes back from his knee), Sweet, Martyn. There is a reasonable amount of coin there that could be pumped into the better players on the list and also make some room for younger guys.
    I’d be against trading any of our top, say, 10 players at all. We’re in the window and we need a strong ruck division or we just waste more of Bont, Macrae, Naughton, etc. Not the time to trade English out

21. Likes bornadog liked this post