Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  54
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gerard whateley delivers honest assessment of the bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    There’s never a middle ground in this world is there? The pendulum effect seems to be unbreakable.
    No one has suggested burning down the club, but some choose to see any criticism from the most extreme POV possible.

We could just keep doing what we’ve been doing the past 4 years and peak at 7th/8th on the ladder. That’s worked out well for North Melbourne this decade.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    No one has suggested burning down the club, but some choose to see any criticism from the most extreme POV possible.

We could just keep doing what we’ve been doing the past 4 years and peak at 7th/8th on the ladder. That’s worked out well for North Melbourne this decade.
    Comrade, you know what your saying won't happen. How about some realistic suggestions that we can discuss. No one is happy losing finals and we all want the club to do better.

We have limited draft picks and we need to get JUH to the club, so wholesale changes is difficult.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol let’s find a gun ruck, key defender and small forward and everything will be solved. Someone email the club.
    Yes, because that's what my post was implying...…..

What I'm saying is they're our priorities, and that it's going to be tough to get players who fit the bill and will materially impact our performance next year. But, we should also look for anyone who can improve us incrementally or otherwise as well.

As an extension to that I think if we do scrap the game plan like you suggested if we can't get in players who can help us bring another game plan online, we're going to take considerable time to adjust and be competitive.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yes, because that's what my post was implying...…..

What I'm saying is they're our priorities, and that it's going to be tough to get players who fit the bill and will materially impact our performance next year. But, we should also look for anyone who can improve us incrementally or otherwise as well.

As an extension to that I think if we do scrap the game plan like you suggested if we can't get in players who can help us bring another game plan online, we're going to take considerable time to adjust and be competitive.
    I would actually accept taking a step backwards next season if it meant developing a game plan that was better suited to standing up against quality sides, and didn’t rely on perfect conditions for us to implement effectively.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I would actually accept taking a step backwards next season if it meant developing a game plan that was better suited to standing up against quality sides, and didn’t rely on perfect conditions for us to implement effectively.
    I don't know how long it would take, my feeling is longer than a season but you never know.

Things like sticking tackles and communicating how to deal with an aerial ball in defence aren't necessarily game plan issues, they're personnel/ training issues and I think they can be resolved and wouldn't need a change in how we play to do so. Get these things right and we are immediately better.

I also think that with these things fixed we wouldn't have to play so perfectly not to be exposed, and hopefully with Naughton and Bruce having another preseason training together some chemistry will materialise in the forward line.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I know

I agree that we don’t want to tread water for years. I’d also prefer to take a step back if it meant we actually contend rather than muddle away at 6th-10th. It’s going to be difficult to bring in talent to fill our many holes but shrewd recruiting can work wonders as the saints have shown. Also, I think new game plans can be achieved relatively quickly. Look what happened with us in 2015 under Bevo and even the saints this year under Ratten.

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I don’t like our makeup in the forward line, I actually think our forward issues are a result of issues further upfield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Whilst I don’t like our makeup in the forward line, I actually think our forward issues are a result of issues further upfield.
    The problem with our fwd line is it is probably the slowest in the AFL.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

11. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    It is, but our midfield is also quite slow and add to that, the majority can’t kick. So it’s extremely difficult for a forward to get clean delivery. Aside from the north game I don’t remember much clean and open delivery apart from a few Bont bullets from centre clearances. The rest are wonky kicks from the likes of Dunkley, Hunter and Macrae after a congested buildup that sees 10 defenders already parked in our 50. The resultant easy clearance leads to an easy transition goal made easier by the fact our defenders are guarding space.

13. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats part of the issue, but our ball movement and method - final kick inside 50 needs a lot of work over the summer

15. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Thats part of the issue, but our ball movement and method - final kick inside 50 needs a lot of work over the summer
    Agree 100% BR. Ball movement, method and delivery is a lot more important than speed of foot.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Agree 100% BR. Ball movement, method and delivery is a lot more important than speed of foot.
    But do we have the players with the skill set to do this?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

But do we have the players with the skill set to do this?
    We have Bont. Smith should be able to but for whatever reason his skills plummeted in the back half of this season. The problems are Hunter, Macrae and Dunkley. Our better users are at half back.

Post Thanks / Like

Bonts ball use was awful this year. Tries to kick the eyes out of the ball every time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Bonts ball use was awful this year. Tries to kick the eyes out of the ball every time.
    Yeah it wasn’t up to his usual standards. But he’s got the ability as does Smith. The other 3 I mentioned just don’t have it. Carrying 1 like say Dunkley is fine, but having to carry 3 guys who get lots of the ball makes it hard to get clean use going inside 50. No wonder we got rid of Dahl.