Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  54
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gerard whateley delivers honest assessment of the bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think the issue is more conversion than anything. We are 4th in the AFL for marks inside 50, just above Saints, so we are hitting targets alot of the time. On Saturday, Wally missed two gettables, Hunter hit the post and Smith missed one from 20 metres out dead in front. Having said that we had 742 inside 50s for 169 marks and 168 goals, 159 behinds. The leader was Richmond with 842 inside 50s for 180 marks but only 172 goals, 159 behinds.

One thing this season was the running patterns inside 50 between Naughton and Bruce. Naughton missed a lot of games plus their were 5 fewer H&A games which meant the two of them have not worked enough together to get some sort of rappor going.

However, it is really annoying when guys like Macrae, Lippa and a few others won't have a shot at goal and keep looking for someone closer to goal. I would rather they had a ping and missed than getting caught with the ball and resulting in a turnover and 12 point turnaround.
    It is also where we are taking our shots at goal from. I'm sure there is a stat out there which shows the likelihood of kicking a goal V kicking a point.

On the bolded bit, this is also so frustrating. So often one too many handballs and we turn it over. It is systemic through the whole F50.

The handball typically is moving forward it is going backwards.

The general rule should be, no more than one handball backwards in each passage of play.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    It is also where we are taking our shots at goal from. I'm sure there is a stat out there which shows the likelihood of kicking a goal V kicking a point.

On the bolded bit, this is also so frustrating. So often one too many handballs and we turn it over. It is systemic through the whole F50.

The handball typically is moving forward it is going backwards.

The general rule should be, no more than one handball backwards in each passage of play.
    Also other factors are the pressure being applied by the opposing team and forcing the handballs, but in general there are too many handballs.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    That was a horrendous decision from Pat.
    To be fair Macrae did the exact same thing earlier in the game to Pat, so I think it's more symptomatic of our teams approach to inside 50s than a Lipinski, who is usually good at this stuff, issue.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    To be fair Macrae did the exact same thing earlier in the game to Pat, so I think it's more symptomatic of our teams approach to inside 50s than a Lipinski, who is usually good at this stuff, issue.
    Yeah we've seen it all season. It must be a directive from the coaches to pass as much as possible to get the best % shot on goal. Unfortunately it's leading to players second guessing themselves and making the wrong decision.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the “team play” etc, but we have to have confident players if we are going to be a force. As I’ve said previously, a lot of our players are deer in headlights once they pass that 50 line. It needs to be drilled in to them to back themselves and go for the big sticks, especially running directly at goal. JJ is a good one with this. Others need to follow suit. Problem is, some can’t kick 50 so have to look at passing anyway.

The simple fact is, if opposition are going to flood, the easiest way to score is kick over it, not thru it.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Also other factors are the pressure being applied by the opposing team and forcing the handballs, but in general there are too many handballs.
    Roarke Smith had a shot on goal chance against St Kilda, but chose to handball and we fluffed it.
    Confidence?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Overall, the game plan is about playing the game on our terms at our end of the ground. More times than not, playing the percentages this way should lead to a victory. It's a team game-plan where you don't rely on individual brilliance. Thus, if there are any weaknesses they get exposed.

Point is as much as English needs help against the more physical Rucks at present, Bevo is not going to grab a guy who solely plays Ruck and that's it. Every player must be able to fill a second-role at a high level. Thus i am not sure who they would target as a second Ruck, noting Trengove should be able to do this role but was only given a game this year. (Pretty sure we would not have been able to beat Bris in Ballarat last year against Martin in the Ruck if English played).

The Ruck Rule change has made the big strong Ruckman come to the fore and we got lucky this year playing Melb and West Coke missing Gawn and Natanui respectively. I reckon in the Final Bevo should have put Bruce in the middle at half-time, like he did against the Dee's. English is dangerous up forward and they should exploit him where he is best suited when up against the Gorillas of the comp!

PS: Not sold on Goldstein. English towelled him up and he is mobile like English, just shorter.

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC View Post
    Overall, the game plan is about playing the game on our terms at our end of the ground. More times than not, playing the percentages this way should lead to a victory. It's a team game-plan where you don't rely on individual brilliance. Thus, if there are any weaknesses they get exposed.

Point is as much as English needs help against the more physical Rucks at present, Bevo is not going to grab a guy who solely plays Ruck and that's it. Every player must be able to fill a second-role at a high level. Thus i am not sure who they would target as a second Ruck, noting Trengove should be able to do this role but was only given a game this year. (Pretty sure we would not have been able to beat Bris in Ballarat last year against Martin in the Ruck if English played).

The Ruck Rule change has made the big strong Ruckman come to the fore and we got lucky this year playing Melb and West Coke missing Gawn and Natanui respectively. I reckon in the Final Bevo should have put Bruce in the middle at half-time, like he did against the Dee's. English is dangerous up forward and they should exploit him where he is best suited when up against the Gorillas of the comp!

PS: Not sold on Goldstein. English towelled him up and he is mobile like English, just shorter.
    Good assessment.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post