Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs want future Indigenous stars to call the west home

Link

The Western Bulldogs are making a concerted effort to ensure Indigenous talent call Whitten Oval home in the future after a season without an Indigenous player on their AFL list.

Club president Peter Gordon said the club now had the personnel and resources to create an environment that would meet the needs of young Indigenous people who might join the Bulldogs as an AFL or AFLW player or work at the club.

Gordon said the club was determined to remedy any disconnect between the club and Indigenous people that may have existed in the past telling club members at a forum on Tuesday part of the question the club was continually asking themselves was how they were going to attend to the needs of a young Indigenous player in the 21st century.

‘‘It seems to me it’s the right thing to do as a community and a club that embraces diversity and our indigenous history,’’ Gordon told The Age.

Former Bulldogs player Brett Goodes, the brother of former Sydney Swans champion Adam Goodes, is driving the whole-of-club approach as the club’s Indigenous Liaison Officer in an approach Gordon said was understated.

Goodes is one of 18 Indigenous players to play with the Western Bulldogs with three of the 18 – Joel Hamling, Jarrod Harbrow and Liam Jones – now at other clubs while former Bulldog Michael McLean is one of the most respected footballers in the club’s history.

‘‘We can’t solve that problem overnight and we have tried to take a multi-faceted approach to it,’’ Gordon said.

He said he was heartened by the way the club had embraced Goodes’ initiatives and the Reconciliation Action Plan released last year underpinned their approach with Belinda Duarte, who was the inaugural director of Richmond Football Club’s Korin Gamadji Institute, to officially join the club’s board at their next AGM.

‘‘Belinda has many skills and joins the board for many reasons, but one of them is that she is a proud Indigenous woman with a great track record in AFL footy,’’ Gordon said.

All-Australian Chad Wingard chose to join Hawthorn during last year’s trade period instead of the Bulldogs who were very interested in securing the former Port Adelaide forward.

Gordon told members that although he did not know what drove Wingard’s decision it was logical to suspect that the absence of Indigenous players on the Bulldogs list potentially put them ‘‘behind the eight ball’’ in securing Wingard. He said it made sense to ensure the club was not waiting for an Indigenous player to join their list to get the environment right with the club excited at the prospect of securing NGA academy member Jamarra Ugle-Hagan who the Bulldogs will have priority access to in the 2020 national draft.

‘‘We might potentially draft two or three [Indigenous players] in any particular year and they will be a part of a seachange of the history and culture of the club and will be working alongside good people like Belinda and Brett,’’ Gordon said.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Rocket Science, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs want future Indigenous stars to call the west home

Ensuring Jamarra Ugle-Hagan gets to us post AFEL NGA review should be top priority. That was meant to be the point of running an NGA to bring in indigenous/multi cultural talent.

Maybe in the trade period the Hill brothers this year fit the bill. Jack Martin wants way too much; $700,000 reportedly. Nicholls isn't worth it. Cockatoo is always injured. I don't rate Tippa highly, ditto for Shai Bolton. Cedric Cox at the right price would interest me.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Ensuring Jamarra Ugle-Hagan gets to us post AFEL NGA review should be top priority. That was meant to be the point of running an NGA to bring in indigenous/multi cultural talent.

Maybe in the trade period the Hill brothers this year fit the bill. Jack Martin wants way too much; $700,000 reportedly. Nicholls isn't worth it. Cockatoo is always injured. I don't rate Tippa highly, ditto for Shai Bolton. Cedric Cox at the right price would interest me.
    If you are referring to Tom Nicholls I don’t believe he is indigenous, his mother is Fijian.

Post Thanks / Like

We'll pick up CCP this year, hopefully an experienced indigenous player as well. If we miss out on Jack Martin I'd consider Karl Amon from Port. Outside runner and offers us pace, best 22 now so more expensive than last year but out of contract and I suspect he's gettable at the right price.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    If you are referring to Tom Nicholls I don’t believe he is indigenous, his mother is Fijian.
    I thought I read that he was indigenous. Looks like I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We'll pick up CCP this year, hopefully an experienced indigenous player as well. If we miss out on Jack Martin I'd consider Karl Amon from Port. Outside runner and offers us pace, best 22 now so more expensive than last year but out of contract and I suspect he's gettable at the right price.
    Why will we pick up CCP? Averging 15 disposals and 1.6 marks a game. What does he do that the stats don't show?

If Jack Martin's price tag in the media is right, $700,000 a season, then I hope we miss out on him. Good luck to him if he can convince a club to pay it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Why will we pick up CCP? Averging 15 disposals and 1.6 marks a game. What does he do that the stats don't show?

If Jack Martin's price tag in the media is right, $700,000 a season, then I hope we miss out on him. Good luck to him if he can convince a club to pay it.
    700k would be the high mark wouldn't it? Start high and get to where you want. Probably n x 600 where n takes him to an important contract period.

Post Thanks / Like

He's a pressure forward and I believe the club has indicated previously they are happy with his progress.

Post Thanks / Like

He's a pressure forward and I believe the club has indicated previously they are happy with his progress.
    I've been loosely following him, I thought he was an inside midfielder that only moved forward in the last few weeks. His only draft central team of the week was as an on baller. Draft central records him as playing 18 TAC/NABL games, and only kicking two goals from the 18 games. The boys we passed on last year had better numbers. But if the club is happy, then I guess that's good all round.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Martin and Amon would be players I would target as well

They could make a big difference to us
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I could live with that deal. $700k isn't the albatross it would've been even 5 years ago, and as the greatest team in world sport the New York Knicks found out today, there is no point having cap space if you don't use it on someone.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

13. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I could live with that deal. $700k isn't the albatross it would've been even 5 years ago, and as the greatest team in world sport the New York Knicks found out today, there is no point having cap space if you don't use it on someone.
    Would Martin offer more than Sam Gray from Port? I guess Martin can run through the middle but Sam would be far, far cheaper in dollars and trade cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I don't have an issue with offering big salaries. I'm just not sure Martin is worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Would Martin offer more than Sam Gray from Port? I guess Martin can run through the middle but Sam would be far, far cheaper in dollars and trade cost.
    I think he would. Sam Gray works hard but is still a bit of a front-runner and is light on for talent - he was allegedly playing in that game on the weekend in conditions that should be tailor made for him, for example. Martin's potential is still untapped, and he already does everything that Sam Gray does better than Gray does it (has 40 more tackles than Gray in 2 more games this season). Plus he's three years younger.

Martin gets a bad wrap because of the hype that surrounded his entry into the game and the team he plays for. He's a very good footballer.

Gray is pretty hard to get enthusiastic about to be honest.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I think he would offer a potential star player vs workman like option of Sam Grey
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think he would offer a potential star player vs workman like option of Sam Grey
    We need some star player types, we have enough workman options.

Martin is well and truly worth $700k plus
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.