Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

Whitten Oval redevelopment will allow AFL fans to be married at Western Bulldogs’ home ground

Whitten Oval redevelopment will allow AFL fans to be married at Western Bulldogs’ home ground

If the doghouse is where you want to start your marriage, you’ll love Western Bulldogs’ plans for Whitten Oval, which include hosting weddings in a glitzy function room.

Western Bulldogs are banking on a surge in membership and a glitzy new Whitten Oval function room to help offset the rivers of gold it gave up by selling 65 pokies machines last November.

Chief executive Ameet Bains said a multifaceted business plan to cover the loss of gaming dollars also included key sponsors reaching deeper into their pockets in support of the ethical move.

“You can’t go and replace a seven-figure income stream in an immediate sense,” Bains said.

“It’s looking at a collection of those different opportunities.

“Longer term, in the context of our redevelopment aspirations for the VU Whitten Oval, it’s looking at what other facilities we can build here that generate income revenue for us.

“Like a function room or other commercial facilities.”

That initiative will see Bulldog diehards tie the knot at the club’s spiritual home in a money-spinner for the club.

Bains said the “prudent commercial decision” to exit gaming took years of planning and was based on “strong social reasons”.

The Dogs are targeting 50,000 members for the first time. As of Wednesday, they had 37,500 signed up.

Bains also revealed the Dogs;

- Have lodged a business case with the Victorian government, seeking funding for the Whitten Oval upgrade in the May budget;
    - Wanted to extend its lucrative commitment to play two home games at Ballarat beyond 2021;

- HAVE told the AFL it is time to lock in North Melbourne’s Good Friday opponent to let the game grow like other marquee timeslots

The Whitten Oval masterplan would see capacity upgraded to 17,000-18,000 with the possibility AFL games for premiership points could return to the club for the first time since 1997.

“We completed upgrades of the AFLW match day training facilities, away rooms, umpires rooms and the new scoreboard last year,” Bains said.

“We’re currently in design phase of the next stage of giving effect to that masterplan,” Bains said.

“(State funding) is clearly a key element to being able to get the project started.”

Kangaroos legend Brent Harvey said before the inaugural Good Friday game in 2017 that the AFL should lock in the Dogs and grow the game into a blockbuster worthy of the MCG.

But the league rotated St Kilda (2018) and Essendon (2019) through the timeslot, before returning the Bulldogs this year.

The Dogs are thrilled with their 2020 fixture – which includes four Friday night games plus Good Friday – after pitching their sexy brand of football to Channel 7 boss Lewis Martin last year.

“It’s really exciting for our fans and for the broader coverage that the team will get through free-to-air,” Bains said.

“Our view (on Good Friday) is, and we’ve expressed this again, to really make it work like some of the other marquee match-ups – whether it is an Anzac Day or a Queen’s Birthday – you’re actually best-placed by giving a couple of teams the opportunity to grow it properly.

“So you know you’ve got that opportunity and when you’re building the game you’re doing it with two or three years in mind, rather than just that one game.

“That’s the message we’ve continued to push back to the AFL.”

2. Thanks bornadog, Eastdog, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whitten Oval redevelopment will allow AFL fans to be married at Western Bulldogs’ home ground

Great news. Dibs. I'll marry Marcus Bontempelli.

4. Likes bornadog, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whitten Oval redevelopment will allow AFL fans to be married at Western Bulldogs’ home ground

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Great news. Dibs. I'll marry Marcus Bontempelli.
    Interesting. You aren't considering marrying one of the AFLW players?

Don't get me wrong-Marcus is a very attractive little fella but I'd be thinking Bonnie Toogood, Lauren Spark or Amelia
    VAN Oosterwijck personally.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Bonnie Toogood would become Twodogs Toogood, she would eat you for breakfast.
    It is an attractive proposition to be married at W.O., although you'd want the stands full.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Bonnie Toogood would become Twodogs Toogood, she would eat you for breakfast.
    It is an attractive proposition to be married at W.O., although you'd want the stands full.

Very good!

And I'm telling you now. Put us 30 paces apart and then roll a footy in the middle of us and I'd beat her 9 times out of 10. My son is 6.3 and about 90 kegs (I'm 56 kegs-basically he is more then 50 % of my weight and height) and I can't recall the last time he beat me.

Post Thanks / Like

Will be great to see our ground after the whole new redevelopment. It has a bright future Whitten Oval but there are things now we have to get through first.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Very good!

And I'm telling you now. Put us 30 paces apart and then roll a footy in the middle of us and I'd beat her 9 times out of 10. My son is 6.3 and about 90 kegs (I'm 56 kegs-basically he is more then 50 % of my weight and height) and I can't recall the last time he beat me.
    Could be because last time he did he copped a Ted Whitten style clip and never made the same mistake again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Could be because last time he did he copped a Ted Whitten style clip and never made the same mistake again.
    It well may be the case.

He and I have been playing indoor soccer and European handball (I'm supposed to be playing tonight-I'm lost, I don't know what to do with all this energy?) after soccer last week (I kept, he played up front for the other mob) I said to him "we won, 5-3 I reckon" and he shot back "Yeah, you did but I drilled that one over your left shoulder!"

11. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It well may be the case.

He and I have been playing indoor soccer and European handball (I'm supposed to be playing tonight-I'm lost, I don't know what to do with all this energy?) after soccer last week (I kept, he played up front for the other mob) I said to him "we won, 5-3 I reckon" and he shot back "Yeah, you did but I drilled that one over your left shoulder!"
    Looking at playing snooker tonight instead. There is a place in Stephen street in Yarraville with all the old tables they used to have at the Yarraville Club-six foot, slate bed perfectly calibrated tournament standard tables. It's gotta be easy enough to practice social distancing when there is a snooker table between you.

I rang the guy in Stephen street to book in and he said "just rock up mate, there will be a table available. I've only just put the phone down from the call telling me that they have cancelled or postponed all of the tournaments and competitions we had slated (see what I did there?) for the next six months. You'll be fine"

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at playing snooker tonight instead. There is a place in Stephen street in Yarraville with all the old tables they used to have at the Yarraville Club-six foot, slate bed perfectly calibrated tournament standard tables. It's gotta be easy enough to practice social distancing when there is a snooker table between you.

I rang the guy in Stephen street to book in and he said "just rock up mate, there will be a table available. I've only just put the phone down from the call telling me that they have cancelled or postponed all of the tournaments and competitions we had slated (see what I did there?) for the next six months. You'll be fine"
    Another snooker fan. I like it. So much better than pool. A thinking man's game Td. Better still billiards. Love them both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Another snooker fan. I like it. So much better than pool. A thinking man's game Td. Better still billiards. Love them both.
    As I grew up my old man had a snooker table. Slip a piece of wood that dad had built over the top and it also did a fair bit of service as a table tennis table too.

He was a competitive old bastard and there was nothing more he liked than a slam down on the table tennis table. I can still hear him baiting me. "Have a look at this one-thinks he's soooo good. Reckons he's gonna beat his old man"

15. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As I grew up my old man had a snooker table. Slip a piece of wood that dad had built over the top and it also did a fair bit of service as a table tennis table too.

He was a competitive old bastard and there was nothing more he liked than a slam down on the table tennis table. I can still hear him baiting me. "Have a look at this one-thinks he's soooo good. Reckons he's gonna beat his old man"
    Do you do that to your son?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Do you do that to your son?

What do you think?

It well may be the case.

Very good!

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post