Thanks Thanks:  75
Likes Likes:  485
Page 100 of 108 FirstFirst ... 5090919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108 LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 1617
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 AFL -Trade Rumours and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    And when you don't receive it what do you do?
    I agree with Hujsh...hold them to their contract, just as Geel did to Kelly. We won’t deal unless the deal is good for us.
    Put it back onto the player...if you want out so badly you’ll go to the club that gives us the best deal, and if a deal can’t be reached, so be it.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Doubtful since it's Hawthorn's 3rd rounder and not the Suns. Every possibility it's a pick in the 50s especially after FA compo
    Are we sure its Hawks? Gee I hope not..If it is, then that is more likely to be of almost no value being closer to a 4th rounder.
    The AFL website also says

The Lions gave up No.32 in this year's NAB AFL Draft, as well as a third-round selection for 2019, which is tied to Gold Coast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Are we sure its Hawks? Gee I hope not..If it is, then that is more likely to be of almost no value being closer to a 4th rounder.
    The AFL website also says

The Lions gave up No.32 in this year's NAB AFL Draft, as well as a third-round selection for 2019, which is tied to Gold Coast.
    That pick went from the Hawks to GC to Lions to us. Its definitely tied to Hawthorn.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'm team "hold them to their contract" too. Brisbane clearly valued Adams because they offered him a 4-year deal, and kind of outmanoeuvred themselves by committing to the deal and therefore having to get the player. We let them off the hook by settling for what Adams was "worth".
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully the clubs site has the right details (as in they get the facts right, I'd prefer to be wrong and have GC's 3rd rounder)

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...ve-draft-order

WB Western Bulldogs - 2019 round three draft selection (tied to Hawthorn via Jack Scrimshaw trade) via Marcus Adams trade

Post Thanks / Like

The future 3rd is at worst around 200 draft points next year. With two potential father sons, a bonus of 200+ draft points is great for the points and flexibility. So we’ve got this, and got our initial investment returned with pick 32. This is not a bad trade at all.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog, Mofra, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't it the case that Kelly would only go to the WCE's and that they didn't have anything close enough to how Geelong valued him? If so, it's probably not a comparable situation.

We're not the only club that states initial preferences that are inflated and not likely to be met. It's a crap way of negotiating but it is seemingly an industry standard. Also, if Adams is worth a present and future third rounder while under contract after not being able to get on the park regularly, what is he worth after another indifferent year under contract or with no contract at all? Given the market behaviour of this trade period, it probably wouldn't be much if anything at all.

Stating that we held all the cards is a narrow way of looking at this trade. From one perspective it seemed we had an advantage, but off-set against future exposure to risk of Adams falling over physically or playing ordinary football more often than not, what we ended up with is probably about right. If we had have dug our heels in then perhaps Brisbane may have gotten us our pick in the 20's, or perhaps they'd have just moved on and we'd have been stuck with that potential future exposure coupled with a player who clearly doesn't want to play for us.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Hold them to their contract.

Kelly and Geelong will be interesting test cases to see how that works out.
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but haven't we already done that once with Adams?

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't he sign an extension after he wasn't traded.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the timeline with Adams was something like this:
    Drafted 2015, 2 year contract until the end of 2017.
    Wanted a trade home after one (2016) season. We refused due to Hamling leaving as well.
    Signed a 3 year contract in May 2017 until the end of 2020.
    Wants a trade again after the 2018 season, as far away from home as possible this time.

12. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jordan Murdoch from the Cats hasn't signed a contract with them yet and I wonder if he or someone like him would he be worth having a chat to? How could we possibly now recruit an uncontracted player like him?

If we need to get more experience into the side as many suggest could we add someone like him?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Jordon Murdoch from the Cats hasn't signed a contract with them yet and I wonder if he or someone like him would he be worth having a chat to? How could we possibly now recruit an uncontracted player like him?

If we need to get more experience into the side as many suggest could we add someone like him?
    We have 8 spots when we delist Honeychurch. We will get 4 kids at the draft, plus two trades and two rookie upgrades. To find another spot either we have to delist Campbell (maybe rookie listing him) or someone retires (Webb if his neck is stuffed). If we really like a DFA, then I'd delist Campbell and risk losing him in the way to the rookie list (if Webb is OK to stay and play).
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    We have 8 spots when we delist Honeychurch. We will get 4 kids at the draft, plus two trades and two rookie upgrades. To find another spot either we have to delist Campbell (maybe rookie listing him) or someone retires (Webb if his neck is stuffed). If we really like a DFA, then I'd delist Campbell and risk losing him in the way to the rookie list (if Webb is OK to stay and play).
    We might be able to move someone like Webb to the rookie list to create an additional spot but you're probably right in that we almost have a full list
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on if you consider 'being open to a trade home' a demand to be traded. He didn't ever publicly state he wanted to leave or nominate a club and the clubs in WA didn't have much need for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We might be able to move someone like Webb to the rookie list to create an additional spot but you're probably right in that we almost have a full list
    Do you think the AFEL would give us special dispensation to do it? We'd still have to pay his full contract, but I guess opening a spot would be maybe worth it depending on the DFA if the AFEL allowed it with their powers.