Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  86
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

Every time we select what looks like a batshit crazy team we usually end up winning. That backline looks laughably short but the reality is the game will be won and lost in the middle.

Easton with direct accountability to a key forward is not a bad thing. Neither is Naughton up forward, who will provide real headaches for Rampe or Grundy.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I am biased but I think this is a very strong team. A powerful, early win is critical for us to counter negativity outside the bubble. A lot of our supporters seem a bit down at the moment. Not sure about inside the club but few rate us outside.
    What will kill us morale wise is getting big numbers around the ball with sloppy conversion. Our forwards must kick scores, even if we lose. The mindless bombing inside 50 may see me break some furniture.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Is that the shortest backline in the history of the AFL? I'm not confident at all going into this season and that team selection warrants my pessimism. But like Sedat said it's team sheets like that that we are likely to win in times gone past. In saying that I think that I would of like to see Trengove in and probably Duryea miss. The Dickson selection is a bit surprising considering he didn't play JLT. He is a good player though so I think he'll be fine. I would've like to see some pace off halfback also. With JJ injured I really hope Richards is played in his running position.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

4. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that team looks like it can kick goals, but can it stop them kicking more?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Playing someone tall just because they're tall isn't a theory Bevo subscribes too, but that line-up doesn't look easy on the eye.

#inbevowetrust

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Now that team looks like it can kick goals, but can it stop them kicking more?
    As we know it is up to the midfield to restrict the supply to the Swans forwards.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    As we know it is up to the midfield to restrict the supply to the Swans forwards.
    Are you confident that will happen?

And it seems we have all our eggs in the one basket with this one becuase if Sydney get clean ball it's hard to see how we stop them.

Post Thanks / Like

Dickson loves playing the Swans. They tend to struggle containing smart mid sized forwards who know where to find space inside F50.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Is that the shortest backline in the history of the AFL?
    Back in the day 185cm was a CHB height, but in the modern era the only equivalent I can think of is the game we let John Butcher from Port kick 6 goals against us a few years ago.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Are you confident that will happen?

And it seems we have all our eggs in the one basket with this one because if Sydney get clean ball it's hard to see how we stop them.
    I am never confident.

We have a pretty good midfield with Libba, Bont, Macrae, upcoming Dunkley and Mclean, so hopefully they get first use of the ball.

Libba should help out here with his tackling and ball winning ability which has been missed since 2016.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anybody got a long trenchcoat I could borrow? I've got a plan involving Caleb and Duryea to get some extra height in defence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Playing someone tall just because they're tall isn't a theory Bevo subscribes too, but that line-up doesn't look easy on the eye.

#inbevowetrust
    Are we planning to out run them and out rotate them through the midfield?
    I think he is confident we will perform well. It may not past the eye test but I still rate our chances
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo backs mobile Dogs to test Swans

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says his side might get "an advantage" by selecting promising ruckman Tim English ahead of the more experienced Jackson Trengove for his side's round one clash with Sydney on Saturday night.

Speaking at Whitten Oval on Friday, Beveridge acknowledged the difficult decision to leave out Trengove in a more mobile outfit to face the Swans at Marvel Stadium.

"It's a borderline selection between him and 'Jacko' Trengove. Tim gets it this week and hopefully he plays really well," Beveridge said.

"I'm happy enough if (Callum) Sinclair plays forward; means we might get an advantage in the ruck with Tim. It might be whoever blinks first."

Faith has been shown in the 205cm English, who has played nine games across his two seasons at the club. However, Beveridge's expectations are modest.

"I prefer not to put all the responsibility on this game. Coming out party? Maybe if the party lasts for 22 rounds," he said.

"He's a young man who's still got a significant amount of development in him and as has been written and reported he's put on a fair bit of weight. He's progressing into a mature AFL footballer, so it'll be a test for him.

"We're not expecting him to go out and get the three Brownlow votes."

While aware of the challenges associated with opting for a smaller line-up against a Swans side with several tall options, it hasn't deterred the Dogs from also naming swingman Aaron Naughton forward in a bid to beef up their scoring power.

"Everything about him (Naughton) says he could be a prolific key forward. I suppose the thing about him at the moment is are we robbing Peter to pay Paul?

"If you get to know Aaron, he wants to take on the world. You put an opportunity in front of him and all you see is a twinkle in his eye.

"I believe we'll really test the Swans out on Saturday night."

In positive injury news, key forward Tom Boyd is progressing well and could be declared fit to play in a month's time.

"(He's) still a little way away, but what we're seeing he's bright within himself and he's pretty happy with the progress he's making," Beveridge said.

"We're hoping at the end of the next four weeks he might be able to play again. It is really encouraging for us."

Post Thanks / Like

That article says to me we won't play both English and Trengove in the same team (unless of course we decide to put him back to FB)

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that for the most part the decreased capacity to interchange hasn't brought back the second ruck like most seemed to think it would.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -