Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fit Bulldog Tom Boyd ready to build on Grand Final heroics

Link

(God I love this Picture)

AFTER recovering from off-season shoulder and ankle operations, Tom Boyd says he's ready to build on his starring role in the Western Bulldogs' fairytale premiership triumph.

Much maligned during his first two seasons at Whitten Oval, the high-priced key forward has gained plenty of confidence from his September heroics and expects to play in the early rounds of the JLT Community Series.

The 21-year-old's breakout game in the 22-point Grand Final win over the Sydney Swans was threatened by a shoulder concern he managed from the mid-point of last season.

"(The shoulder) is feeling better than ever now that I've had the reconstruction done and I can't wait to get back into games," told Seven News.

"(Surgeon) Greg Hoy did a terrific job, and to the medical staff's credit they really looked after me last year and got me through until the end (of the season), which was a significant challenge."

After enduring constant scrutiny in his first two seasons at Whitten Oval due to his huge salary and modest form, Boyd went a long way to silencing his critics with a finish to the season he believes matured him as a player.

The No.1 draft pick's performances up forward were complemented by stints in the ruck, a role he expects to reprise in the club's premiership defence.

"I think the whole back end of the year was a real growing experience for me and I felt more and more comfortable out on the field," Boyd.

"I take great confidence in how I finished the year."

While he's only watched a replay of the Grand Final once, Boyd looks back fondly on the last of his three goals, where a fortuitous bounce in the dying minutes all but broke the club's 62-year premiership drought.

"I was surprised (the ball) sat up like that, but that's footy because we play with an oval ball and that's the fickle nature of the sport," Boyd said.

"I was fairly excited about the initial moment, but Liam Picken got over to me pretty quick.
    "He said 'just focus, because we've got a little bit of time to go'."

The task of replicating his September feats on a more regular basis in 2017 will be made easier by the arrival of Travis Cloke, and the return of Stewart Crameri from a year-long doping ban.

Boyd says the former Magpie has fitted in "seamlessly", and he's looking forward to forming an imposing partnership with the two-time All Australian.

"Trav has slotted into the club extremely well and he's a terrific guy," Boyd said.

"It's really nice have another big body (up forward), and with Stewart Crameri back as well, it's an exciting time."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks N/A, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, WBFC4FFC, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fit Bulldog Tom Boyd ready to build on Grand Final heroics

Cloke will do wonders for Boyd - we shoehorned Cordy into a tall forward role to split the tall defenders as Boyd was getting doubled teamed.
    Cordy played his role but Cloke is an upgrade as the higher tall forward/CHF.
    Will be interesting to see how Boyd goes in 2017, should see some improvement from his H&A form.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

4. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd says he's ready to build on his starring role in the Western Bulldogs' fairytale premiership triumph
    Just read that again and have a think about it. Who would have thought hey?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

6. Likes chef, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Just read that again and have a think about it. Who would have thought hey?
    Did we really win the Granny?

my self

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes ratsmac, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate how they call it a fortuitous bounce. That not bouncing through would have been extremely fortuitous for Sydney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I hate how they call it a fortuitous bounce. That not bouncing through would have been extremely fortuitous for Sydney
    I know! It bloody bounced in line with the goals!

11. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Serious question:

Is this the first article on Tom which does not overly focus on his salary?

I can't think of one, maybe the Quayle one late last year. This just refers to him as a high-priced key forward. Maybe journos are focusing on his footy??
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Likes Sedat, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Serious question:

Is this the first article on Tom which does not overly focus on his salary?

I can't think of one, maybe the Quayle one late last year. This just refers to him as a high-priced key forward. Maybe journos are focusing on his footy??
    Perhaps.

Pretty hard to ignore his footy given very very few players in recent history have taken 6 contested marks in a GF - pretty sure Gunston as a 2nd/3rd tall forward in 2013 was the last one.

Riewoldt matched Boyd's 8 mark haul in one of his GFs but only 1 of those was contested (and Riewoldt managed 3 goals in 3 grand finals, Boyd did it in one).

Boyd was damn close to a Normie at age 21 as a 200cm player. What will he be like at age 25?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Perhaps.

Pretty hard to ignore his footy given very very few players in recent history have taken 6 contested marks in a GF - pretty sure Gunston as a 2nd/3rd tall forward in 2013 was the last one.

Riewoldt matched Boyd's 8 mark haul in one of his GFs but only 1 of those was contested (and Riewoldt managed 3 goals in 3 grand finals, Boyd did it in one).

Boyd was damn close to a Normie at age 21 as a 200cm player. What will he be like at age 25?
    A multiple time premiership player, Norm Smith medalist and a talking point on whether he or Bonts is the most damaging player in the competition. If I had to guess.

And the comparison by Ling and others about his GF bring like Hawkin's 2011 GF. Tom did a fraction more than Hawkin's, but Tom also did it two years younger and with 40 games less experience.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

16. Likes Topdog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep would have been very unlucky to miss after it bounced.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I know! It bloody bounced in line with the goals!
    Yep would have been very unlucky to miss after it bounced.
    Dont forget there was a Sydney defender approaching at a rapid rate to make the spoil. For drama that moment had everything. The lot. One of the great moments of AFeL footy and pretty much every one of us was there trying to will or blow the ball in the right direction.

The noise afterwards. Wow.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Dont forget there was a Sydney defender approaching at a rapid rate to make the spoil. For drama that moment had everything. The lot. One of the great moments of AFeL footy and pretty much every one of us was there trying to will or blow the ball in the right direction.

Oh it was absolutely fantastic and absolutely brilliantly called by Cometti but it bounced in the square and also only bounced forward about 5m so to call it fortuitous annoys me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

Ok here you go... It was one of those ones slightly off the instep and I can't believe a kick actually traveled 60 that wasn't struck perfectly. It swings back in from the middle of the points and lands in line with the goals. Knowing those inswingers though they can go anywhere after they bounce.

21. Thanks Twodogs, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok here you go... It was one of those ones slightly off the instep and I can't believe a kick actually traveled 60 that wasn't struck perfectly. It swings back in from the middle of the points and lands in line with the goals. Knowing those inswingers though they can go anywhere after they bounce.

I think he just hits the sweet spot and that's all she wrote. Sometimes in cricket the bat hits the ball in exactly the right spot and a defensive nudge will fly past cover scorching the grass on the way to the boundary and you think "shit how did I do that?"

I think that's what Tom did. He doesn't get a lot of time to think, just picks up the ball and sizes things up then let's fly and just hits it sweetly. He's doing that at 21 when grand finals are on the line.

Solid investment.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

23. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was sitting behind the goals on the 2nd level, at the end that ball went through. When the ball bounced high the whole stand were on their feet and as Commetti said " The Stadium takes a deep breath", and we did. From our angle we couldn't tell whether the ball was over the line, but when that ball landed well over, it was a great moment, it was like the Bonti moment in the Prelim. I knew there and then, we had the GF in the bag.

25. Likes Topdog liked this post